EZE Dope Question

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: EZE Dope Question

Postby Brenda » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:47 am

tail spin wrote:Brenda YES! Actually met Steve Smith in person. Super nice guy.

Right on. Love his show and back when watched my father do some of the same things. I know!! You need to make a plane and cover it with duct tape!!!!
Brenda

Postby zoomie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:23 pm

tail spin, I learned the white glue method from model designer/builder Bill Warner. He had a beginners series in the old Model Builder magazine and offered some good tips on his method.

Bill used 60/40 glue/water (3 parts glue, 2 parts water) as he felt it didn't soak into the wood as fast as 50/50, thereby giving it longer open time to apply the tissue.

He also stressed the importance of wiping your fingers clean as you worked so they wouldn't accidentally stick to and rip the tissue. I wore an old sport shirt with long tails out when tissueing. As I applied tissue, I'd wipe the excess glue mixture off my fingers with the shirt tails. This kept fingers clean enough to not worry about accidents.

I've heard of people using artists' acrylic medium/varnish for applying tissue with good results. What I don't know is (1) if it's used straight or diluted, (2) what will dissolve it if you want to remove or recover the tissue, and (3) if it can be used as a dope substitute for sealing the tissue?

zoomie
zoomie

Postby tail spin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:46 am

Zoomie, When I was into Narrow gauge model railroading we used white glue and diluted it with water and a drop of dish soap to break the mixtures tension, The concoction was known as Matt medium , The term kind of go stuck in my head after many years. Thank you for your help I will surely give it my best until it has been mastered. Two thumbs up!
Brenda Funny idea! On the air craft subject, There was one episode where an old single engine plane with floats was featured in one show with a goofy pilot clowning around while it was tied to the boat dock. I remember it was white with blue stripes. I wonder if it was a DHC-2 Beaver? Sorry :oops: Not trying to high jack the thread That plane is stuck in my head now.. :?
tail spin

Postby paul » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:16 pm

chip58123 wrote:How many coats would you all recommend when doping an airplane with EZE Dope? I am building a Guillows Cessna 170.

Don't use EZE Dope on tissue only good enough for sealing the balsa.
paul

Previous

Return to General Building Questions