Back into building

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Back into building

Postby Brenda » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:16 am

Greetings!

After a few years of working (ok more than a few) I'm now retired and doing all the things I did as a kid. Back in the day I would mow yards to get money to buy kits from Wagon Wheel hobby shop for a few $$. Now I have cash! That was my childhood and my only entertainment building Guillows and Comet kits and I must have built at least 50 of them. I spent hours mowing yards and hours building kits of all kinds.

I bought every kit at local hobby shop and built a Trojan right away to remember how to do it. Yes I used dope and tissue BUT I tried to use a airbrush, something I could never afford as a kid. Now I got a laser cut Bf-109 all framed up for C/L and powering it with a brand new Cox .049 just like I had when I was a kid. I ran into one problem right now, plastic tank doesn't fit right so I need to find a metal tank. Also the tissue in new kit doesn't lay just right so I'm looking for hand laid kind.

I never could afford a P-38 or B-17 when I was younger, but after a email to Guillows rep I found that both kits can accept C/L rigs! So after the Bf-109 and Spitfire are built I'm going to build either P-38 or B-17. Has anyone built one for C/L use? My eyes are not perfect is why I want C/L and not R/C.

Thanks everyone,
Brenda (AKA Tank Girl)
Brenda

Re: Back into building

Postby Wildpig » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:57 pm

To answer your question, I've never built for C/L. A few on this forum have. It does work.

You signed your name Brenda, and Tank Girl. So the logical assumption is you are female. If that be the case,
I've never known a girl to mow yards to get money to buy airplane models, build models, fly models or any such or even be remotely interested. I think I may have married wrong. :wink:

If I've misunderstood and you are a guy. We'll,...as a kid, I've never met a guy that mowed yards for money to build and fly model planes. O.k. , there was one kid in the neighborhood but, I never saw him fly his plane.
Either way, welcome to the forum and welcome back to a great hobby. :D
Wildpig

Postby stx44 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:23 pm

My first job was mowing the yards of two houses owned by the local bank for visiting staff,

I spent all my money on model planes (and tanks cos I was a wargamer).

I am a dude.
stx44

Postby Brenda » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:22 pm

I am a female and I am a driver/wrench turner at Wilmington Military Vehicle Museum hence Tank Girl. Most of the time I drive a 1960 M35 2.5ton truck. :D
Brenda

Postby davidchoate » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:26 am

A fellow Mechanic. Welcome. I had a paper route, and had to get up at 5am, then go to school to save for my planes. Back then You had to wait 6-8 wks for stuff to be delivered. That used to drive me nuts. I am 46, and stopped building models around 16 when I discovered Girls, but anyway 3 yrs ago I got back into it, and noticed that things have changed. Some good; some bad.For example. Elecrtic, and electronics are nothing like in the 80's now,but nobody builds. they all get RTF and foamies. I love building as much as flying. Personally; I cant fathom how anyone would not enthusiastically want to create a flyable plane from just some wood and tissue.
davidchoate

Postby BillParker » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:09 am

I've flown virtually every Guillow's kit that is big enuff to handle an .049... They all work well. Gimme a scream if you find something you can't figure out. The 400 series P-40 rocks.

Just be sure to put your bellcrank where they tell you to put it. Don't get creative...

On the B-17, they want you to fly it on the two inboard nacelles, and dummy up the outer ones. Works, but if you're brave and honest, 4 motors is even cooler... Just kind of a chore to get them all running at the same time...

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby davidchoate » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:22 pm

I have never heard of a b-17 control lne setup. I've never done it, but have seen CL and it seems like alot of stunts and tight turns that a b-17 is too big for, and not made for it. You should go RC with 4 electric motors. Just my opinion.
davidchoate

Postby BillParker » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:59 pm

I've got two of em on the shelf. (B-17's) When I build em, I'll be sure to document it well on here.

The big ones fly like bombers, not like a stunter... *LOL* Flat and level... You really want the plane fairly close to the ground when the fuel runs out. I have a B-24 and the B-29 here as well, and all will fly the circle...

bp
BillParker

Postby davidchoate » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:30 pm

B-29? You must have to use a 50 yard control line ! You gotta add some pictures of these things in flight,or a video link. It just seems such a big plane to waste going in circles. Kinda like NASCAR> I am a Formula one dude. the roundy rounds are so boring. I think people use a one mile oval 500 lapper as an excuse to get drunk. You gotta be loaded to sit through hours of around and around on a 1 mile track. I'm not puttin U down. Never. I have no room to judge. I cant even get anything i've built to fly at all. Satisfactorarily anyway since I was 14. I'm 46 now. Why did my planes fly then and not now is a mystery. But I'm gonna get there soon.I prefer a mix of FF and RC.
davidchoate

Postby Brenda » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:44 pm

BillParker wrote:I've flown virtually every Guillow's kit that is big enuff to handle an .049... They all work well. Gimme a scream if you find something you can't figure out. The 400 series P-40 rocks.

Just be sure to put your bellcrank where they tell you to put it. Don't get creative...

On the B-17, they want you to fly it on the two inboard nacelles, and dummy up the outer ones. Works, but if you're brave and honest, 4 motors is even cooler... Just kind of a chore to get them all running at the same time...

bp

I guess on that note I need to buy a B-17. If I ran 4 .049 real rich I bet I could keep it slow enough that it wouldn't rip my arm off. I do have a lot of the little Cox .049 laying round. I've never flown a multi on CL only RC. And even then on the RC ones I never ran a tank empty so not 100% sure on what's going to happen when #3 motor shuts down. Guess I'll find a B17 kit on ebay, wish it came in laser cut! I really like laser cut. Did I mention how much I enjoy not slicing my digits with a razor because there are laser cut kits? :D
Brenda

Postby BillParker » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:04 pm

Not my plane, but I thought it was interesting... It's for sale on E-bay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301297320565?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Vintage Guillows DeHavilland "MOSQUITO" Gas Model Airplane
This is a contest-built U-control/controline twin-engine
model. In storage since the '80s.
Super flying model / Fine shape / A classic
Two Cox Baby Bee engines, wood props, and ace spinners
Clean and lube the engines and fly . . . or just display
If you do fly it, make real sure that the outboard
engine runs out of fuel first!
BillParker

Postby Brenda » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:54 pm

BillParker wrote:Not my plane, but I thought it was interesting... It's for sale on E-bay...

Vintage Guillows DeHavilland "MOSQUITO" Gas Model Airplane
This is a contest-built U-control/controline twin-engine
model. In storage since the '80s.
Super flying model / Fine shape / A classic
Two Cox Baby Bee engines, wood props, and ace spinners
Clean and lube the engines and fly . . . or just display
If you do fly it, make real sure that the outboard
engine runs out of fuel first!

That really looks perfect....to perfect... :D... I placed a bid and got outbid already. I'd rather build the B-17 myself than buy one off ebay already built.
Brenda

Postby BillParker » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:03 pm

agreed...
BillParker

Return to General Building Questions