DHC-2 Beaver Done and Done New member/first attempt at build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

DHC-2 Beaver Done and Done New member/first attempt at build

Postby trh351 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:51 pm

Hello all,
I've been a plastic model builder (mainly cars) for about 45 years. The last model airplane I built was almost 30 years ago. Oddly enough I have been repairing full size aircraft since 1982. So, a few weeks ago I was in Hobby Lobby looking at cars to see what was new or reissued to build. I walked to the area where they keep closeout models for sale and saw they sold quick build balsa and foam kits and it triggered me to explore. The only "real" balsa kit they has was the Guillow's P-51 Mustang #905. Not exactly what I was looking for. I remember my dad bought a Focke-Wulf FW 190 when I was little, but never started it. I was impatient and attempted to build it, but just made a mess. I thought I'll by the kit and build it correctly. I looked at availability on eBay and other sources and thought maybe I need more research.
I started reading RC forums and this forum and discovered maybe I want to start with one of the laser cut kits. I liked the P-40 Warhawk and went to my LHS to see what they had in stock. Well, not so much was in stock, but I did see a DHC-2 Beaver and seeing how I work for Bombardier and they own de Haviland (though no longer the rights to build DHC-1 to DHC-7s) I thought company plane, I'll do it.
Last week I dug in, bought a large cork bulletin board and a bunch of straight pins. I have glue, tools and misc. stuff to build plastic and the wife has wax paper to act as a release agent for any extra glue. I was blown away how easy and quickly this kit went together. Laser cut is awesome. I'm building purely for fun and display, so weight is not a factor to me. I wasn't planning on flying it anyway. My next step is covering so wish me luck.

Last edited by trh351 on Wed May 06, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trh351

Re: New member/first attempt at building

Postby Brenda » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:00 am

Frame up looks great. Covering can be tricky for new folks.
Brenda

Postby Mitch » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:40 am

If you are not going to fly, there was no need to put in the peg retainer pieces. I think you should attempt to fly with kit rubber as per instructions. But that's just me talking. Enjoy you build. Build the way you want. If you have any questions we are here.

Looks good.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby davidchoate » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:23 am

Very very good job.
davidchoate

Postby The Cameraman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:48 am

Hi TRH351,

what a fine job.

I've also bought a Beaver for my first attempt and really look forward to the weather warming up a little to make the task a more comfortable one.

If mine's half as good as your's, I'll be most happy.

Regards

Reggie
Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman

Postby trh351 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:53 pm

A little slow on the follow up, but thanks for all the good words. I finally got up the courage to paper the thing a couple a weeks ago and finally sealed it up with Krylon a couple of days ago. I'll paint it when the weather clears up. I painted the fuse wood grey with an airbrush because I didn't want the raw wood to show through the windows. More to come as I progress.
trh351

Postby BillParker » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:07 pm

If this is truly your first try at stick and tissue modeling, you've done a superb job! (I don't doubt that it is your first try, but... WOW!) Thank you for sharing your project! Stay with it, as the adventure is just beginning... Think... WARBIRDS!

Ha ha!

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Balsa Pilot » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:00 am

Wow, nice job. Just finished the same aircraft, and it is noted what a nice job you made of the covering/windshield are on the front of the aircraft. Smooth and seamless.
Oddly, I used to work just over the east field fence in the yard @ CYZD. Spent hours watching the Challenger and anything else that happened to "drop in" for maintenance.
Keep up the good work, it seems you have a definite knack!

Blue side up!

Henry
Balsa Pilot

Postby PsyberPhlier » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:01 pm

Very nice job on the covering. I wish I had your skill!

I have an almost finished Dumas version that I pulled off the building board to do my Fairchild 24 build... Now I cant wait to get back to it.

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby The Cameraman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:42 pm

Fine work Good Sir,

Regards

Reggie
Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman

Postby trh351 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:55 pm

It's taken some time, but I finally got a break in the weather and was able to paint and decal. It's still only mocked up. Once the paint drys a little more, I'll cut the openings for the windows, clear it, and final assembly. I'm happy with the way it turned out. Papering was the worst part.
Thanks for all the positive encouragement.
trh351

Postby gordonfan24 » Sun May 03, 2015 1:15 am

Wow! That's enviable craftsmanship! Thanks for sharing, first and foremost. We all have such a desire to make a excellent representative display of aircraft that we admire. It really shows in your work. Kudos to you sir.
"If you enjoy what you do for a living, you'll never work a day in your life."
gordonfan24

Re: DHC-2 Beaver Done and Done New member/first attempt at b

Postby trh351 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:00 pm

OK, it's done. I could not have done it without the help of this forum. There are tons of different threads to help a new builder. Also kudos to Guillow's laser cut kit. I had fun building this kit and I may return to build another. Thanks again for all the positive comments.
trh351

Return to General Building Questions