Kit 701 LC Fairchild 24 Build / RC Conversion

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Kit 701 LC Fairchild 24 Build / RC Conversion

Postby PsyberPhlier » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:08 pm

LOL So, I wasn't going to work on this anymore today... then the mail showed up with my itty bitty 4.4g Turnigy servos. I just had to make a tray...

The tray is 1/16 in sheet balsa with a couple of 1/4 in wide by 1/16 in thick runners glued to it.

The servo tray mounts in the cockpit at the base of the side windows. You can kinda make it out in the scale picture.

Speaking of the scale, WOOHOO! 67 grams less the motor, esc, wing and covering. Note, the battery shown is my heaviest 2S lipo at about 30g. I should meet my target of right around 100 - 110 grams.

Ted
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby davidchoate » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:41 pm

Nice. What size motor are you thinking of using? I am getting better at choosing good motor, batt, and ESC combos. I know a lot more than I did 3 years ago, but have alot to learn yet. Especially concerning prop selection. I am always interested to know how the motor works out when I follow a builders thread. It helps Me when its My time to select. And I am beginning to accumulate a good selection of stuff to use, and change. I sometimes browse other forums like wattflyer etc... for information.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:49 pm

I'm now at a point on My build to start to think about motor size. Very soon I will have an idea of the approximate AUW, and have 3 possible motors to use, and an 18 amp ESC. I think its a bit high rated for a 370 type motor, but its that the manuf. said to use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby PsyberPhlier » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:04 pm

David, I am generally useless at choosing the right power combos for any electric, be it tiny scale or otherwise but, I can read and read I did. I looked at every Fairchild build I could find (darn few...) and I figured out that the e-Flite Park 180 looks like a suitable power plant BUT... the vendor where I purchased it from was back-ordered. So, I looked and looked for something similar and decided on the Turnigy 1811 with a Turnigy Plush 10A ESC (about 15g all together).

Were you thinking of cramming that 370 in a Fairchild? Uh, it wont fit me thinks...

I have a Dualsky Xmotor 2812RTR-33 Motor 80W (150 size), with built in 6A ESC that I am saving for my super secret next build. A little hint, its a Fairchild XXXXX lol hacked from the same kit.

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby PsyberPhlier » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:41 pm

A friend, building the same plane, asked me to explain how I am making movable tail surfaces (he has no experience with stuff this small). Since he is 1500 miles away and can't just come sit at my bench, I thought I would go into a bit more detail here.

Step 1 - Build the horizontal stab per plan but do not glue parts D5 to the spar. Do not glue any rib sections in whats to become the elevator. When the glue is fully cured, cut parts D2 at the trailing edge of the spar.
HE 1.jpg

Step 2 - Place a piece of wax paper along the length of the spar to protect glue from touching it. Line up the two elevator halves with the plan lines and secure.
HE 2.jpg

Step 3 - Glue a section of spar into each elevator half.
HE 3.jpg

SEE NEXT POST
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby PsyberPhlier » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:50 pm

Continued...

Step 4 - Fill in the ribs. NOTE - I used spar material for all ribs instead of the 1/16 inch material.
HE 4.jpg

Step 5 - When everything is dry, remove the wax paper and parts. Admire your work...
HE 5.jpg

Step 6 - Using a small file, file a 1/16 inch by 1/2 inch notch in the inside corner of each elevator half. Line everything up to the plan lines, use more wax paper, and glue a piece of 1/16 inch wire as shown.
HE 6.jpg

SEE NEXT POST.
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby PsyberPhlier » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:52 pm

Continued...

Once everything is fully dry, remove it from the plan and admire your handy work...

It is not a bad idea to wrap a little strip of fiberglass over each joint and seal with this CA.

HE 7.jpg

Fin.

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby PsyberPhlier » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:26 pm

Here is a little jig I whipped up for gang cutting wing ribs. I want ailerons on this little craft and needed six of the F2 ribs cut exactly the same.

I built the jig because this is not the only Fairchild 24 I am going to build...

Yeah, lol that's black walnut...

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby PsyberPhlier » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:27 pm

Here is the ribs and tips, ready to make ailerons.

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby PsyberPhlier » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:15 pm

Here is the wing halves complete with aileron boxes built up.

I still have to cut the trailing edge away and build the ailerons.

I debated a bit (even started a poll...) about removing most of the dihedral to give this little bird a more scale appearance. I know, moron move... Once the dream passed, I built the wing halves per plan.

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby PsyberPhlier » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:46 pm

A bit of good news... 85 grams with everything but the motor 11.4g, ESC 4.7g and the covering!
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby PsyberPhlier » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:40 pm

Well, I managed to create some ailerons and servo plates today.

The servos will be permanently installed in the wing after thorough testing and a very careful centering. They are a tight fit, but will be fully inside the rib line. Heck, they might not even touch the tissue...

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby PsyberPhlier » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:23 am

So my motor and ESC should be here in tomorrows mail and after a quick installation, it will be time to cover this thing... That poses a problem.

On this kit, the wing halves glue directly to wing roots on the fuselage. It is kinda a one shot, get 'er right deal.

If I cover the top of the wings before mounting, there will be no way to clamp the wing to the fuselage for a slower more adjustable glue to set.

Should I just cover the wing tops after mounting? Or do I use one of my faster glues and glue, hold and hope I have the alignment spot on?

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby davidchoate » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:48 pm

A good method I learned from Dave Lewis Is to use 'square' dowels to exactly locate the wings on either side
davidchoate

Postby PsyberPhlier » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:33 pm

That's a good idea, David.
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions