Paper, shinny side out?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Paper, shinny side out?

Postby Mitch » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:44 pm

I should know this... Just a quick question.

Some of may paper is shinny on one side. I think it's shinny side out. If I knew why, I think I would remember better.

Mitch... I do not know it all, and I am the first to admit it... :oops:
Mitch

Re: Paper, shinny side out?

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:08 pm

I wouldn't have a clue either. :D This site here says "Cover the plan material with wax paper to use tissue covering. With Japanese tissue, put the glossy side down over the plans, and glue the balsa sticks to the tissue. You should still be able to see the plans through the tissue." Seems like they're saying the dull side is the side glued to the model.
http://customers.hbci.com/~bkuhl/building_tips.htm
BTW if I ever do start covering with tissue, I've amassed a nice collection of it over the years. I keep thinking about building a rubber FF model for once.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:17 pm

This is a paragraph from the book Peanut Power By Bill Hannan. It is the only thing on the subject I could find in print.

" Some brands of tissue are relatively shiny on one side. Opinions differ as to whether the shiny side should face out or in on the part being covered. The main thing is that it should all be uniform, whichever choice you decide to make.

For me personally its shiny side into the piece being covered.
WIDDOG

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:09 pm

Esaki tissue, and some others, are calendared, that is shiny on one side. For modeling use, the shiny side goes out. It takes a finish better whether clear or colored. If you want a matt finish, use a matt paint or clearcoat.
kittyfritters

Postby Mitch » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:49 am

Thank You all for the answers. Shinny side out it is.

The medium Navy Blue I plan to cover the Hellcat is definitely shinny on one side. I did a little work on the Rufe today instead. I will start covering the Cat tomorrow.

Mitch
Mitch

Return to General Building Questions