Repairs at the Messerschmitt Factory (Bf 109)

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Repairs at the Messerschmitt Factory (Bf 109)

Postby Mitch » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:30 pm

Since it is too wet to fly, and I just got back from my Local Hobby Shop (LHS) I showed the owner my latest creation... He is still waiting for me to bring him a model to hang for display to show off his growing Guillow collection... so I told him the first model will be the one that flew in 2 contests and won 3rd place in one. He is delighted. I told him I will make repairs as the plane had a near fatal crash in Denver.

So the first step is to uncover the damage:
Remove all the damaged paper to see what I have.
Although all the top wing spars are broken the wing held on because this model is using the wing brace. The bottom spars are intact.
F2 is split and I will repair that first. Actually, it is not as bad as I suspected.

Let's take a closer look:
I need to reglue a few cracked frames and replace a few sections of stringers.

Here is the front end:
I plan to add a piece of plywood and make a new adjustable nose piece.
Since the cowl will just cover up now and not be structural I will keep the one I have. I think it will add character.

Since it usually takes me 2 weeks (without interruption) to build a 400 series, and I think I can make repairs in 2 days. Moreover I think this plane will fly again! It is definitely worth the effort to make repairs!

Mitch

The short story behind the crash...

Very windy day. Minimal front end adjustment. Plane crashed early in day...made some quick field repairs and against better judgment flew again... after all I was at a contest. With more winds on the motor the model took to the skies, was caught in a gust of wind...

Plane rolled over and flew at full speed into the ground from about 25 feet in the air! :(
Mitch

Re: Repairs at the Messerschmitt Factory (Bf 109)

Postby Mitch » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:08 pm

Hour 1:

Glue F2 and clamp with blue aircraft clamp, Glue B2 and clamp with paper clip.

Cut out broken nose piece of cowling and found plastic "plywood" firewall. Cut hole for rubber motor.

I removed a bit more what is left of B3 and another stringer. I will now cut out a new top section of B3.

I will let the glue dry and then repair B3 and add stringers and spars sections tonight.

Mitch :D

PS: I keep ALL spare parts, plans and spare paper in the box the model came in. Although this is more than I could do in a field repair, I could easily do this at a flying contest in the evening at the hotel room! Although this model had this second crash on the last day of the event.
Mitch

Postby Billy Mc » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:54 pm

First nice plane glad it will be fixed.
Second where did you get those neat blue clamps?
Billy
Billy Mc

Postby Mitch » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:25 am

Thanks... at first I just planed to repair the plane for display. But I think she can be put back in service. Might gain a little weight with the extra glue. Besides needed repairs she will be getting renovations, as she will get my new improved front end.

The blue clamps are a MUST for builders. I do not know what I would do without them. I use several types of clamps. But these blue bar clamps are my most used.They are made by X-Acto. You should find them at most hobby shops. I have even seen them in a boxed set with other x-acto tools, labeled "model airplane tools"

They also make bigger ones and those are designed for model ship building.

A really useful feature is the notch in the jaw. You can grab a part of the model and really get the pressure you need. They are sold in pairs and are very affordable. I have 2 pair.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:19 am

Hour 2 of R & R (Repairs and Refit):

Repair work...Airframe:
B2 replacement. I decided to leave what was still intact and 'crutch' on to that. There will be 3 points of contact:

After fit check, some glue and clamp:
Closer look at the 4 top spars in the wing. The most fwd one is intact (above the wing brace) so I will splice pieces into the rear 3 latter today.

Refit work...Engine:
In the engine department I cut out circles of balsa last night and glued 2 sets of 3, rotating the grain of the wood 45 degrees with each layer:
I need to cut out the center section of one set. The top pieces are plywood and those will be my adjustable thrust ring. Also glued on the plastic 'plywood' firewall to the model to repair damaged B1.

NOTE: picture of blue aircraft clamps. They have a wedge and just a jam fit to make tight. They work great!

Mitch

After another circle cut the engine rings get clamped together:

Let glue dry and more work this afternoon. :D
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:29 pm

After some morning chores, back home and another bit of work on the 109:
1. Stingers are in the fuselage and glued.
2. For the wing I decided to enlarge the notch in front of the 3 broken spars. I will have a lap joint at this repair.
3. Engine parts stack up nicely and plan to use some magnets in this front end as well. More on that later.

I will let the glue dry and continue repairs tonight...

Now it's off to ballroom dance class... Someone's got to do it! :mrgreen:

Mitch
Mitch

Postby FsFalcon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:54 pm

Not to hijack this thread and turn it into one about nifty blue clamps ... but I've never found them anywhere for purchase. I've been looking too, as I used to have a pair that disappeared in a move. :cry:

Does anyone know if they're even made anymore? X-Acto doesn't appear to have them listed on their website. (Also, X-Acto is apparently owned by the Elmer's Glue folks; I didn't know that!)
FsFalcon

Postby Billy Mc » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:09 pm

Billy
Billy Mc

Postby FsFalcon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Billy Mc wrote:I found them here http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/sxa.htm .

Fantastic; many thanks Billy Mc.
FsFalcon

Postby Mitch » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:45 pm

Hour 3... Ahead of schedule and better than expected:

Paper is on. In an hour or so I will spray with water.

Engine work is done:

I put cowl on so as to line up nose blocks. Model will stay vertical until glue dries.

Tomorrow I will spray a few coats of dope over the repair and re balance and weigh the model!

If the weather is nice I might even give her a short test flight.

I am really delighted that I believe she is flight worthy again... and the main source of her problem (Thrust adjustment) has been vastly improved!

Mitch

PS: I will check with a few sources for the blue clamps tomorrow. The ones I see on your link are the large ones. Mine are the small ones and you get 2 for about the price of one large one. Once you have them you will use them with every build! :D
Mitch

Postby 42swing » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:18 am

It was many years ago, but the smaller blue clamps used to be sold as part of tool kits for building dollhouse furniture.
42swing

Postby Mitch » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:23 pm

Here she is BACK in ALL her GLORY!

Less than 4 hours of work completed in less than 48 hours:

The damaged side

The damaged front end, fully restored and improved

Her 'good' side with her 3rd place award!

I was also working on making the antennae, but this is the way she flew at Perris.
I am taking her to the LHS so she can be put on display!

She now weighs 88 grams w/o rubber and no need for ballast. I think she looks better now with her 'Battle Scars', she is a flyer, was in two contests and beat other planes to earn her spot in third place!

I will check on those blue clamps. One set says X-Acto the other does not, maybe someone else makes them now...

Mitch

PS: I think I should tell Guillow's I won this award. It asks in the instructions to do so... This was a National FAC contest! :mrgreen:
Mitch

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:04 pm

Looks good as new, nice repairs.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Mitch » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:03 pm

Thank You...

the owner of the Hobby Shop said..."I love it!" My model will be hanging for all who visit the Skyway Model Shop in Renton, WA. He now sells Guillow and Dumas Kits along with his extensive plastic models. I asked him if he wanted it for a couple of weeks and he said he wants it for at least a month. I asked him "Want do you want next...a Zero or a Spitfir..." , and before I finished my sentence he said "SPITFIRE!"

So next going into the repair / refit shop will be my 400 series Spitfire. There is really no damage, but it needs refit of the engine compartment and add details like mg's and such.

Also I checked 3 sources and the only place that carried the Blue Clamps (in BOTH sizes) is SKYWAY MODEL SHOP! They are now made by Excel, not X-Acto.

Mitch

PS. When I re visit the shop I will take a picture of my Me-109 hanging in the Hobby Shop! :mrgreen:
Mitch

Postby Wildpig » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks for posting the repair sequence. I'd sign-off that repair any day. (thumbs up).
Wildpig

Next

Return to General Building Questions