Test Platform

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Test Platform

Postby davidchoate » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:55 am

I built this very chap and easy to construct plane from a plan in order to get an idea of what motor battery prop combo to use on My scale planes. It is very close to size and weight of 300 series planes. I hope this will help in My attempt to successfully convert a Guillowws to RC .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Re: Test Platform

Postby davidchoate » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:41 pm

It only takes about 3 hrs. to make one, and so if I crash , no biggie. I'm finding, or trying to find what will work in My Aeronca. I really dont want to ruin it.
davidchoate

Postby SpiceMan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:16 pm

Hi David,
Best of luck to you on your Aeronca RC build. 8) If you can post your story and pics here as you go, I'd be very interested in how she goes together. I bought the plans from Guillow's myself, in order to see the lay-out, for a possible RC conversion also.
As you may recall ... I built the Guillow's Beaver as a 3 Channel RC, and she flies quite well with a HURC 180 brushless motor. Cruses nicely at 1/2 throttle, with plenty of power to spare. :)
SpiceMan

Postby davidchoate » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:00 am

My build thread is a page or so back. She's finished now , and ready to Fly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Re: Test Platform The X-1

Postby davidchoate » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:17 am

I am in process of building a wing and tranferring the radioo, and power gear to My test plane from My never flown edge. I am adding aIelerons and 2" to the wing to be as clpse to My edge as far as handling. As long as the electric parts survive I'm not concerned about crashing. I can make one of these fuselages in a few hours with MY BOX OF SCRAPWOODS. i ALSO PLAN TO EXPERIMENT WITH DIFFERENT TAIL ARRANGEMENTS, AND THINNER WINGS. pERHAPS ONE DAY INCORPORATING SOME POSITIVE RESULTS TO mY SCALE BUILDS THAT i HOPE TO fLY.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:35 am

Almost done wing. I made a center section to more closely duplicate the test wing to the Edge. Mr. Gaylord said His Edge almost pushed him over the edge, and so I'm being careful. I know the wing shapes are not exact, but I usud the same airfoil as Edge, and the wing area etc.. is as close as I can get .
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:07 pm

The AUW is at 175g's. I have a 6" prop on a HURC 180. I think it'll fly. The Guillows white tissue went on very nice. I used all leftover stuff; even a couple decals from a ME-109 kit.I had to use a glue stick to make them adhere to the white tissue for unknown reasons, but the white tissue was remarkably smooth, and maybe thats why, some additive in it maybe. Who knows. I also made another wing omitting the ailerons if its too heavy. I hope to learn alot with this plane to use on My scale models. I am amaiting a 805 B-25 from Guillows (Christmas to Myself). I have been very much interested in a twin motor plane, and I can easily build an experimental twin motor wing,and fuselage once I have the dimensions of the Scale Model . If anyone has any advice I need all I can get.Thanx.
davidchoate

Postby comanche163 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:31 pm

Very nice! I need a work bench like that.

Rob
comanche163

Postby davidchoate » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:19 am

I got all controls hooked up, and adjusted; Set wing decolage at 0deg, and same for horiz. stab. @ deg down and 2deg right thrust. Just have tofinish soldering the ESC , and she,s ready.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:01 pm

Well , except for fine adjusting the wheels; It's ready to Fly. Plenty of power. It wanted to pull out of My hand when applying full power to the HURC 180. Usually when they want to take off out of My hand; they will fly.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:04 pm

I didn'nt like the Me-109 decals,and so opted for a simple Xperimental type look..
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:27 pm

I swapped the HURC 150 for a HURC 250 I had . I didn't think the 150 could power the 200grama it turned out to be whan all said and done. I was about to Fly it, but as soon as I got to the park a 15knot wind kicked up. I'm just gonna have to wait. I did get a flight in with My RTF foam Champ before the wind. So at least I got to fly something today.
davidchoate

Return to General Building Questions