What is a good kit to build and fly?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

What is a good kit to build and fly?

Postby Firedoctor2003 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:58 pm

I am new to modeling airplanes and I would like some advise on a good kit to build and fly. I am also new to flying planes. I do not like the foam ready to fly planes because from the reviews they seem to brake a lot. I like the weight and the ability to rebuild a wood plan if (when) I crash it. I am only interested in rubber and electric plans. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Firedoctor2003

Re: What is a good kit to build and fly?

Postby stx44 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:38 pm

A couple of threads down you'll see one about the 900 series kits- these arent a bad place to start.

Generally a plane with a high wing will be easier to trim for flight if your just learning.

Alternatively, theres a good series with extra instructions for those learnings- the "build by number" kits, which get gradually more complex along the line.

Javelin/lancer arent bad, but the polyhedral wing is a little fiddly (of the two I prefer the Javelin).

Ulitmately, pick what you like the look of and have a go. Be prepared for the fact that the first couple wont fly all that well, but you will pick it up as you go along.

And most of all- have fun! Its a great hobby, and the feeling of watching a plane launch when you get it just SO, is amazing.
stx44

Postby Wildpig » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:50 pm

I recommend the Javelin, Lancer, Arrow, Fairchild 24, Flyboy
They are fun, easy builds, and make nice flying models.
Wildpig

Postby Mitch » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:27 pm

Welcome, and ditto to what everyone said.

That being said, my favorite planes are the 400 series. They are a nice size, can be flown with rubber power with everything in the box. If you want you can convert to micro RC.

I have built and flown every one of the 400 series with parts from the box. These are laser cut kits and you will appreciate that. Of this series, I would suggest the Zero or the FW 190, as a first choice. I am making improvements of which you can choose what to incorporate some things into your build. All these kits were designed in the 1960's.

If you want to start with a High Wing airplane I would suggest the Porter, kit 304. This is a new design kit and laser cut and the parts fit very nice.

Hope to see your build thread or questions about your build soon.

Mitch, FAC (Flying Aces Club), Eagle Squadron (Seattle Area)
Mitch

Postby Brenda » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:09 pm

Javelin is the best 1st stab at balsa. Flys good and good for many crashes. Real easy to build.
Brenda

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:54 pm

Hello and welcome to the toughtest hobby you'll ever love.

IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) i would recommend the 900 Series kit 904 Skyraider. This is a video for EZe Dope. However, They did use a Skyraider to demonstrate. http://youtu.be/I3SCSrhYrhw. Anyway for a good looking and flying model it is tough to beat the 900 Series kits.
WIDDOG

Postby Firedoctor2003 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:44 am

Thanks to everyone for the reply's. I will start researching the plans you mentioned and make a pick. Hope to post the results before to long. :D
Firedoctor2003

Postby talsteen » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:47 am

After many years away from the hobby, I started back building the Lancer. Really easy to build and one of the easier models to trim to fly. I have been getting some very good flights out of mine. I haven't stretched the rubber motor, just winding inside the fuselage. My next step is to build a stooge and really see how high I can get it to go.

Good luck!!

Tom
talsteen

Postby davidchoate » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:18 am

Honestly. I have not had luck,or maybe have yet to develope the feel, to make ANY of these planes from any Guillows line up fly yet to my liking. I would say that the Javelin has been my best flyer though. Average a 10 sec Flight with all kit stuff. I have learned: keep the weight down,BUT do it in a way that leads to a good balance,Don't use the kit rubber,prop size, and even sometimes wood. and get youself a scale.
davidchoate

Return to General Building Questions