2015 Challenge, FW-190 "Red 13"

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

2015 Challenge, FW-190 "Red 13"

Postby Mitch » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:20 pm

Hello Guillow and Challenge Fans,

I plan to show a few features of how I plan to build my 2015 challenge plane. My purpose is to share what I know and help anyone else achieve a good looking model that will fly under rubber power. I am going with the 400 series as this is my favorite lineup of Guillow kits. I choose the FW because I like the radial engine design for ease of motor insertion and thrust adjustment. The Zero would do nicely also, but the German planes have more options for paint schemes.

I have chosen my prototype:

I plan to make some modifications to the model, but stay within the guidelines of the challenge. I will sacrifice some performance as I plan to paint the model to achieve the desired look.

The building has begun with the standard fuselage construction.

Mitch
Mitch

Re: 2015 Challenge, FW-190 "Red 13"

Postby davidchoate » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:18 pm

Mitch. I have the same kit. I want to do it as a off rubber modEL. Or a super detailed display.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:18 pm

Mitch. I have the same kit. I want to do it as a off rubber modEL. Or a super detailed display.
davidchoate

Postby Mitch » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:32 pm

I hope to have this as my best detailed model yet, but still want it to fly. The fuselage is off the board now and 2nd side frames are in. I will put in the side keels next. On the board now is the tail.

I plan to build the tail fin in 2 parts. Making the rudder separate as it is a different color anyway. I plan to build up the tail fin a little thicker to blend with the fuselage better like the 800 and 1000 models.

I am willing to sacrifice a heavier model as this is intended to compete with similar Guillow kits, and not in the FAC.

I do not plan to post every step of the build, I will post things that I change to show you what I did, how, and why.

Mitch... Building with NO secrets, so you can see exactly what I am doing.
Mitch

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:52 am

Should be a nice one. I almost went with that scheme on the last 190 and is a favorite. I have waterslide decals from an Alfa model that I was thinking of using, although they would have been a bit large. A person can spend hours searching FW190 schemes. Faring in the v-stab will really look good also on the 190. I almost did that on the last one, but with all the r/c gear the weight was a concern. BTW you should be able to have the nose lengthening option while still being scale, since it's an A5-A8 model.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Brenda » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:17 am

I have to share my experience with the butcher bird. Back in the 1990's I built a scale .40 sized R/C version of the FW-190D9 made by I think Top Flight. Plane had every rivet and panel even writing in German on it. Kit called for .40 sized motor. Well being such a short nose a .40 just would not do. I had to put 50 metric tons of ballistic in the nose, well perhaps not that much, but I did empty 4 12gu 00Buck shells in the nose. Then put on a heavy hub. Put on a .90 with tuned pipe. Plane was proof even a brick can fly if you put enough thrust on it. I did scale combat with it for some time. Mustang could turn inside me, roll faster, and loop quicker. 190 could climb like a rocket and dive like a nuke powered brick on steroids. With 12oz of gas I could get a 7min flight. Problem was after one fight with a P40 and P51 I was in the air for 7.1min. The .90 stopped and the 190 had the glide path of a brick tied to a anvil tied to a tank. I pushed the nose down trying to gain a little airspeed only to find terra firma was to close. Entire nose ripped off to LE of wing. The sudden stop was so...well sudden that the tail bent up and over the cockpit. After the demise of that craft I started using Bf-109's in scale combat with much better luck....till flat spin....but that's another story..
Brenda

Postby Mitch » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:48 am

Thanks for sharing, and yes I understand the short nose is going to be a disadvantage. Building the D version would probably be better, but this is for the Guillow challenge and I will build the kit and follow the plans.
D version is bottom left.

I meant to have a plane in the 2014 contest and built the skeleton in the first month... then never finished the model.

I love the 400 series and hope to have a few models built for this challenge. I am thinking right now 2 German and 2 American.

The purpose of this build is to show new comers how I make a few changes and I hope the plane will fly reasonably, and then present it to my LHS for display. Since I want it to hang at the Hobby Store I want it to look nice to attract attention, and can say that it flies!

So one of the MAJOR changes I will be doing is I opened up the cowling. Carefully removed the cooling fan, (I will use that) and I will move the rear peg position forward 2 bays. I will carefully remove some of the wood from the fuselage now before I add the stringers.

So 3 changes at this time... The reason for opening up the cowling is that I will make an adjustable thrust bearing. The reason I move the rear peg forward is to have the center of mass of the rubber over the CG of the plane. The reason I will remove wood is for lightening the model and make sure there is room for my blast tube for winging the motor.

Mitch

PS: When I was at the LHS the other day to get the reference book for this project, I asked "Does my model help sales?" The owner said "I sold all my laser cut kits that I had in stock!" :D

UPDATE: It is too late to change the length of the nose, as the fuselage is what I built first and used the laser parts as is. Maybe in another model of the FW, I would move B1 forward about 3/8 inch.
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:29 pm

I am adding the stringers so I can install BB. I thought I would show these clamps for people who do not know about them.
The blue clamps are made for model aircraft building and are now made by Excel, previously X-Acto. Although not necessary, once you own them you will use them in every build.

... and the tail. I plan to add 1/16 balsa and strips to the V-tail, to increase the girth and flair to fuselage. I will use scrap wood from the kit.
...again these pin clamps, they are very helpful, available at "Shorty's Basement" and other places. They slip over a 1 inch "T" pin.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby PsyberPhlier » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:01 pm

Hey Mitch, where did you get those cool little blue clamps?

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby davidchoate » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:56 pm

Dumb Question, But is that a 400 kit?, and is the G Challenge this year, any warbird?
davidchoate

Postby Billy Mc » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:10 pm

PsyberPhlier wrote:Hey Mitch, where did you get those cool little blue clamps?

Ted

I had the same question not long ago. You can find them here http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/sxa.htm.
Billy
Billy Mc

Postby PsyberPhlier » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:17 pm

LOL I just found that question on your other post...

Thank you!

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby Mitch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:01 am

This years challenge is 24's and 16's. Basically all the models that are 1/24 scale or 1/16 scale. For WW2 that will include all of the 400 series, all the 1000 series and the 2001 P-38 Lightning!

I plan to build at least 4 new models for this contest. First up is kit 406, FW-190. I think the 1000 series are better suited for electric flight which I do not do. My current plan is to build new models for this challenge and show you how I build my models. When each model is done I will post the 3 views on the Yahoo Group and the flight times. I will not try to improve on that model after I post the times.

I plan to follow this model with another Me-109, then a Mustang, then I am ready to attempt the P-38 for rubber power... so stay tuned.

Here is the V-fin, built up. I added 1/16 balsa from kit. I will trim down and sand:
I did not build up the back 3/32 riser as I will sand down to that and the ruder will be just 3/32.

I am not building this model for maximum flight time, but for scale points, and hope it will have a respectable flight time.

Mitch

UPDATE:

After 10 minutes of trimming and sanding, i have this:
This tail part weighs 2 grams. My typical V-tail with rudder weighs 1 gram.

I can still trim away a bit of the C parts as my 1/16 overlay was not as wide.
Mitch

Postby davidchoate » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:56 am

Nice work Mitch. As usual. Did you hear. I finally got the hang of trimming a FF plane.! My Bird dog. I am going to do a Cessna 180 now. I think thats in the same series as the Bird dog. I used 1.5 times peg to prop FAI motor, alot of right and down thrust, and changed the horizontal stab decolage( I think thats what its called) as per David Lewis' advice. If I wound Her up to 500 turns, I could get very long flights, but am limiting to 250 tops due to a very small field with alot of trees. Thanx Mitch for all your help. It only took 3 years for Me to get it. LOL.
davidchoate

Postby scigs30 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:56 am

I'll be entering a rubber powered built from the box 1000 series P-47. If I I have time I'll enter a 400 series as well.
scigs30

Next

Return to General Building Questions