Social Media and newbies

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Social Media and newbies

Postby Brenda » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:49 pm

Howdy folks,

I thought I would share something with everyone. I've been posting build photos on my Facebook page and linking a few photos to Guillow's. Because of that I've had more than a few friends now buying kits. Even a few youngsters out at 29 Palms are now building and as soon as I get done with the 109 I'm taking it out there and showing them how to fly one with a .049 from Cox. So the moral of the story is why not use what we have to build our little hobby? Perhaps one day Guillow's will come out with the P39 or another twin build?

Brenda
Brenda

Re: Social Media and newbies

Postby Mitch » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:03 am

To All,

I pass the word on a more face to face method. When I am at the schoolyard "test field" I have a bunch of Guillow catalogs with me. I also pass out those small packaged Guillow Gliders to kids who help me. When I was at the Static display show for flying models I talked with several parents about Guillows. At my favorite "Plastic" Hobby shop, the owner started stocking Guillow models. He said he will display one of mine for advertisement. That has not happened yet as I am aboard ship, but when I get home I will show him my new builds and will give him a 'loaner' plane to hang up. I plan to change out the display plane every month or so.

Mitch

PS Guillows made the p-39... It was in there 800 series. I was discontinued. I comes up on ebay once in a while. It is as nice as the 1000 series and in 1/16 scale just as all the 400 and 1000, but its ws is close to the 400 series. I have the kit and am building it. I have not cut up the plastic parts yet as I want to make molds as there are no replacement parts available.
Mitch

Postby Goldy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:16 am

Well done! I think that Facebook idea might be a great way to encourage young people, not to mention our peers to get started in this hobby...that's simply because it can touch a lot more people than you can in day to day life.
My three boys were never interested in doing much of anything that required any sort of physical effort or mental input...from restoring a vintage motorcycle to building balsa models...a sad situation for a father who is so interested in that sort of thing.
I did have some pleasant experiences at the local elementary school when they were young and I did a weekly class on model shipbuilding...just simple stuff grade five kids could handle...out of a class of about 15 youngsters, I actually think I might have gotten through to a small number of them.
This too shall pass.
Goldy

Postby tail spin » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:24 am

I have "liked" the Guillows Face book home page every now & then something pops up from Guillows usually an advertisement once in a while on my news feed but that's fine. But I am also open to "friending" forum users as well. Being new at this nifty hobby, I cant help much technically but support it otherwise. In the meantime I do have three Grandsons 7,9 &13 that think its cool & wish to learn to build & fly! But then gramps is still in the learning stages also! This should prove to be interesting!
tail spin

Postby BillParker » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:48 am

Guillows Series 800 - Bell P 39D Airacobra by David Duckett.

William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Brenda » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:42 pm

[quote="BillParker"]Guillows Series 800 - Bell P 39D Airacobra by David Duckett.[quote]

Wow that looks great! It seems as if some of the great kits are no longer made :(
Brenda

Postby davidchoate » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:51 pm

Bill, Where did you find Mr. Ducketts project? I miss his works of Art.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:58 pm

I too post My progress on FB, and not only that have made friends ,Espescially in one group called RCPA (RC Pilots Assn.) Its not a forum, just guys who post and help each other with questions. Mosr are not into Guillows conversions,and so I get alot of comments. There is also a FF group I joined.It gives me a chance to talk, or chat with them. On forums like this, or RG Universe, Or Hip Pocket; They tend to be less active, and though this is My favorite forum, I dont always get what I need here espescially with RC stuff.
davidchoate

Postby BillParker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:33 pm

William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Return to General Building Questions