Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby mattking » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:42 am

I built a few 500 kits in the early 80's

These are my first since then.
500 Series Hurricane....first model I have built in over 30 years....and a lot of learning again.
500 Series spitfire...Getting better
400 Series P40
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mattking

Re: Newbie

Postby Brenda » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:07 am

oOooOo I like those! What tissue did you use?
Brenda

Postby mattking » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:46 am

I used the kit material. I don't really know much about different ones. I did plank the fuselage of the P-40 and used extra 1/16 stringers on the wings for a smooth look.
mattking

Postby phil64 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:43 pm

They look great!The P-40 is choice!
phil64

Postby davidchoate » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:41 am

Beautiful paint jobs and detail
davidchoate

Postby TomGuillow » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:27 pm

matking:

Super job. Museum quality for sure.

Can you advise:

1 - Were these covered with tissue or Silkspan?

2 - What did you use to prime the balsa and attach the fabric?

3 - What paint was used?

Thanks... Tom
TomGuillow

Postby mattking » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks for the encouragement.

The p40 was a lot of learning,

I have taken A LOT of inspiration from various ideas of virtual aerodrome and here and added my own touches. I had a bear of a time with the shark nose mouth. Even with solvent the decal was hard to work with. And I positioned it too low at the rear. I ended up painting and blending the mouth at the front of the cowl scoops, then filling the height difference with a little extra clear, far from perfect.
I went a different route than most with the canopy. I masked it first then trimmed it fitting in to the fuselage sealing up the cockpit. I used wood putty to blend it in

I am working on a PT17 Stearman now.

Tom,
I used the Kit tissue its only on 2/3 of the wings. But I did double the wing stringers top and bottom for a smooth look Fuselage is planked with scrap as well as the wing top above the wheel wells. The wing tips are laminated scrap. I am not familiar with the different tissues or coverings being new (as an adult) to this hobby. The rudder and tail is a 1/16 frame with 1/32 skins. It gives a nice thickness.

I use a mix of white glue and water to prime prior to tissue application... I use many light nearly dry coats to avoid saturating the balsa and avoid warp.
I use a thinner mix of the same to adhere the tissue at the seams. A final seal of couple of coats or Krylon Acrylic seal does the job prior to priming and paint.

This was my first time using an air brush, so it took me some time. Also the first time I ever used acrylic paints. When I was younger it had always been dope and enamel paints.

I used dark green from Tamiya. and Dark earth from model master paints. Both acrylics. I top cleared 2 light coats of krylon matte acrylic clear.
I am pleased with the quality of acrylic paints especially the Tamiya. Go on even and dry very quick. I can use them indoors without fear and clean up of brushes, tools and such is a breeze.
mattking

Return to General Building Questions