900 series- comments and favourites

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

900 series- comments and favourites

Postby stx44 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:54 am

I really like the 900 series models- they are quick to build, look pretty good and fly surprisingly well with just a change in rubber.

To date, I have built:

Bird dog (twice). Nice kit- good starting point as the high wing makes it easy to trim. Downside is the short nose = much balast to balance. I know they made a series of these as turbo props to experiment with- thinking that converting one to this might solve the problem (turbo prop conversions normally have a longer nose).

Typhoon. Looked really nice. During the build I thought it was going to end up weighing a ton and so not fly- actually it turned out to be a pretty good flyer, and reasonably robust- I would suggest laminating the nose to reinforce it though, as the radiator takes a beating.

Skyraider (twice). The one so far that has the most potential. Has a largish wing area, and comes out very light. Will build this again.

Trojan. Found this one dissapointing. The split canopy is a pain. And build straight from the box, the wing root area of the fuselage has little support- end result - a model that flaps its wings.

So I have the mustang and chipmonk to go. I have noticed that the online store I normally buy from has both in stock.....

Anyone else care to comment?
stx44

Re: 900 series- comments and favourites

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:18 am

The 900 Series are definitly my Fave Series. Sales catalog write up from the 80's... Easy to build rubber powered Jobs. Well designed models with ample wing area and dihedral... I think they should at least use the Guillow's 6 inch diameter propeller instead of the 5 inch diameter propeller. BTW i use Peck Polymer propellers.

I have even reduced them to Peanut sized models and flown them.

Here is some video of me flying a couple of 900 Series kits. http://youtu.be/8JCBbSw51pY
WIDDOG

Postby Wildpig » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:08 am

I agree the 900 series are fun builds.

The Trojan and Mustang have the same wing structure at the fuselage. One solution is when you cut the main spars, make them 9/16" longer and then join the spar ends inside the fuselage with a shim of 1/16" balsa. (The shim goes between the spars and the nearest former.) Makes for a much more robust wing. Be sure to make the grain of the shim horizontal or parallel with the spar.

I don't like the split canopy either. I have a custom made, one piece, canopy for the Trojan. If you build another Trojan you're welcome to it. ( Just noticed you are from Australia, shipping might cost as much as the kit).
Wildpig

Postby SpiceMan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:06 am

I'm in the process of building the Bird Dog as a 3-Channel RC, using the electronics /motor from a "Hobby Zone, Champ". That was a VERY tight fit. :!:

Just finished the OD paint job on the fuselage tonight, and the wings are also covered and painted. She's lookin pretty good at this point, so it'll be interesting to see if she'll actually fly. I'm thinking she will, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :lol:

Thinking about doing my own post here, with some photos and info, in the near future if anyone would be interested. :)
SpiceMan

Postby FsFalcon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Thinking about doing my own post here, with some photos and info, in the near future if anyone would be interested. :)

Please do; I'd love to see it!
FsFalcon

Postby davidchoate » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:47 am

Bird Dog. For sure. Not only the one that flew a little(probably because it's the first time I used FAI rubber), but it came out with a much better scale appearance than I thought. And even though My paintjob got messed up by bad decals; It still looks nice.
davidchoate

Postby r wheatley » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:26 am

my favorite 900 series , the bird dog !!
r wheatley

Return to General Building Questions