Walnut Scale

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Walnut Scale

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:29 pm

Walnut Scale is what I have heard referrers to models under 19 inch wing span. I know that Dumas Model's uses the term to describe their models. Anyway I like the term Walnut Scale so I decided to go ahead and borrow it. Although still a small model the wing loading allows for the use of some decent wood sizes.

This build I decided to go "Full Circle" and go to where I started; Yeap the good ole Guillows 500 Series. With the benefit of hindsight; I wish I had started with the 900 Series kits. I decided to take the learning curve I have acquired and apply it to a 500 Series kit build. I decided to go back to where I left off and that would be kit 508 the Rufe built as a Zero.
WIDDOG

Re: Walnut Scale

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:03 am

This would be a good one for you Wid. I built a peanut scale as a kid. Still have it sitting around for kicks. It's not flying anywhere though. :lol:
This Veron plan looks like a nice, smaller ff build. I just ran across it again on Outerzone and thought about your work:
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=760
I keep kicking around the idea of an r/c version.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:06 am

Super interesting subject; thanks for posting Bill. I would really like to see it as a Micro RC. I have a 4 ch RC Foamie that I hope to learn with, this spring. When I was a teenager RC was way to expensive. Not that I was any good at it but rubber powered FF was the best we had available. Now that I have some RC gear it seems that I favor the rubber powered FF. I should mention that I have a few of Air Hogs 2 ch Jets. I have the A 10 , F 14, F 117 and the one with the camera. Guillow's used to sell a 2 ch remote A 10.
http://youtu.be/AP_YpO265HM With Air Hogs we call this type of flying "Playing Fetch" . Might be due to low batteries in the charger. LOL anyway my Air Hogs fly just fine.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:46 pm

It sure is good to be back working on Guillow's 500 Series Kits. Here is some of my earlier attempts at flying a 500 series kit. http://youtu.be/DTLsnPg6Ey4 I think working with the 900 series kits has taught me a lot. I hope to do better with this 500 series build this time.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:36 am

I got my Rufe/Zero rough framed. I don't have a nose cowling so I have to make my front out of built up Balsa. Image
WIDDOG

Postby Mitch » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:04 pm

Looks Good, For real flyer a built up nose is a good way to go. Mitch
Mitch

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:08 pm

I have a propeller collection. I saw this item on Ebay. Was hard to tell but I took a chance and am very happy with the propeller. actually I'm pretty happy with the whole kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Funcraft-FC-220 ... 1c45f13638

The propeller is actually 5 3/4 inch. I think it will work really well with 500 Series kits.

WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:24 pm

I domt know if this is good or bad, but My LHS has started selling Dumas kits.
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:08 am

davidchoate wrote:I domt know if this is good or bad, but My LHS has started selling Dumas kits.

I think that having competition between the model kit making companies is a good thing for the modeler. Also I think that the completion between the companies makes the hobby in general stronger. The stronger the hobby the better for Guillow's.
WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:21 pm

If only they start selling FAI rubber and Peck Polymer Props. I know the owner at the LHS, and he's a plane guy. Has a beautiful Curtis Hawk. But he's into the large scale Gas stuff. I'm sure if I recommend it ,and buy the stuff He will stock it. My Grandson who I havent seen in 5yrs is now back in Philly, and He was here on Thanksgiving; He's 10 now ,but into helicopters. I must bring him into the world of fixed wing. I need him to teach Me to fly. These kids are very good at it since they are born into the age of simulator video games. If he can fly a helicopter, I'm sure the transition to planes wont be too hard. I got several 300 kit planes ready for Maidens, but am not skilled enough pilot to risk all that work. I am still flying My foam RTF's. I can take off and land, but its not pretty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:13 am

When I was a teenager we didn't have the fancy video games. We had pinball and a couple other games that I can remember. RC was way to expensive back in the day for kids. We had to fly rubber powered models. I really had it bad for RC models. Air Hogs has gotten me over the RC model airplanes. Now I find myself preferring rubber powered models.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:48 am

I was able to finish the Zero this morning. I used white glue as dope and still was able to get under 25 grams AUW. (All Up Weight)
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:00 am

I found some great "Short Kits" which are kits that have only the instructions and print wood. I am planning to use Guillow's accessories i.e. propeller, thrust bearing, shaft and wheels to complete the kit. The kits can be found on Ebay or email the seller directly at mailto:notsginivil40@yahoo.com.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:12 am

I am re opening this old thread to post my kit 507 built as a Zero build. I think I am getting better at flying these 500 series kits. I think that a really good nose block is key to flying well. I have ordered a couple of plastic cowlings I may ever try to make a built up Balsa nose block.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:26 pm

The instruction's call for a 5/8 inch dihedral. I was wondering how they got this number. I was thinking about increasing the dihedral but decided I was going to build this one per the instructions. Also I was wondering who designed the 500 series kits.

WIDDOG

Next

Return to General Building Questions