Repairs at North American (P-51)

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Repairs at North American (P-51)

Postby Mitch » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:15 pm

With less than a year to go, I can not build up an entire new squadron of planes... It will be quicker to repair planes that I think have potential...

Here is Miss Scarlet coming into the repair shop:

This was an attempt at extreme weight savings, new adjustable thrust, and removable wing.

Lessons learned.

1. Although my nose block was removable, It was not easily adjustable, and NOT SECURE! This is what caused the crash!
2. Although the tail was built extremely light it was very delicate. I will build a new one.
3. The wing was built with less spars, I will install those, as I do not what to sacrifice more strength. The upper skin failed after spending the winter in the damp garage. That will be replaced.

4. The removable wing saved the plane. During the crash at nearly full power she hit the dirt and started to tumble. Destroying the tail, but the wing came off. I quickly ran to the plane and picked up the tumbling fuselage so she did not beat herself to death!

I will start by removing the upper skin on the wing:

5. The only thing holding the front thrust plate was 4 magnets... These worked fine under test flights, but did not hold in place under full combat power! Screws will be added to hold the front end secure!

Mitch

PS: For the next FAC contest I will be building NEW construction for the following classes: Embryo, 1/2 Wakefied, and 2 types of Golden Age racers.
Mitch

Re: Repairs at North American (P-51)

Postby Mitch » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:25 pm

Okay, with the wings guns removed and the top skin off the wing I inspect for more damage.

The port wing has a gouge carved in the LE between F8 and F10 (there is no 9, no odd number wing ribs) I plan to re-enforce the LE with natures Kevlar. I will take a bamboo skewer and slice off a thin section. This thin slice with the bamboo fibers will be glued to the LE. I will add this slice of bamboo to both LE's. I believe this damage occurred when the wing came off and the plane rolled over the wing with the prop spinning at full speed!

The washout of this plane is too extreme and I am losing lift. The washout is about 1/2 inch. With the new spars added I will re shape the wash out and try for about 1/16 inch!

Mitch...

PS: Also planned for the FAC Event is Double Trouble (Twin Engine) for that I will finish my Guillow's Kitbash Me 109-Z! :D
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:19 pm

Okay, so in my Mustang box was 2 spare tails...

I will be using the Guillow tail on the Right. I cut 2 slices of bamboo. If you put your knife on the end you can slice down the length of bamboo as the knife will follow the grain.

The broken piece of bamboo is to show how hard it is to break. Although I broke the skewer, some of the fibers are still intact.

Upon inspection of the fuselage I see a broken L1 and a few cracked longrons.

Since I have the fuselage skin off I think I will place another position for the rear peg one bay forward. So this plane will end up with 2 choices for rear peg position.

Now it is diner time. I hope to add the bamboo strengtheners to the wing tonight so I can cover the wing tomorrow.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:15 am

All the damage has been repaired to broken longrons and starboard side keel. Where ever paper is removed there was damage.
New tail is sanded and ready for covering. 4 screws added to front end to secure and make adjustable thrust angle!

I decided to bring "Miss B. Haven" into the shop to see if she can be repaired:
She will need a new cowling... among other items. Both planes receive new canopies!

I removed the paper from the bottom of the wing of "Miss B. Haven" Her port wing has a few cracked spars, and I am thinking about doing some weight reduction to all these wing ribs... Not sure how I will proceed.
Note: The fuselage was opened up at the rear to have access to the rear peg. The rear peg on "Miss B. Haven" will be moved forward. So that section of the tail will have longrons replaced and covered.

Mitch

PS. 5 day forecast for Seattle: Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain
10 Day forecast for Seattle: Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain

I think my flying season is over, over here.
Mitch

Return to General Building Questions