900 series- comments and favourites

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

900 series- comments and favourites

Postby stx44 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:52 am

I really like the 900 series models- they are quick to build, look pretty good and fly surprisingly well with just a change in rubber.

To date, I have built:

Bird dog (twice). Nice kit- good starting point as the high wing makes it easy to trim. Downside is the short nose = much balast to balance. I know they made a series of these as turbo props to experiment with- thinking that converting one to this might solve the problem (turbo prop conversions normally have a longer nose).

Typhoon. Looked really nice. During the build I thought it was going to end up weighing a ton and so not fly- actually it turned out to be a pretty good flyer, and reasonably robust- I would suggest laminating the nose to reinforce it though, as the radiator takes a beating.

Skyraider (twice). The one so far that has the most potential. Has a largish wing area, and comes out very light. Will build this again.

Trojan. Found this one dissapointing. The split canopy is a pain. And build straight from the box, the wing root area of the fuselage has little support- end result - a model that flaps its wings.

So I have the mustang and chipmonk to go. I have noticed that the online store I normally buy from has both in stock.....

Anyone else care to comment?
stx44

Return to General Building Questions