500 series avenger kit

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

500 series avenger kit

Postby andywhitam » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:45 am

I noticed there seems to be an extra plastic part . I first thought it was for something on the cowling . It is a circle piece about 1 inch in dia. Does anyone know what this is for?
andywhitam

Re: 500 series avenger kit

Postby r wheatley » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:52 pm

I've never built that kit, but surely some one on here can help you
r wheatley

Postby BillParker » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:18 pm

That's your Prop Hub... Nose cone? The cover for the center of the propellor...

cut the center part out of the ring, toss the ring, look at the hub... It's have marks on it to cut out so it'll fit over the prop...

Look at the noses of these F6's...

William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby 42swing » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:55 pm

That's called the propeller dome, it's actually part of the prop pitch change mechanism. Planes with a hydraulic pitch change have the blunter looking one, those with electric pich control have a pointier one. Hamilton-Standards are hydraulic (blunt), Curtis Electrics are electric (pointy). Not to be confused with a propeller spinner like on the in-line engined Mustang, Warhawk, and Spitfire which was part of the streamlining. But, under that spinner was a prop dome for pitch control.

Ya learn this kind of stuff the more you build and wonder what things are.
42swing

Postby SpiceMan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:41 pm

IndoorFlyer wrote:I don't need a lecture about propeller hubs and pitch changing mechanisms. The OP asked what the 1" RING is for???

Nice comment ... ( NOT ) :roll:
SpiceMan

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:19 am

IndoorFlyer wrote:I don't need a lecture about propeller hubs and pitch changing mechanisms. The OP asked what the 1" RING is for???
Classical internet case of ask a question, get an detailed answer that someone wants to give based on their knowledge of a specific related topic, rather than the answer to your specific question. I've got that a lot on forums, since people are so ready to give answers and advice concerning what they know about that they miss the question. Ask about determining acceptable wing loading for a given power rating considering wing area and AUW, and you'll get 50 people telling you how to calculate simple wing loading and standard watts per pound, as if you don't know how to do that. They'll read right past the part that makes it clear that you are looking for figures pertaining to cubic loading.
Bill Gaylord

Postby andywhitam » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:31 am

I figured it out shortly after posting my question. It is only used for a display model and will serve no purpose for a flying model. I have built a couple of the 500 series kits and had some luck with getting them to fly with a lot of trimming..the 900 series fly much better, but need a great deal of down thrust to keep them from climbing out at a steep angle and then banking over into a death dive.
andywhitam

Postby 42swing » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:37 am

Quess I'll think twice about posting in the future...
42swing

Postby Steve Blanchard » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:43 pm

That was actually a bunch of overreaction to someone trying to be helpful. Seems that 42swing was just giving what he knew. Didn't sound like a lecture to me. But someone may be able to read it that way. It may not have been the answer to the original question but it was clearly an answer to the "That's your Prop Hub... Nose cone?" question. Sometimes it's nice to get a little extra information even when you aren't REALLY asking for it. Take what you want and leave the rest, but be grateful for knowing a little more.

Steve
Last edited by Steve Blanchard on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Blanchard

Postby 42swing » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:06 pm

Thank-you Steve, precisely my intent.

I'm guessing the ring was molded to offer some crush protection for the prop dome and was never intended to go on the model per se.
42swing

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:08 pm

SpiceMan wrote:

Nice comment ... ( NOT ) :roll:
The problem is that the above comment was no more called for than the one prior to it. You don't answer to sarcasm with sarcasm.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Steve Blanchard » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:05 am

So people should be allowed to say whatever they feel without the possibility of backlash? Interesting. The problem was the original bad comment. Without that, there would be nothing more.
Steve Blanchard

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:05 pm

Steve Blanchard wrote:So people should be allowed to say whatever they feel without the possibility of backlash? Interesting. The problem was the original bad comment. Without that, there would be nothing more.

Not what I said. Not sure where you got that from.
The point is this: An answer was given to a question that the thread starter did not ask. That's why I gave the example of people answering past questions of mine by essentially saying, "1+1 is 2 Bill", when it wasn't what I asked. What it does is intimidate the thread starter as being unknowledgeable, while also taking their original question off-topic. The guy who responded to it was kicked a bit, assumingly due to his sarcasm, but he did have a point. You'll understand this if I were to interject in your build threads with comments such as, "Steve you need some type of glue or dope to attach tissue", or "The stuff you are building with Steve is called balsa".

I make it a point to only answer questions specifically asked whenever possible, and also not to give advice unless specifically asked for. If I offer anything, it's what I've done based on relevant practical experience/s. That way it's both relevant and only mildly suggestive, and does not intimidate the thread owner.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Steve Blanchard » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:12 pm

Bill,
Am I missing something? I didn't read the response from 42Swing as being sarcastic and that is who I was defending. I was assuming that you were defending the comment from Indoor flyer. I think I may have been incorrect in that assumption and for that I would be sorry. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Balsa Woody » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:53 pm

It looks a lot like its there to prevent "webbing" on the hub part, and isn't really a part for use on the model. If there is too much material around the part, especially one that is likely too small for a male plug, there will be difficulty in the material conforming to the mould in the vacuforming process. That ring is probably a way to limit this.

They could have made it taller too since it would serve a dual purpose of being a protector for the hub.

:D
Bring back the Rumpler C5!
Balsa Woody

Next

Return to General Building Questions