307 piper cherokee

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

307 piper cherokee

Postby r wheatley » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:16 pm

Ive had this kit lying around for a while and decided to build strictly for a display model. I ve seen how some of you have used the fill in method filling in between the formers and stringers, and was just wondering if it would work to cover the frame with 1/16 sheets or 1/32 if it is even available seems it wood save lots of time and give a smoother finish, your thoughts ?

thanks ,Ronnie
r wheatley

Re: 307 piper cherokee

Postby davidchoate » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:52 pm

On displays, I infill with 1/32" balsa cause it is more flexible. I never sheet the Plane because then you might have to sand it down as the sheeting will add thickness to the thing. I know that Guys do sheet the whole plane, but thats not how I learned. There was a guy who was on here alot,and I follow his methods. Unfortunately He had some falling out and erased all his posts. I'm sure you will get alot of advice,but I infill, spacle, apply dope, and paint with acrylics on a display. If you look at Widdogs FW190 thread you will see sheeting.
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:30 pm

I just sheeted a larger Comet Cherokee recently using 1/32" sheet with good results. Just finished their Albatros DV a few weeks ago which flew well. I couldn't have imagined inset planking that one :shock: although they did have some plastic panels that reduced the total area. Once you get onto sheeting, it's much faster and easier than inset planking. Like anything else, it takes some practice. I spend almost as much time now thinking about how I'm going to sheet a model, than actually sheeting it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby r wheatley » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:57 am

thanks to both replys, I guess it can be done either way, the photos look great, was there any trouble with the nose cone, since the sheeting made the frame a little bigger / thanks again

Ronnie
r wheatley

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:22 pm

r wheatley wrote:thanks to both replys, I guess it can be done either way, the photos look great, was there any trouble with the nose cone, since the sheeting made the frame a little bigger / thanks again

Ronnie

There usually is some tightness, but they stretch a bit, along with sanding the sheeting a hair thinner in that area to allow for the fit. I often inset plank the first inch behind the cowl, before sheeting, to allow for added sanding latitude. On the Cherokee there was a lot of trouble fitting the cowl well, but that's because the cowl molding was trash. :D The Guillow's parts usually fit pretty well to perfect. The second cowl mounting method is to cut a thin ply or balsa former to place inside the cowl, so that it fits directly against the fuse with dowel pin locators. The former is then hogged out to reduce weight and/or clear the motor. That works really well, since you can sand the fuse down to perfectly blend with the cowl, with the cowl mounted in place.
Bill Gaylord

Return to General Building Questions