Edge 540 Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Edge 540 Build

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:35 pm

I'm back from school for about a month so I figured I'd take some of the time to build a new plane. I just finished a Peck-Polymers 13" Druine Turbulent that I had started about six months ago:
Now its on to an Edge 540. I've had the kit sitting around for awhile and wanted a quick build. I just finished the frames but it'll be a little over a week until I can get around to covering it because I'm going to be out of town.

More to come soon!
Arlo DiPasquale

Re: Edge 540 Build

Postby davidchoate » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:07 pm

What did you coat it with. Looks like some kind of acrylic primer? And Your builds are beautiful.
davidchoate

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:28 pm

I actually didn't coat it with anything besides a 50/50 white glue-water mixture. I think the frame looks white because of the camera's flash.
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:18 pm

Nice Druine. I have that little Druine in the display cabinet, built when I was around 12. It's not deserving of being shown :shock: but I still get a kick out of it whenever I look at it. :D I've thought about it as an ultra-micro rc, since the plans are now available. Can't be anymore difficult than the Edge was. I got one good flight out if it and won't risk it again. It had to be flown very carefully as an rc model.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:16 am

Well...a little over a year later, and have finally found the time to finish the Edge 540. I was a little rusty and the covering job shows it, but all in all I think it turned out okay. It went together great, I really like the newly designed kits.
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby backyardbalsapilot » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:33 pm

Fantastic job! The edge was one of my most enjoyable Guillow's builds, even though I majorly screwed up painting it. I did find the wheel pants to be annoying, however.
backyardbalsapilot

Postby davidchoate » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:54 pm

Are you going to use it for a display model? I noticed the scale dihedral. I built one as a TV model,but never flew it after hearing how difficult to fly . I am curious as to why.
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:27 am

Nice looking Edge. I still have the little Druine also, that I built when I was around 12. Doesn't quite look like your Druine though! :D
My sheeted Edge may have flown better if it was lighter, but I did get it to fly. Done again for r/c, I probably would change the section to something more Clark Y-ish.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:47 am

davidchoate wrote:Are you going to use it for a display model? I noticed the scale dihedral. I built one as a TV model,but never flew it after hearing how difficult to fly . I am curious as to why.

It's not going to fly, currently it is hanging from my ceiling.
backyardbalsapilot wrote:Fantastic job!

Thanks !
Bill Gaylord wrote:Nice looking Edge. I still have the little Druine also, that I built when I was around 12. Doesn't quite look like your Druine though! :D
My sheeted Edge may have flown better if it was lighter, but I did get it to fly. Done again for r/c, I probably would change the section to something more Clark Y-ish.

Built 100% stock the Edge was pretty heavy, so I decided to not even bother trying to fly it. Also, the Druine unfortunately does not look so good anymore, when I was away at college somebody broke off the stabilizer, rudder and windscreen :(
Arlo DiPasquale

Return to General Building Questions