Toys for Tots

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Toys for Tots

Postby Brenda » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:40 am

Howdy folks,

Every year I drive Santa for the USMC Toys for Tots in Hollenbeck California. We load Santa into the M35a2 and drive him around in the parade. This year I'm getting about 50 kits from Black Hawk Models to give to the kids. What I was thinking of is getting a large stack of the 4000 series kits and package them like the old Comet 4 step Build & Fly kits. Anyhow I have till the 16th to get everything together. I have sandpaper, wax paper, and pins. The problem I have is what glue to put in each kit, plain white glue (cheap), or something more fancy like Titebond (not sure if I can get little bottles of it either). I know the orig kits came with dope but now a days parents would flip out over something like that so not going to put that in there. Anyone think of other small items to put in each box?
Brenda

Re: Toys for Tots

Postby Wildpig » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:57 pm

Good for you, Brenda. Great idea.
As for glue, plain ol' white glue I think is the best choice. It comes in small bottles, it's cheap, non-toxic and it can be used for applying the tissue, too.
Wildpig

Postby David Lewis » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:24 pm

Elmer's also has now aliphatic carpenter's glue in small bottles, sometimes available at drug stores or supermarket, which is equivalent to Tite-Bond. If you supply ordinary Elmer's Glue-All (traditional white glue) look for "Now Stronger Formula!" on the label. The washable school glue is not very strong.
David Lewis

Postby Chris A. » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:31 pm

Is there room in each box for a piece of 1/4" dense pink foam buildng board that will fit exactly inside or outside the kit box? What a wonderful gift program, hope the kids like it, don't forget the girls:)
Chris A.

Postby Brenda » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:15 pm

Chris THANK YOU!!! I have tons of Celotex or what ever it is called. Will have elves cut to fit in each box. Added a small handfull of tpins too. I did find lil bottles of glue at store in Torrance. I think I'll give on of these to scout master. Looks like my band of elevs will be busy hehehe.
Brenda

Postby Billy Mc » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:03 pm

The build board wouldn't need to fit in the box. Just cut it the same size, tape it to the box, and wrap them together.
Billy
Billy Mc

Return to General Building Questions