Wid's 180 and FW 190

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Wid's 180 and FW 190

Postby r wheatley » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:40 pm

wid, i like the 190, thats cool, yes i am building the 180, will try to post some pics tomorrow

Ronnie
r wheatley

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:04 pm

looks nice Wid. The canopies sent should be there to experiment with.
I always enjoy seeing vintage kits being built. We don't see many of these vintage kits being built these days, with people being able to print plans from the internet. We're probably the last generation to remember what gave these old kits a market. Back then if someone wanted to scratch build, they would probably have to go to the library to find a drawing, and then have a pile of dimes to experiment with in the old Zerox copy machine, enlarging the drawing until they got it right. Today we simply go to outerzone and print out a plan.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:50 am

I recieved the canopies. Wow they are perfect! Thank you Bill. They are so good in fact i decided to mail Bill a Mc Donalds gift card. I was going to mail him a hand carved propeller but my propellers are not any good.

I have been trimming the FW 190 and i think it might fly. Get this it seems to like a 7 inch diameter PP propeller. The instructions say to carve a three bladed propeller. I was wondering if that would make it fly better if i did carve a three bladed propeller.
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:30 pm

WIDDOG wrote:I recieved the canopies. Wow they are perfect! Thank you Bill. They are so good in fact i decided to mail Bill a Mc Donalds gift card. I was going to mail him a hand carved propeller but my propellers are not any good.

I have been trimming the FW 190 and i think it might fly. Get this it seems to like a 7 inch diameter PP propeller. The instructions say to carve a three bladed propeller. I was wondering if that would make it fly better if i did carve a three bladed propeller.
Thanks. Not sure about rubber, but for rc the 3-blade props are less efficient and used for correct scale appearance. The torque issue probably wouldn't be a problem with rubber, and you may actually want the left hand turn ability enhanced. With rc I found that beyond a certain diameter the torque effect when using a 3-blade prop goes through the roof and you need an insane offset angle to counter it. It would certainly look nice to see a 3-blade prop on the 190 however, and I imagine a 6" would have about the same effect as the current 7" 2-blade prop.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:13 am

I dont know the exact definition of "peanut". whether its wingspan or weight, but I believe Dumas has a line of small planes now.
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:52 pm

I think that there would be a large market for Peanut scale models. A Peanut is a model under 13 inch wing span. BTW i did use Guillow's stringers and some other supplies to build my Peanut. I wish that Guillow's Supplies would expand its market line.

I do have some data and video of my trim flights with the FW 190 Peanut. http://youtu.be/8ke7RKwfIOI I tried many different combinations... I think the 5 inch propeller and 3/16 inch thick rubber motor x one loop seems to be working the best.
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:11 pm

Looks like you had a windy day there for the maiden. The plane performed an excellent dog fighting maneuver at around 0:20. :D I knew this character years ago who told us that when he was in Florida he once paid 50 bucks for a peanut. :lol:
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:05 am

LOL. Once again i'm going to be using the Guillow's Building Supplies as my tie into this great forum. I am going to be building and posting about the Supreme Models, Steve Patti co. Peanut Hawker Typhoon. I think that rubber power is very popular these days. I think that Guillow's should produce a line of Peanut models that are designed specificaly for rubber power. I understand that it would probalby be too much start up costs. However, I think that Guillow's could offer the plans and Building Supplies. I also think that with a min order fee they could make some money off Peanuts somehow.

I did uplaod the plans onto the Hip Pocket Builders Forum. I think that Guillow's woiuld make a profit if they offered this as a Laser Cut Kit. So i guess the question would be does this kit fly? and can it be made with Guillow's supplies? I think it can do both.

WIDDOG

Postby Mitch » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:02 pm

That 3rd flight looked the best. Seemed like the plane was not gliding well. It flew under power but then had trouble. I do not build peanuts, so I give you a lot of credit for your flights!

I am not a spokes person for Guillow's but I believe they can not just copy other plans and produce them (copyright) and they are starting to produce some new kits and hopefully they will have the 500 series (there most popular) in laser cut very soon! As far as the plans you have, it looks very flyable to me, however again, Guillow's designs are different and designed to have a model look true to scale. IMO

Mitch... Keep Building and Keep Flying, and Keep up the GOOD WORK!
Mitch

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:30 pm

Thanks much Mitch good advice.

I sort of was thinking the same thing. Don't get me wrong i am very glad that Guillow's makes a Series of rubber powered designed models. Its just that if they could i would like to see them make a Peanut Series.

I have another video. I was not going to post it but it is kind of funny. It's true the model has no glide to it. Maybe the wings need to be moved back? Hopefully someone will post how to correct this problem. On the third flight i was thinking mabe an OOS (Out Of Sight) than straight into the ground. LOL.

http://youtu.be/HU0Anhid4gA
WIDDOG

Re: Wid's World

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:14 pm

I made the other Peanut Model by Supreme Models the Hawker Typhoon. This time i used Contest Balsa. I'm struggling trying to get it trimmed. I am thinking about trying 1/16 inch thick "Rubber Thread" . I need just i bit less torque and longer run time. http://youtu.be/IBMLII_GzbI

I am starting a Stuka, I will be using the cannapy from the Guillow's 500 Series Kit. Nobody has complained about my posts so i'm thinking if I can tie in Guillow's Supplies maybe it makes the post ok for this form? Anyway i hope to be building Guillow's 900 Series kits again soon. Maybe i'll take a break from posting here untill than.
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:03 pm

Looks like you got a few good flights in there. I'm sure that balancing/trimming those little jobs it touchy, especially with some wind thrown into the equation. The Stuka should be a good subject. I was surprised with how stable the micro Guillows was, for a micro rc job. One of my favorite builds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:07 pm

Wow what a great Stuka. Thanks for posting Bill.

My "Problem" with the 500 Series kits is that I like rubber powered FF and the 500's are designed for "Multi Purpose". My problem with Peanut Scale is a lot of times the plans call for wood in thicknesses that are getting hard to find now that there is no longer an A2Z Corp. BTW The 900 Series kits used to use 1/20 inch thick wood.

had an epiphany with this build. A Walnut Scale kit uses standard thickness of wood. Also the Guillow's accessories fit on them. Finally there are a lot of designs to choose from.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:45 am

Here is a pic of the Stuka I'm working on. The Guillow's accessories really worked out well on this Scratch built model.

WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:32 pm

Yep, Stuka canopies are one of those parts that are not particularly easy to fold up from sheet plastic. The kit replacement parts work well. I see a lot of dihedral in that gull wing. I think that's one of the things that helped with my Stuka being very stable. It seemed that it would take a lot of effort to roll it over, in flight.
Bill Gaylord

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions