Getting Ready for WESTFAC V

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Getting Ready for WESTFAC V

Postby Mitch » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:34 pm

Hello Fellow Builder's

Just got an email with this link and thought I would share: http://www.westernfac.com

My current builds are destined to fly at WESTFAC V this October. If anyone lives near Phoenix, I think you should plan to come and watch.

I see they are going to have 9 Mass Launches, so I need to build more planes. I think I will need at least a dozen models because I want to fly in every Mass Launch, also want to fly in 'embryo', '1/2 wakefield' and 'jet catapult' also.

New build, model Planes I have so far are:

Battle of Britain Mass Launch: Guillows Me109

Low Wing Military Trainer: Guillows Zero Kitbash:

FAC Rubber scale: 2 models Hellcat and Zero:

I do not think the Hellcat will be competitive in this event, but would like to see it fly for 20 seconds! Maybe?

WW 1 Mass Launch: SE5a:

I also need to finish my Guillows Me109Z (kitbash) for the double trouble Mass Launch!

Mitch

PS ALL the above models need to be test flown...
When that is done, and they are satisfactory I will finish to be ready for competition (panel lines, mg's etc).
Mitch

Re: Getting Ready for WESTFAC V

Postby Mitch » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:23 pm

Howdy Guillow Fans... I just got home and need to start finishing my models for WESTFAC V. I think if my P-38 flies, I will bring her along also. She can be entered in Jumbo Scale as her ws is greater than 36 inches! I will be busy, but I will be home until October!

I plan to build a few more planes and finish what I have underway. I will bring all the models I can make room as I want to fly in as many events as I can. Even if I know some of my models are not up to competition quality, they will come along. There will be 1 day of judging and then 3 days of flying over a feild of Alfalfa. The contest will be in Buckeye Arizona, a little west of Phoenix.

Mitch...Keep Building, Keep Flying, Enter contests for fun and learning!

PS: I am getting some skeletons out of the closet and hope to finish soon, Komet-163 and some Race Planes for the Golden Years.

PPS: My Hellcat although heavy, glides well, here wing loading is within a respectable range. I hope to get some powered flights in soon with a 12 inch prop!
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:13 pm

Howdy Flyers... I am back... And getting ready for WESTFAC V

I wanted to have more planes done...but I think I can muster up 9 or 10 flyers for the event. I will be dusting come off and fixing and finishing some.

Here is my proposed line up:

1. Guillow's BF-109 E, Highly modified specifically built for WESTFAC V, (Picture 1) some early test flights are good. Battle of Britain Mass Launch
2. Guillow's Zero kitbash, Low wing Military trainer. (Picture 2) Mass Launch. Early trim flight good but broke wing in transport...will fly with broken wing
3. Dumas Kit PT-19 Low wing Military trainer, Flew in Denver...Back up plane for the Zero.
4. Guillow's Hellcat. Early Test glides are good... this is one big plane! (Picture 3)
5. Guillow's Zero. Can fly in scale. No test flights yet. (Picture 4)
6. Guillow's 100 series SE5. WW1 Mass Launch. She flew at my nearby field. I wanted a Fokker, but she is the only WW1 plane I have now. (Picture 5)
7. Guillow's FW-190. Built for the Guillow Challenge...she will fly at WESTFAC, Built will ALL Guillow's wood, with some modifications.
8. Guillow's BF-109E (Afrika) came in 3rd place in WESTFAC IV. Damaged in Denver...Home from display at the Hobby Shop... She will fly again.
9. Dumas, Storck...Flew and crashed in windy Denver, repaired and will go into service.
10. Guillow's P-51 Mustang...Miss Scarlet, Flew and crashed in Denver...can she make a comeback???

Without any further ado... I need to get working on repairs and finishing...

Mitch

PS: The weather is now raining so there will be no test flights... I will be driving down and staying in Las Vegas for a few days as I will be attending a Ballroom Dancing Event there! Then on to Phoenix and the flight line!
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:18 am

UPDATE: 3 days left before I start my trip...

I am reducing the field to 6 models for WESTFAC V. I think this is more manageable for me.

1. Me-109E, Battle of Britain Mass Launch, model is ready
2. Zero Trainer, Low Wing Military Trainer Mass Launch, Model has field repair to broken wing, model is ready
6. SE5, WW1 Mass launch, Rigging and Landing Gear finished, needs mg's and exhaust pipes
7. FW-190, plan to fly at WESTFAC to get times for the Guillow challenge, model prepping for paint shop. (Rattle Cans)
8. Me-109E, My 3rd place flyer at WESTFAC IV will enter the Scale Competition. model is ready
9. Dumas Stork, model is repaired and ready. I am not sure which category she will fly, but she has flown before and will fly next week!

That's it for now...Off to my meeting with my Model Train Club, then work on planes, then put on my dance shoes this afternoon!

Mitch

PS: I do not expect to win or even get any 3rd place at WESTFAC...but I know my planes can fly and I am going to have FUN! :D
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:35 pm

Hey Guys and Gals...

I am painting my FW with rattle cans and she might be getting heavy, but I like the results.

A few more passes and then the paper markings. I will post pictures tomorrow.

1. Model built with all Guillow wood and Guillow Silkspan Paper.
2. Sprayed on dope with Luster Coate Crystal Clear
3. Attached all plastic parts and wing fairings and another coat of dope.
4. Attached Canopy (Masked), Now painting with Tamiya Rattle Cans

Colors Used so far:

1. Light Blue (Luftwaffe) AS-5
2. Medium Gray AS-28
3. Gray Violet (Luftwaffe) AS-4
4. Matt White TS-27
5. Matt Black TS-6

For Bottom of Cowl Marking I plan to use

6. Yellow TS-16

and I have a Testors for a fuselage band color

7. Flat Red 1250

I hope the Testors does not react with the Tamiya

Mitch

PS: I plan to enter the Storck in Rubber Simple Scale

UPDATE:

Here is Red 13 so far...

I decided to get the markings on before the red band on the rear of the fuselage...sorry the tail got cut out of the shot...It is white with the 200 Victory marking and Iron Cross... working on the spinner now...This plane flew before painting and her time was 28 seconds, and the motor was just a test motor!

Here are more pics:

I think I will leave it at this for now... Needs MG's and panel lines. Plane will have 3 blade prop with painted spiner for show and fly without spinner and a 9 inch peck prop.
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:40 am

Stayed up way too late last night, but I finished the MG's and Wing Cannons. I will leave the spinner white for now to match the white tail. Leaving off the red fuselage strip until she gets another test flight...
On to finishing the next model for WESTFAC...

Mitch

PS: There are mistakes all the way though this model... I like painting and if she flies this may be the future way to build for me... I will be curious to see what type of score I get...still need to add panel lines.
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:29 pm

Okay... New lineup and the Hellcat is back in...

7 planes total... Here are my entrants and the weights (Without Motors). 4 Mass Launch Events. For Mass Launch the model only needs to pass inspection to be allowed into that category. It is ALL about flight time. Best of 3 Heats of flying with no adjustments between Heats.

Day One
1. Battle of Britain, Mass Launch. New Gullows (with contest wood) Me109 E, 70 grams
2. WW1 Mass Launch. 100 series Guillows SE5, 61 grams (still needs mg's and exhaust)

Day Two
3. WW2 Mass Launch. Guillows 1000 series Hellcat. 135 g

Day Three

4. Low Wing Military Trainer Mass Launch, Guillows Kitbash Zero, 80 g

and during the 3 days I plan to enter 3 more models. These events are a combines score of 1.Workmanship 2. Accuracy of prototype 3. Flight Time
FAC Rubber Scale
5. Guillows Me 109 F, This is my Afrika Korps plane. 88 g
6. Guillows FW 190, Red 13 my latest plane, 89 g

and for Simplified scale (because she does not have much detail)
7. Dumas Storch 85 g

I am very pleased with the weight of the FW. She is only 1 gram more than my Me-109 F, and the FW was built as per rules of the 2015 Guillow Challenge. I do not expect my planes to win, but I will be there flying, and I hope the FW will reach 20 seconds, then she will be in the record books at FAC! She already flew for 28 seconds but that was before her paint job.

Mitch, FAC, Eagle Squadron... Always Building, Always Learning, Always Helping...
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:11 am

I have all the details on the SE5. Only need to draw the separation lines. Not my best effort for details, but I finished them quickly and this model does not get judged for looks. For Mass Launch she needs only to pass inspection. This is strictly a timed event.

So MG's and Exhaust pipes and basic rigging NEEDS to be represented in 3d...

I used the bead bushings on the inside of the wheel, then glued one outside each wheel to secure the wheels on.

The model weighs 57 grams without the prop. the prop weighs 6, so that is 63, so she gained 2 grams with the extras. So that is heavy for a model going into a contest...but she is the only WW1 plane I have that has flown.

So into battle she will go... onto the the field of alfalfa!

Mitch

PS: This model kit is my 3rd production. My first one I built when I was 10 y/o, Second Guillow model after the Fokker D8. I tried to fly the model and it was a disaster. I built a new SE5, and it hung in my room until replaced with model of the 400 series. This model has flown and I will proudly enter her into WESTFAC V...only took me nearly 50 years... I plan to have 1 day in AZ before I go to the field and I will make up my motors at that time...

UPDATE: Since I retrieved my Guillows Me109 F from the hobby shop I gave him a Dumas kit to hang. It is the TWA Alpha model with a nice silver finish. After WESTFAC V, I think I will show him my NEW FW-190 that is painted...I think he will like that and it will look more finished like the plastic models in his shop...AND IT FLIES!!!
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:56 am

Blood, sweat and tears for two years. That is what it took to build this armada of flying craft...
All these models are in flight condition. Some have flown in battle, others only test glides...this is my collection for WESTFAC 5. Some were damaged and needed major re building. Most of the builds and repairs were shared with you here.

I have learned so much in 2 years since WESTFAC 4. With the help from friends at FAC and you all here I am going to this competition with my BEST flying aircraft I have ever produced.

They will never be assembled together in this condition again. But I am already looking forward to the next 2 years of continued improvements and better flying times. It is not raining now so I will load them in my truck.

On this trip I will also be dancing in Las Vegas, golfing in Arizona, attending a model train show in Sacramento. I am looking forward to having quality time with my Dad, the Flight Engineer who has passed his love of aircraft flying and design to me.

I have been planning this vacation for 2 years now and I will leave early tomorrow morning... Tonight I will share a dinner with my daughter, a senior at UW in Seattle.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby goose » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:43 pm

Nice Hangar full of planes there Mitch.
Good Luck at WestFac V!
Creating Sawdust.
goose

Postby davidchoate » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:01 am

I am now experimenting with Biplanes. You said You think your SE5 was a bit heavy, but it has two wings. I was wondering what Your flight times were like on it, and general performance.
davidchoate

Postby Mitch » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:56 am

All loaded up and ready to go...17.25 hours to Las Vegas. 2 days by road for me. I will be there for 4 days before I go to AZ.

Heavy...compared to my friend in the FAC. 2 wings are not as efficient as 1 large wing of the same area. I only flew her a few times at my local flying field last summer. I think I posted pictures of her in the air. Check out the thread that includes "Meadowbrook Farm" I did not record times but I would say maybe 10 seconds or so...but that was just trim flights. But now she is heavier with landing gear finished and other details.

We will see how she flies...

It has been my dream for almost 50 years to see this little plane fly and now she will be in a National Contest...

...Don't expect any miracles in flight...

my joy will that she will take part and I will be with my friends doing our hobby together!

Mitch...Cheerio...
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:56 am

West FAC 5 is over. All my models flew... I will give full report when I get home next week... my little SE 5 flew like a champ.
Mitch

Postby backyardbalsapilot » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:30 pm

Mitch,

Your Fw-190 and Me-109 are in pictures on HPA.

Here's a link: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa ... ic=19864.0
backyardbalsapilot

Postby Mitch » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Yes...Indeed they are...and the FW was built for the 2015 Guillow challenge. I need to get home and post pictures. ..I will just say she flew over 20 seconds...more info when I get home. We have an FAC photographer and I should have more pictures when I get home. I really liked the look of a painted Warbird in the sky. She looked like she was a bird of prey on the hunt...with those long canon protruding from her wings...
Mitch

Next

Return to General Building Questions