newbie needs help....

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

newbie needs help....

Postby Tony F » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:41 pm

Start off by saying Hi and thanks for allowing me into the forum! My name is Tony, I live in North Florida, 63 yrs old and getting ready to retire when I turn 67. Been playing with multi rotors and decided to try fixed wing aircraft. Built a couple fixed wing foam boards (flite zone) but tired of that fast. Built a couple balsa rubber band powered when I was a kid (50 yrs ago) and decided to try my hand at electric powered.

I'm building the Guillows #702 Arrow, converting to 3 channel RC electric. No interest in fuel power at this time. Mods are working elevator and rudder, slightly enlarged rudder and tail, otherwise it's stock. Having no problem with build to this point. My question is which motor to use. Been searching the webb, and quite frankly, it's more confusing than helpful. Most of the build threads I've read use motors that are no longer available. Finding lots of numbers and specs but not much information on what they mean.

Want it to be a slow fly trainer that my grandson & I can learn on. Please offer some suggestions on motors / gearboxes (?), preferably that are currently available.

Thanks, looking forward to growing in the hobby once I can figure out how to properly power them.

Tony
Tony F

Re: newbie needs help....

Postby davidchoate » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:21 pm

J usually find a RTF plane of the same size, and use the parts. Let us know what it weighs when built and I can help.
davidchoate

Postby Brenda » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:50 pm

Howdy,

Brodak sells a 1/2a electric that should work fine. It is about the same power as a Cox .049 but electric. I bought two for testing here and so far so good. The weight is more than a Cox but never have to worrie about power outs on a twin.
Brenda

Postby Tony F » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:27 am

OK, frame is 90% complete and 40 grams (no tissue or electronics). Needs clean up and sanding. The tissue that came with kit is 10 grams. So I'm guessing 45-55 grams complete without electronics(?)

Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony F

Postby davidchoate » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Looks nice so far. It probably will gain 30 grams when done. with servos, batt, and motor. I think a bit heavy for a little brushed motor. I have'nt had much luck with them in anything over 60g's AUW. I been using the HURC 180 and they are very affordable.Thanks to Bill Gaylord for turning Me on to Heads Up. I was using Eflite stuff. It is better quality, but out of My budget. The HURC stuff is fine for Me as I just want to fly them a couple times, and then display them. I even made a test plane from scrap Guillows wood to test different combos of stuff. I'm still learning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby SpiceMan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:05 am

Greetings Tony.
Just thought that I'd mention that I built the Guillow's Lancer as a 3 channel RC bird not too long ago. Powered her with a HURC 180 Plus, and that resulted in having PLENTY of power. Flying her with a 180 ma 2 cell lipo battery, located in the very front of the fuselage. Got the motor at Heads Up RC.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/180-300-Class_c251.htm

Hope this helps. :)
SpiceMan

Postby PsyberPhlier » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:52 pm

Hi Tony.

Possible choices: e-flite park 180, Dualsky Xmotor 2812RTR-33 Motor 80W (150 size), with built in 6A ESC or Turnigy 1811.

Hope any of that helps.

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby Tony F » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:59 am

Thanks for the input, sorry I've been offline for a while, had back surgery the day after Christmas and didn't spring back as fast as I had hoped to. Pain meds keep you pretty well knocked out, been off them for a week now and my brain is working again.

Work has been slow, being my first rc conversion I run into issues that takes me a longer to figure out, probably simple stuff for you 'all. The wing is complete and covered, I used monokote , warped it pretty bad but managed to slowly bend and heat it straight again. Not sure it was a good choice for this build, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I'm thinking my next build I'll try tissue or a lighter iron on.

Next step I guess is to get all my components temporarily placed and try to balance it out. Been reading up and think I have a plan in mind on how to balance it, just need to do it.

Again, thanks to all for your input, I'll get some pics posted as I assemble and balance, and maybe, just maybe, this thing might fly.

Tony
Tony F

Return to General Building Questions