AMA EXPO 2015

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

AMA EXPO 2015

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:39 pm

The AMA EXPO will, once again, be held at the Ontario Convention Center in Ontario California on January 09, 10, and 11. I will be there, all three days, at a table in the Black Sheep Squadron area in the Education and Demo Flying room. This is the only place in the EXPO devoted to free-flight models and stick and tissue construction.

I will demonstrate wet covering technique and building and flying one or two models during the show. Other Black Sheep members will be demonstrating building and covering techniques.

The Black Sheep Squadron also runs the free Build-Fly-Take program for the kids with performance enhanced Skystreaks and gliders. There will be frequent mass-launch contests for the kids as well as demo flights by Black Sheep members in the room.

If all goes well, I will also have a couple of flying prototypes of something new (Not new Guillow's kits...don't start any rumors!).

If you were planning to go to the EXPO or will simply be in the area and have the opportunity I hope to see you there.

Howard
kittyfritters

Re: AMA EXPO 2015

Postby Brenda » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:25 am

I will see you there. Little bridy told me Smith Brothers will be there too
Brenda

Postby scigs30 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:54 am

I'll be there Friday and Saturday.
scigs30

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Brenda wrote:I will see you there. Little bridy told me Smith Brothers will be there too

Yes, they will. Probably the only place in the show you can buy free-flight and stick and tissue. Booth #101, I have been told.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:09 am

I apologize to those who missed me on Friday. I was late getting there due to personal problems in the morning. I have every intention of being there all day on Saturday and Sunday!

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby Brenda » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:25 am

kittyfritters wrote:I apologize to those who missed me on Friday. I was late getting there due to personal problems in the morning. I have every intention of being there all day on Saturday and Sunday!

Howard

Hey Howard I'll be heading that way at 0900 today and no idea what time on Sunday. I have to drop off a USGI tow bar first but will be there shortly.

Brenda
Brenda

Postby Brenda » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:29 pm

Hey Howard it was great seeing you today. Now that I've seen some of the other ways to do things I'm going to hit up Guillows for that silk span and other goodies I never knew they had. Well I knew they had it but for some reason I assumed it was like the stuff they sold in the late 1970's.

Brenda
Brenda

Postby Billy Mc » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:18 pm

The only covering material I see on their site is white tissue.
Billy
Billy Mc

Postby kittyfritters » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:43 pm

Look for the tissue that they sell as a replacement part for the 400 Series and larger models. They call it tissue but it is actually silkspan.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby scigs30 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:43 am

Sorry I missed you on Friday Howard, but it was still fun visiting your club, great group of guys. The AMA Expo has changed since I first started going in the 80s, used to be a bunch of kits. Now it is Foamies and 4 rotor craft, just not my thing. There is only 1 or 2 booths that sell a small amount of kits. It is a shame, looks more like a toy convention now. The best part about he show is the Black Sheep Squadron, their builds are fantastic and Don, a great builder is nice and will give you all the tips you want. Don had some bare boned planes on display and the builds were nice and clean. I asked him about his glue of choice and I was surprised to find out he uses Bob Smith CA. When I use CA I make a mess and my planes look terrible so it was hard to believe his were built with CA. He gave me some advise of using Med ca not the thin stuff and using a small applicator. I got home and wanted to give it a try so I did. I decided to build a Walt Mooney Bostonian using CA, 14 hours later the bones were done. I cannot say I am giving up on Elmers White glue but CA is a nice option for building fast if needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scigs30

Return to General Building Questions