Javelin 300% Giant Scale build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Javelin 300% Giant Scale build

Postby hunterdude » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:15 pm

Background...I have been teaching my sisters 13 yr old son to build, we started with mini models Hell Cat with flights good enough to peek his interest...so a couple weeks ago we built the Lancer on a weekend, with close to a min flights on that model and the relative simple build I have decided to attempt a Giant scale scratch build with Guillows plans enlarged to 300%...that works out to a whopping 6 foot wing span starting from the stock 24 inch span. I plan to build mostly stock with some effort to build light mostly in the tail section. I will try to post pictures soon. The reason I chose the Javelin over the Lancer is the wing mount on the Javelin allows one to adjust CG a bit without adding clay. So far all I have is the enlarged plans and a machined 17 inch balsa prop located....the plan sheets are impressive to say the least....this build may be a bit slow as bird hunting season has arrived in Michigan...but I would welcome any input specially from those that have flown giant scale rubber free flight.
hunterdude

Re: Javelin 300% Giant Scale build

Postby Mitch » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:07 pm

I am impressed with your enthusiasm and I do not want to hinder your excitement, I would say that is quite the challenge. Here is what I know...and it is limited.
FAC rules have categories for 'larger' planes. They have Jumbo scale = 36 inches or more, and then Giant scale, and that would be 42 inches or more.

I have seen larger 'Endurance Planes' (6 foot ws) at the field but these are powered by a gas engine with a very short run to get the model in the air. Some of these models may have wing spars made out of kevlar. Those planes are flying in AMA contests not FAC. ALL of these models have timers in them and DT's (De-Thermilizers) to force the airplane down after a specific time. ALL of these models have 'trackers' in them so when they fly OOS (out of sight) the owner can locate the plane.

I would suggest scaling up you plane in increments... say go to 36 or 48 inches. That's my 2 cents...Do you have a field to fly at?

On another note... what type of bird hunting do you do?

Mitch
Mitch

Postby hunterdude » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:27 pm

Mitch, You have many Valid points. I must admit, I am not confident it will fly well, BUT I do enjoy a challenge and walks down the road less taken. I would also like to experiment an playing with balsa props is one goal of this build. A second goal is to see how well our beloved Guillows planes fly if the scale is radically changed. This model is not complicated so I will be out about only $50 or so if it fails. Also I have a great relationship with my local hobby shop and an employee wants me to display the model over the rubber free flight section even if it does not fly so that would be kind of fun....I hunt Grouse and Woodcock with and English setter :)
hunterdude

Postby Wildpig » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:21 pm

Fun project idea you have, Hunterdude. Shades of Bill Parker :!: :)
It's going to take one honking big rubber motor to get it going. I'm glad you've got a young person interested in this hobby.

You could bungee launch it along with the rubber motor. That's how the model sailplanes are launched.

And use an aluminum tube for your motor peg. A big aluminum tube. :shock:
Wildpig

Postby Mitch » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:45 am

Okay... this is also not a scale model... so a 6 foot ws is not absurd. Years ago I built a glider called the 'Pussycat" It was an RC glider launched as WP says with a 'hi-start' that is 60 feet of surgical tubing attached to about 300 feet of line. I bought that at a hobby shop (They are Out of Business now :cry: ) The model had a hook on the bottom, you hook on to the line and stretched out that tubing. This will launch the model and get it up in thermals (hopefully).

Anyway... suggestion for a 6 foot ws javelin...

Make the LE out of an "arrow shaft" use a hard wood dowel for the LE. then make a round notch in your ribs to match. If you have a dremel tool with a sander this should not be difficult. Make sure you put in Gussets at the break in the wing where the dihedral starts.

The model will be big enough for RC as was my 'Pussycat' had 2 channels for rudder and elevator, although I think the rubber motor will be in the way.

Good Luck, Mitch

PS I have hunted Pheasent and Grouse and Chuker... with a 12 gauge shotgun. :D
Mitch

Return to General Building Questions