My 400 series Rufe (404 kitbash)

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: My 400 series Rufe (404 kitbash)

Postby Mitch » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:02 am

Yes, the Tony was mistaken for an Me 109 when first encountered, but it is a completely different plane. Most of the scale WW2 models at FAC seem to be 24" ws. But having always built and displayed models in the same scale, I prefer Guillow's idea to make them all 1/16 scale. I scaled up the Tony and showed the plans so you can all see the differences with Guillow's. Actually the plans of the Tony look very much like the 1945 Guillow plans I have for the Spitfire. I believe it was after WW2 when Guillow decided to change there construction method and sacrifice flight performance for ease of construction.

I did not get much done on the Rufe today but here is the wing getting washout:
I spray the wing tip with water then set on the board for a few hours.

The tail weighs now 3 grams. That's rudder and stabilizer.

The thick wing rib is a triple F9 The center rib is cut to accept the support for the wing float.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:08 pm

Waiting for parts to dry on the Hellcat, decided to cover the Rufe... Still need to finish the floats, that will come.

I noticed my wing was just a bit over 30 inches, so I sanded of 1/8 inch on both end to cover bottom with one sheet.

Also I sanded down the wingtips, so I hope the final result will not show those ends of the stringers at the tips.

I like to cover dry so this time I went back to my trusty glue stick. That way I can pull the paper tight. Also I found this neat ruler. It is used for cutting fabric, and with the scale on it and the thickness of the plastic, it really works well. I'll keep that in my tool box.
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:08 pm

Okay, got the skin on the wing and tail, I was going to cover the fuselage when I realized it needs more work...

My Japanese Squadron

The Rufe with a flash. The wing has all the sockets to accept the floats. The ws is just under 30 inches! I plan attach the floats with sticky (tack) glue. It never really sets up. I plan to get flight tests without the floats and see how she flies. The add the floats(and re-balance) and see if I can have her fly for a few seconds.

I'll try to get the fuselage finished (structure) tonight so I can start covering.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:37 am

Okay, up early and sanded the front end. I like to have fill in balsa around the gun troughs so I have something I can blend to.
I also put 1/16 on each side of the gun tough to give more support and glue bonding area. A small rubber band will hold the back of the troughs in place while the cowling will secure the front. Should be ready for sanding and covering after drying time and a bit of filler.

Mitch
Mitch

Previous

Return to General Building Questions