My 400 series Rufe (404 kitbash)

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: My 400 series Rufe (404 kitbash)

Postby Mitch » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:41 pm

End of the Day Report: for the Zero Trainer, the Rufe will follow...

Here she is ready for covering:

She weighs in at 44 grams... and ALL that canopy weighs 6 grams alone!

Here is the infill section:
I just decided to infill the top as I feel there are alot of compound curves that I want to make look nice around the gun troughs.

Also installed the in-fill pieces that will hold the peg for the rubber motor. I used 1/16 sq to brace in the bottom of the stabilizer.

I think she is ready for covering!

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:59 am

Morning Report:

I glued on the air scoop last night and installed the instrument panels:
I think the air scoop will make a nice pocket for BB's for ballast adjustment when that comes. I can slip them into the Fwd section under the Cowling.

One more check on my blast tube clearance:
I needed to trim A3 just a bit more and the Frame B3 for proper clearance.

During construction I added 1/16 stringers to add stregth to the B frames that I cut down:
These were added to B3, B4, and B5. They really add a lot of extra strength.

So after breakfast I will start to cover the model... I will post an end of the day report.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:16 pm

Noon Report...

I thought I would give some comments as I am covering:
Here is the progress. I covered the bottom of the wing in 1 piece. The top in just 2 pieces (port and stbd) although the plans suggest the top in 7 pieces. I felt the wing tips where gradual enough as to not require separate pieces. I also choose not to add the center piece as it will not show and I want to get a good wood to wood glue bond between F1 and A3. For the fuselage I will follow the Guillow's suggestion closely as I took some shortcuts in my last Zero and I am not totally happy with the results. The cowl has one light coat of black primer and I held it while spraying (therefore I wore a plastic glove as to not inject spray paint into my hand)

Suggestions for Covering:

1. Use a new blade. A straight razor works well also.
2. Use a cutting mat
3. When applying the tissue, gently pull it taught.
4. On wing tips and tail, cut slits in paper 1/4 inch apart and continue to pull all paper taught.
5. Follow the Guillow guidelines.

Now lunch break and then on to covering the fuselage!

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:08 pm

End of the Day Report:

Okay, got the fuselage covered today... and here are a few pics:
Dual Instrument panels.

Enlarged Canopy.

I need to spray with water and shrink paper. Tomorrow one coat of spray dope then next layers of colors.

I plan to add some more black at the front end and all National markings and numbers will be cut from tissue paper.

Model weighs 50 grams at this point.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby tail spin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:57 am

8) Nice build!
tail spin

Postby Mitch » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:34 pm

Thanks Tail Spin,

I a bit behind today as I acquired a new tool for my tool box, and now I need a little practice.

I bought this OLFA, Circle Rotary Cutter. It will cut perfect circles from 1-1/2 to 8-3/4 inches. Should be just what I need. I got mine from Michael's and they have replacement blades available. I am glad I have "White" paper as it is just a bit whiter then the standard paper that I first tried.

Standard paper on left and "White" paper on right.

The problem is the paper moves as I cut and when I stop to continue the paper shifts just a bit. I will need to hold the paper down tight and that should do it.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:58 pm

Okay, I think I have it. Tape down the paper size needed and cut 4 at a time:

It was not easy to apply those big discs to the plane, but here she is...Meet my 2015 entry into FAC contest "Low Wing Military Trainer":

Yes the contest is 13 months away and I am starting to build up an entire new squadron of entrants...

This model now weighs 54 grams... A bit more dope and the structure should be done:
You can not see the support, but the rear peg will be just aft of the insignia on the fuselage. That's about 3 inches forward of where it is on the plans.

I still need to make the nose block and that will add weight, but she is not balanced yet anyway... I am hoping for a final weight of 70 grams.

That's all for today, and I will be away for a week... Mitch :D

PS: I plan to have as many Guillow models as possible in the WESTFAC V contest to be held near Phoenix, AZ, in October, 2015.
Mitch

Postby davidchoate » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:15 pm

Is that a two seat plane? Nice details, but at the same time very light. I like it.
davidchoate

Postby Mitch » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:53 pm

Yes David, this is a trainer. I just came across this plane as I was researching the Rufe. It is a real airplane. I do not know much about it, except that it is a Zero Trainer. I built this kitbash because I was told that Guillow models "Do not win contests." To me that was a challenge... I am new at the FAC and still learning. My builds are still experiments with power set up and building techniques... and I like Guillow's models.

I like this model because:
1. It is different
2. It has retractable gear
3. It has a great color
4. The body is fat and I think I can pack in the rubber
5. It's a Guillow's model!

Here is my first "Low Wing Military Trainer":
This plane flew in contest, but I was out in the first round.

"Low Wing Military Trainer" is a Mass Launch event at FAC competitions.

Mitch

I have better hopes for this one:

I expect that the student would sit in the front seat. That cockpit stays open. The Instructor would be in the back and his canopy would close, although there is free air between the student and the instuctor. All I know is what I deduced from pictures on the internet. The plane is always shown in Hi-Vis Orange. :mrgreen:
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:39 am

Here is my squadron of Zero fighters so far... I need to get back on track and finish the Rufe. (That was this thread) When I return next week I will resume construction of the Rufe, and then build the thrust adjustments for all the new Zero models. The green Zero was my original Die Cut model built as per Guillow plans. That plane was shot down in its combat mission at WESTFAC IV. Although it flies, I decided it is to heavy for combat missions in competition.

More to come next week, stay tuned... Mitch
Mitch

Postby davidchoate » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:30 pm

oh, I found a Guy on a forum (World of Free Flight) and he said tat FAI stand for Federation Aeronautique Nationale. Whether this is true; I dont know, but it sounds good. he gave mse some good advice about rubber motors too .
davidchoate

Postby Mitch » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:22 pm

Okay... Back home and trying to get back on track...
Here are some photos of the Rufe from a plastic model kit... I still plan to make mine purple/blue... Mitch

I like to study plastic kits sometimes to study how the plane looks... Tomorrow is a train club event then I hope to get back to the Rufe.
Mitch

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:46 pm

Building the float will be interesting. I imagine you'll be using enlarged plans from the smaller kit.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Mitch » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:01 pm

Yes, I scaled up the floats 170% from the Rufe kit. I made one other change. As per stats on the real planes, I increased the wing span to 30 inches.

On a slightly different topic, but for info on keeping things light... I will share the following:

I just bought a "Golden Age" kit from ebay. It is a 24" Kawasaki "Tony" I just scaled up the plans and copied and enlarged the part sheet (One sheet)

Here is the kit:
This is NOT a kit for beginners. I already broke one piece of balsa just looking at the parts.

I photo copied the part sheet (I put the balsa sheet on the copy machine) 120%. That will give me a model with a ws of 28.8 in. and 1/16 scale.
The Staples Store enlarged the plans on one sheet for less than 4 dollars.

Here is the plan with the Guillow Zero wing bellow:
Notice the delicate construction of the "Tony" The tail is VERY light and the plane has much more dihedral.

I show you this, because I believe these things are easy to do in a Guillows model, and for rubber power, that is what you want.

Here is a picture of the "Tony" someone else built. This was at WestFAC IV:

With the plane slightly larger, it will fit in with my Guillow collection well.

Mitch

PS I bought the kit for $16 + $8 s/h. I since found out Golden Age has a website and the kit is availablee today for $24. They have a lot of kits available.
***WARNING*** These are NOT kits for begineers. Guillows makes very nice kits that are easy to put together. I show this model as information for those who want to make your Guillow kits fly better. :D
Mitch

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:17 pm

The Tony is a sharp looking plane. The HE100 looks really similar, and I've been tempted to buy the 23" Flyline Earl Stahl version from Ebay. 1hr left on the auction right now, and actually debating it as I type. :D It almost looks like the Japanese and Germans may have shared the design, looking at the similarities.

Some of those kits certainly do not go together as easily as others. Guillows generally are very straightforward. I think some of the Guillows lineup was removed, simply because they required a bit more window fabrication with stringers, like the Storch. Some Easy Built models definitely do not appear to be all that easy to build. :D
Bill Gaylord

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions