Message Board Suggestions?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Message Board Suggestions?

Postby T_om » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:53 pm

I did not see any way to give the owners of this board any feedback or suggestions, so I apologize in advance if I missed the method somehow... but here goes.

Can the board PLEASE be divided up into at least "Rubber Power" and "RC Conversions"? "Rubber" "Static" and "RC Conversions" would be even better.

It is a big boost to Guillows sales nowadays that RC gear small enough to make these great little kits flyable as RC instead of rubber freeflight. And I believe it would be a boost to this forum if RC conversions were in their own category so finding them would not be such a chore.

Tom
T_om

Re: Message Board Suggestions?

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:08 pm

It would be nice to see more r/c conversions, but it seems that most people want to post those at RC Goofs. :D While we're at it, let's talk them into bringing back the P39. It would be a much bigger winner for them, than a number of the other recent releases guaranteed. My other suggestion would be to include aileron headers and the few tiny end formers that would be needed. Most of the end formers would simply be cut away from the existing formers. The could print cut lines on the wing formers, so that a builder could simply notch the parts at the cut lines and easily install cut-away ailerons. There's plenty of unused wood on the existing sheets to add these few parts, without having to add another sheet, so it would cost a few seconds of laser time and .01 cents of ink to mark the cut lines.

Oh yeah, we need to make Bing and Bot members, since they're always here. :D
Bill Gaylord

Postby Brenda » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:58 pm

I concur on P39. Guillows would make more money if they brought back older kits. I buy them off ebay to build not collect. Same with Comet, I build them.
Brenda

Postby Mitch » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Different categories would be nice. I know what you mean, but I am not an IT guy. I do not know how much effort that would be... but it would be nice.

As far as bringing back older kits... I too would love to see as many kits as possible, but I think we are a small slice of the builders and our feelings are not always reflected to what happens...

As far as old kits go, if you like the old 100 series, they are so long OOP that the copyright is off. They are available as an SRK from DPCModels. You will get all the cut parts, laser cut. You will need the plans and supply everything else. The plans are also available on the internet as the copyright is off.

I plan to build a couple of the old 100 series for the next FAC contest... 12 months to go.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby woundedbear » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:16 pm

I agree, Guillow's should bring some of their discontinued kits back, but don't take my word for it. Just look on e-bay, their getting gi-norm-is prices for, mosquitos, airocobra, and B-29 kits, and guys are paying these ridiculous price for them!
woundedbear

Postby woundedbear » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Oh yea guys gi-norm-is is spelled phonicly it means something that is so outrageously out of proportion to everything else that it's unbelievable!
woundedbear

Postby Mitch » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:50 am

That's why I told you about the 100 series, you might get an SE5 or Fokker for 20 bucks but the other ones are getting very expensive. If you don't mind making your own markings and doing a bit of extra work, 18 dollars will get you all the parts laser cut from DCPModels. Mitch
Mitch

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:27 pm

The reason I believe the P49 is a top contestant is that it's not so expensive/large that the masses won't buy it and it's a beautiful airframe. I believe the PBY was produced on the recommendation by a guy who goes by Fuzz on the forums, and I really enjoyed the kit. He lives near Guillows. The problem with a kit like that, is the price factor/size. It makes it more of a specialty, like the B29. The Mosquito goes for big bucks, but if produced again it probably wouldn't sell well. Twins are a lot of work, and the plane is a bit too small to be practical. I have the DC3/C47 and it's an excellent flyer at it's larger size, but it still doesn't sell as well as other kits because of the twin complexity factor. The Mosquito nacelles are much harder to put together than the DC3 and are more like the B25. People often realize this and tend to pick the simpler builds. From what I know there are a number of people like myself who have pretty much built all of the 400 and 1000 series warbirds. They would add the P47 to the collection.

Mitch wrote:That's why I told you about the 100 series, you might get an SE5 or Fokker for 20 bucks but the other ones are getting very expensive. If you don't mind making your own markings and doing a bit of extra work, 18 dollars will get you all the parts laser cut from DCPModels. Mitch
Yeah they're good stuff, and from what I understand they go together well.
Bill Gaylord

Postby T_om » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:12 am

Um, guys, this post topic was about adding another section to the board index, not to rehash out of production kits. Please start your own thread.

Tom
T_om

Postby SteveM » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:58 pm

T_om wrote:Um, guys, this post topic was about adding another section to the board index, not to rehash out of production kits. Please start your own thread.

Tom

Ohhh... we should move this thread to the "Off Topic" section then!

If Guillow's resumed production of the Mosquito, P-39, B-29, or Shuttle they would be laser cut and only the collectors would buy top condition old die-crunched kits on eBay which would cause their value to plummet to match existing retail prices. The 100 of us that like these kits (personally I'm not fond of the B-29) would all buy them and then the market would dry up and Guillow's would be lucky to break even on the cost of tooling up. It makes about as much sense as new episodes of your favorite TV show that got canceled because it wasn't as profitable as other shows that could be aired in its place. These days your kid would get expelled for bringing a model airplane to "show N tell" as it has model weapons on it, and so these fine aircraft slip further and further into oblivion.

Oh crap, now we have to move this thread into "Politics and Religion".
SteveM

Postby Wildpig » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:26 pm

T_om wrote:I did not see any way to give the owners of this board any feedback or suggestions, so I apologize in advance if I missed the method somehow... but here goes.

Can the board PLEASE be divided up into at least "Rubber Power" and "RC Conversions"? "Rubber" "Static" and "RC Conversions" would be even better.

It is a big boost to Guillows sales nowadays that RC gear small enough to make these great little kits flyable as RC instead of rubber freeflight. And I believe it would be a boost to this forum if RC conversions were in their own category so finding them would not be such a chore.

Tom

Tom,
You might try emailing Guillow Customer service or maybe PM Mark. His name is in red at the top of the forum.
Don't be too disappointed if your suggestion is nixed. Mark is kind of a one man show with this forum. He wears a few different hats at Guillow's from what I understand. I think it's a good idea. I'd like to see a sticky for tissue covering and trimming for flight, also the R/C aspect does seem to get a lot of players on this forum.
A building/construction category with individual subtopics for each series of kits might be useful.
Last edited by Wildpig on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wildpig

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:50 pm

This forum generally only has something like 3 to 5 active threads going at any one time. The idea of separating categories doesn't seem relevant unless the forum was much larger. People would then not see the active threads in the categories, and it would likely reduce trafffic rather than grow traffic. I think the single category, which is Guillows models works fine for the forum.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:02 pm

I think they should make the plans availablle on non production Models
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:51 pm

davidchoate wrote:I think they should make the plans availablle on non production Models
They would have to sell them as printed copies, since a number of them are available on outerzone. Probably not much demand for them however. What I've found is that when people request plans on the internet, they usually want someone to come and hand deliver the plans to them, with a box of chocolates to go along with it. I've seen a number of requests where people are looking for plans that are available on outerzone, but they have no interest in sizing/printing/trimming/taping together the plan. The good thing about printing and assembling the plan yourself, is that a person will likely build it, after going through the effort of printing the plan. I gave a number of my previous Guillows plans away to people that said the proverbial "Hey guys I'm going to build XX and can U send me the plan?" None of those clowns ever built them. If a plan is available online and a person won't print it themselves, there's a 99.9% chance they won't built it anyway, unless their willing to pay real money (not Hey dood I'll give you 5 bucks type of money) for the plan.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Mitch » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:04 am

OOP plans that the copyright expired are available from HipPocket. You need to join and there are instructions on how to print the plans.

If there is one plan you are looking for let us know here. I have many plans and would be willing to copy and mail you copies.

Mitch
Mitch

Next

Return to General Building Questions