To scallop or not to scallop, That is the question!

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

To scallop or not to scallop, That is the question!

Postby tail spin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:23 pm

Hello everyone I wanted to pick a few brains after reading about Balsa FF Modelers using the method of "Scalloping" the formers. Does it weaken the structure, and if tissueing a fuse in partial patches as some of the 500 series requires should it be done at all? Or as a display model only ? I understand it lightens the airframe & every gram counts. Being that I am a newbie & trying to down load so much of the building technique in my head for a successful build. I would appreciate some enlightenment on the pro's & con's of the subject if someone wouldn't mind taking the time to explain. I did do a search on the forum on this subject & that is how I found out what scalloping was & not the custom paint jobs on old lead sled automobiles! :mrgreen: Thank you for any replies!
G'day !
tail spin

Re: To scallop or not to scallop, That is the question!

Postby Wildpig » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:44 pm

Personally, never used the scallop technique. I know that method is used on some full size wooden aircraft. The Fairchild 24 being one of them. I sure it does reduce some weight and improves appearance.
I don't think it would prove to be any real difficulty as far as tissuing goes.
Wildpig

Postby David Lewis » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:40 pm

It's usually lighter not to scallop. In the upper picture stress is higher and evenly distributed (wood works harder). In the lower picture, the wood below the red dashed line experiences lower stress (loafs).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Lewis

Postby tail spin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:18 pm

Thank you for your replies.
tail spin

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:42 pm

I don't think anyone mentioned scalloping for scale appearance, to hide the formers from showing through the covering. I did this on the Stearman fuse and it was worth the effort. Some of the laser cut kits have the stringer depth intentionally cut at 1/32" to produced the same effect.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Konrad » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:04 pm

Do scallop, but plan it out a head of time. Some section of the covering will need the former at full outline to attach the covering. If you are using tissue I strongly recommend the full length strip method spanning 2 or 3 stringers. I never liked the former to former method often shown on the Guillow plans it leads to that starved horse look.

I've tried to give some guidance on how to place stringers and prep the fuselage for covering here.
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa ... ic=12443.0

All the best,
Konrad
Konrad

Postby Wildpig » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:04 am

David Lewis wrote:It's usually lighter not to scallop. In the upper picture stress is higher and evenly distributed (wood works harder). In the lower picture, the wood below the red dashed line experiences lower stress (loafs).

I assumed he was talking about this:
http://www.virtualaerodrome.com/image_d ... offset=216
:?
Wildpig

Postby tail spin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:04 am

To begin with , Wow ! Ask & you shall receive! I want to thank everyone for all of the replies it has answered my question 100% very nicely! All Y'all are great people & Thank you very much! :wink: Konrad, Thank you for the link on your post lots to read & take in A big two thumbs up on that! Again thank you to every reply and not to leave anyone out! Amazing how differences in weight can be so dramatic. Time to hit the bench!
tail spin

Postby Konrad » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:46 pm

That is why we are here, to help.

I think what you want starts on reply #6 of the fore mentioned thread.
Konrad

Postby tail spin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:15 am

Thank you Sir!
tail spin

Return to General Building Questions