Waco Glider

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Waco Glider

Postby davidchoate » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:35 am

I did it again. I got a Dumas WW2 Waco glider kit. it was $10.00. I had to get it. I will probably make it a display. I always admired the Men who would get into one of those. I'd jump, but you would never get Me into one of those death traps. Maybe I'll have to build a C-47 now to tow it. I got enough kits now to keep Me busy all winter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Re: Waco Glider

Postby Billy Mc » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:11 pm

That's a cool model. I think I have plenty to keep me busy for a couple winters myself. I had four model in the closet then recently made minimum bids on several models and now have eight more.
Billy
Billy Mc

Postby Brenda » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:14 pm

I will never buy another Dumas kit again. I have to get Guillows kits off internet as local hobby shop won't carry them. Have about 30 Comet kits standing by to be built when I run out of Guillows :)
Brenda

Postby stx44 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:23 am

My LHS has only just started offering Guillows , but only as a special order. Everything to date has been mail order from a stockist here in Oz.

I have bought a couple of dumas kits from them tho- I really enjoyed the build.

I just wish I could get Guillows and Dumas to combine the best parts of each kit- Guillows have brilliant plans and instructions. Dumas comes with better quality wood, and some very nifty design features on some- the Beach staggerwing has an excellent method of holding the nose into place. Ive also noticed that the two kits Ive built have balanced almost straight off the board.
stx44

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:09 pm

davidchoate wrote:I did it again. I got a Dumas WW2 Waco glider kit. it was $10.00. I had to get it. I will probably make it a display. I always admired the Men who would get into one of those. I'd jump, but you would never get Me into one of those death traps. Maybe I'll have to build a C-47 now to tow it. I got enough kits now to keep Me busy all winter.

The C47 would tow it. It's actually a really nice flying model, where the only reason it says non-flying is due to not being practical for rubber power. I've thought of trying a tow setup for ages and looked at this little Dumas kit a number of times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:40 am

Bill, I have been contemplating a multi motor project for awhile. I was looking at the B-25 Mitchell though. The C-47 2nd, and last the PBY. As it just looks heavy. But first I need to perfect the single motor. I am making progress, and honestly, if not for your videos giving proof they can fly; I might have given up hope. The scale difference woujd not be right between the gloder and te C-47, but still cool to link their Histories. I have never done a true glider yet, and probably shouldnt start with a scale military suicide plane. I know they werent made to catch a thermal and sail around like a Hawk. They were made to crash land once. I might have a chance if I toss it off the Ben Franklin of a flight. I will most likely build it for display, but keep it flyable possible just in case I get a crazy idea.I have never built a Dumas kit. I have looked the plan over, and besides the "box" fuelage, The wing is and tail are just like a Guillows. I am eager to try their wing rib method using 1/16" balse formed over the spar. I think adapting that design into a Guillows wing is going to be beneficial to My future endeavors.
davidchoate

Return to General Building Questions