peanut scale

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

peanut scale

Postby r wheatley » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:28 pm

first of all I know this is a guillows forum, All i have ever built is guillows and I love them. now I would like to try a peanut scale, would an "easy built" be a good choice
r wheatley

Re: peanut scale

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:49 pm

Sorry I can't answer your question. However, I do have a comment that may relate... Guillow's made at least one Peanut Scale model. It was Kit F121 TBF Avenger with a 12 inch wing span. I think there is plenty of market for Peanut Scale models. I would like to see Guillow's make a line of them.
WIDDOG

Postby Wildpig » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:10 am

I think an "easy built" model would be a good choice. Plenty of designs to chose from and are nice flyers.
Wildpig

Postby Mitch » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:47 am

I do not like peanut scale models. They are just too small for me. The 18 inch ws Guillow's 100 series are the smallest I like.

Here is what I know about Easy Built Models. Some of there kits are from very old designs. Many of there kits are "Printed Balsa" That means you cut out the parts, like in the good old days. They are making some of there kits in laser cut and they will say so in the description.

You will get only enough material to carefully built the kit. So having extra balsa on hand will serve you well.

Good Luck, Mitch
Mitch

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:27 pm

Mitch's comment about having balsa on hand is a good one. Some of these kits have very fragile stringers. Sure they're good for light weight, but not if their so frail that they break if you look at them wrong. Having a selection of stringers so that you can select the lightest possible without breaking them is good to have. It's also practical to use slightly stronger in areas such as fuse corners and where the stringers are essentially the wing main spar, or at least graft stronger stringer material into the wing center section. I always stash the extra stringers from Guillows kits for scratch building and even other kit builds, which makes them priceless. Over a number of kits you collect a wide variation of grades. Some of the designs are not exactly the "easiest built" also, but then again a place has to pick some company name, so we'll let them go with that one. :D
Bill Gaylord

Postby Mitch » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:45 pm

Another thought about 'peanuts'. Although there is a category for 'peanut scale' (12 inch ws) in FAC rules, I see few models in that scale. I remember seeing an old time FAC'er having difficulty getting his peanut Fokker DVII to fly. I believe they are better suited to 'indoor flying' I have not been to an indoor event yet.

I have seen reference to 'walnut scale' (I think that is 18 inch ws?) but I have not seen that category in FAC events. My 100 series models will be able to compete in "Mass Launch" and also "Scale Rubber Power" events.

The wood you get with EBM should be color coded. All the balsa is contest grade (that's why you do not get extra), as Bill says, you need to use the correct balsa for strength in the places you need it.

Again, good luck and let us know about your build, Mitch
Mitch

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:27 pm

I have a small flying field which kind of got me started on Peanut's. Peanut's are great and can be flown in small fields. I had some success by reducing 900 series kits to Peanut size. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot from Peanuts. This youtube kind of rehooked me back to Walnut Scale. http://youtu.be/rMCA0r9zh9U there are four other flight video's that follow this one. http://youtu.be/5Xk45jeSFs8
WIDDOG

Postby Mitch » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:02 pm

Hey DOG,

Got a question for you. In your video you mention your model, "has a legal 15% motor". What do you mean by that?

In FAC contests, I do not know of any limit to motors. The only event I am aware that there are specifics is the P-30 event, and that is AMA not FAC.

Can you please clarify?

Thank You, Mitch

PS: Nice flight in the second video!
Mitch

Postby Steve Blanchard » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:54 am

Peanut Scale is 13" max wingspan. It is also one of the most popular scale model categories both indoor and out for many reasons. Flying is not one of the reasons for it's popularity. It is actually really hard to get a good peanut scale model to fly with great great duration but you can build one with very little wood and the plans are much simpler than many other larger scale models because of the need to save weight. They take less time to build and are usually not held to the same standards when being scale judged. I have built many peanut scale models over the years and can count the great fliers on one hand. Still love 'em though!
If you do not want to scratch build from a plan then I would say Easy Built is a good choice. You may want to try a kit for one of the smaller Comet or Megow plans that are kitted by Penn Valley Hobby Center. Great wood and the plans are made for lightness. Be sure the horizontal stab is large enough for good flight stability.
If scratch building is something you would like to try then you can't beat the selection of peanut subjects drawn by Walt Mooney. Just go onto Outerzone and search Walt Money and pick the one you like the most. I would suggest a high wing cabin with good wing area.

Good Luck,

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Steve Blanchard » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:57 am

Oh Yeah, the term Peanut Scale was created by cofounders of the FAC, Dave Stott and Bob Thompson. Neither of which flew indoors so the category was meant to be an outdoor event. I've seen some OOS Peanut scale flights.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby r wheatley » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:10 pm

thanks for all replys, maybe I should stick to the 900 series of guillows,
r wheatley

Return to General Building Questions