UK supplier of the Beaver floats?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

UK supplier of the Beaver floats?

Postby The Cameraman » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:24 am

Good Morning to all,

I bought the lovely laser cut Beaver kit and reckon it's about time that I got off my backside and built it but I've always reckoned that a Beaver is only truly a Beaver, when it's on floats.

I've been searching for a supplier of the float kit in the UK but I've totally drawn a blank.

So, do any of our members know where I can place an order, without being crippled by mega postage and import cots from the USA?

Regards

Reggie
Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman

Re: UK supplier of the Beaver floats?

Postby Brenda » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:36 am

Howdy,

If it's just for show you can make them out of 1/16 balsa sticks. Go onto Outerzone and download plan for Aeronca K Seaplane and look at how it is made. I've built a few sets using same method as Comet did and they look fine. I did the same thing when I was a kid building the Rufe, threw away kit floats and built them up. If your going to put it on water then you will need to sheet them with 1/32 balsa and LOTS of dope.
Brenda

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:15 pm

Cameraman,

Last time I looked, the plan sheet for the floats was in the kit. What you order from Guillow is a laser cut parts sheet for the floats. You can build them from the plan.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby The Cameraman » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi Brenda,

the plan is for it to hang from my ceiling, so as long as they're to scale then that'll be fine.

Regards

Reggie
Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman

Postby The Cameraman » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:17 pm

Hi Howard,

I just assumed that the postage charges would be vast, as everything else I've ordered from the US has been.

I winder if I can order directly from Guillow's themselves or could you direct me to a supplier that'll ship to the UK?

Regards

Reggie
Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman

Postby kittyfritters » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:03 pm

The Cameraman wrote:Hi Howard,

I just assumed that the postage charges would be vast, as everything else I've ordered from the US has been.

I winder if I can order directly from Guillow's themselves or could you direct me to a supplier that'll ship to the UK?

Regards

Reggie

Reggie,

The parts sheets are $3.50 each and the plan, if not in the kit, is $1.50. That's a total of $8.50 for the floats. Now, if you still want the parts sheet from Guillow request that they send it USPS First Class Mail International. The last time I sent modelling material to the UK it cost $15.00, but that was about half of what the shipping would have been by UPS or FED-EX. Now as far as what Her Majesty's Customs and Excise people are going to charge you to get it into the country, that, my friend, is entirely another issue. :wink:

It's up to you.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby The Cameraman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi Howard,

thanks for that matey.

Regards

Reggie
Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:06 am

If you can get the plans, the floats are pretty simple to cut parts for and scratch build. I used the plan to build mine. I need to get back on the Beaver, since it flew off fine but had insufficient aileron control, as I made them fairly small. It now has rudder mixing but I haven't gotten around to flying it again. I used 1/32" wood for the formers and sheeting, which came out surprisingly light.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby The Cameraman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi Bill

ta for your comments.

Regards

Reggie
Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:28 pm

You're welcome Reggie. If you plan to fly the model, then cutting the wood from 1/32" would be very desirable. My floats ended up at 10gms each, with Parklite iron-on covering and sheeting. Without sheeting and covered with silkspan they probably would have weighed a good bit less than 10gms for the pair, which should be acceptable for a rubber flyer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby The Cameraman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi Bill,

the first one will be a static 'test mule', which will proudly hang from my ceiling but who knows about the second one!

Regards

Reggie
Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:52 pm

Should be a fine rubber flyer. Go for it. Mine flew off without issue, until turning with the small ailerons. Should be fine with rudder mix, but I never got around to it.
Bill Gaylord

Return to General Building Questions