Tissue gripe

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Tissue gripe

Postby cliffm » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:45 am

You have managed to pique my curiosity so could you tell me for certain what type of paper or material you have pictured with the splotch in it. Experience in the paper industry reveals that virtually all white paper is made through a bleaching process,not dye or painting. What you may have is a contaminated piece, but to be sure, would need to know who manufactured same and to what purpose. Contaminated thinner, solvent, or brush?
cliffm

Postby Brenda » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:22 am

cliffm wrote:You have managed to pique my curiosity so could you tell me for certain what type of paper or material you have pictured with the splotch in it. Experience in the paper industry reveals that virtually all white paper is made through a bleaching process,not dye or painting. What you may have is a contaminated piece, but to be sure, would need to know who manufactured same and to what purpose. Contaminated thinner, solvent, or brush?

It is tissue from Guillows Bf109 kit. Same happened with tissue from Ez. Bottle is brand new and no brush was used. I dropped right out of bottle. I get same results with MidWest or Sig. I used clear as I wanted that old time look.
Brenda

Postby cliffm » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:56 am

After researching the supplier and manufacturer of the tissue in question it is 100% certain it is bleached and not dyed or painted. Butyrate thinner is probably the more conducive of the solvents we use and I tried it on every different type of tissue I have and could get no fade or bleed . I have silkspan in 2 weights and from 3 suppliers as does another curious fellow and arrive with the same results. So we suggest that your problems are in your procedure(s) somewhere,somehow,so you may want to investigate further on your end.
cliffm

Previous

Return to General Building Questions