Aeronca Old Kit

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Aeronca Old Kit

Postby davidchoate » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:37 am

I was up all night workin on this thing. Just wasnt tired.Wings are heavy. They are designed very robust.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:26 am

It's about 86g's with all components inc. batt. right now. Good. The motor is plenty strong for that. It can probably handle 150g,s easy. I just gotta choose the right prop,and not overload it. once I get the Auw I can figure out the watts needed,and if the batt is large enough. Oh, I found the RC Guillows Aeronca plan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby David Lewis » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:50 am

I used former and stringer construction for the cowl. I couldn't use the vacform cowl because I enlarged the plans (to 28.1" wingspan), and I changed the shape of the firewall to match full scale. (The scale fidelity of the kit firewall, fuselage profile and sections is poor.) I like to make a removable nosebowl because it's easier and stronger than a removable cowl.
Last edited by David Lewis on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Lewis

Postby David Lewis » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:58 pm

davidchoate wrote: "Anyone ever heard of this kit from Guillows? I wish they would introduce more RC plans, and larger planes."

Guillow issued 3 kits in their 1500 series:
#1501 Cessna 170A, 1978
#1502 Bellanca Cruisemaster, 1978
#1503 Piper Tomahawk, 1979

They were produced in small quantity and, from what I've heard from those who built them, were heavy, mediocre flyers.

Other Guillow R/C kits:
#GM-? Trixter Beam, 1953
#GM-18 Explorer, 1954
#GM-22 Vanguard, 1955
#3001 Electric Power Aeronca, 1989
David Lewis

Postby davidchoate » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:41 pm

I already cut the templates for the cowling. Thanx for the pic to give me an idea wht it will look like. I was thinking of using dowels tto align it and magnets to make it removeable, as I may put the batt there if its tail heavy.
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:32 pm

davidchoate wrote:It's about 86g's with all components inc. batt. right now. Good. The motor is plenty strong for that. It can probably handle 150g,s easy. I just gotta choose the right prop,and not overload it. once I get the Auw I can figure out the watts needed,and if the batt is large enough. Oh, I found the RC Guillows Aeronca plan.

Before someone says that's too heavy, I figured I'd second your statement about weight, since my Guillows C150 is 5.2oz and has flown heavier with previous batteries, other than the lighter one I'm using now. It's a really easy flyer and doesn't fly heavily. The only thing that's really lighter now is me, at around 148 now, versus the 220+ I was at in the video. :shock: My C150 is overpowered with something more in the 250 class, but I needed the noseweight anyway, with the sheeted fuse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7gySPV ... e3uS3fLSoA

The small 10gm motor commonly known as the HK Hextronix 10gm micro outrunner is a good choice for the 24" Guillows models, other than ones like the Fairchild 24 that can be built rather light in weight. I became a bit fan of this place, since they always shipped my orders quickly with no hassle:
http://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-180-Pl ... -H-560.htm

On the plan printing, this may sound insane, but I used MS Paint. The idea is to experiment with scaling, until you can change the page dimensions under "attributes", to match the wingspan. You just have to be really careful not to save the file, when you're testing to see if the span matches the page width. The idea is to save it first, then box in the overall wingspan with the select box, next change the attribute property to the span width, and then past the wing onto the page and see if it fits. If not, then take the original file, create a new test file, and then tweak the "resize" scaling a bit, and try again. Once I finally get it, I minimize the printer borders and experiment with print preview using both portrait and landscape settings, to see which one will work out best. Then get ready to print a stack of sheets, trim, and tape them all together. I also had issues with the scaling going off, so I always do a final span check using the method described before, remembering not to save the file, as it is just a test procedure. I then reopen the file and print it.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:31 am

I figured out my program too. I just go into print advance options, and pic poster, and it will print out all the pieces to tapr togrther.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:37 am

All controls and motor are adjosted to Zero, and now I have just to infill a little and cover. I added 2deg. right thrust and 1 deg down .
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:34 am

Lots of time tampering, and tweaking. I know this plane is going to fly. But can I fly it. I will practice with my foam planes before I fly it.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:07 pm

spackle,24 hrs cure sand, and finish. And hopefully FLY ! Thank you Mr. Duckett for teaching me this finishing method.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:30 am

My cowl was missing from kit, and so I am making one. This is my 1st attempt so forgive the crudeness. I need to carvw a nose block out of a solid piece, and I was thinking of adding a little air scoop on bottom maybe. I want to learn this as I have the plans for the Guillows DeHavilland Mosquito, but no plastic parts available. I have been wanting to do a twin engine for a while. And recently on History Channel they had a show "Great Planes" featuring the Mosquito, and I Love it now knowing all the history behind it.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:56 am

I sanded it. I will sand it once more with fine paper, recheck the linkage before I put in the last couple pieces I left out for access, and then attach wings, and cover.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:05 am

Ready for final assy.
davidchoate

Postby Konrad » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:57 pm

Greeting Dave,
I just joined the form. I hope it isn't too late but I would re-do the landing gear. The Stock Guillow as found on the planes will not hold up to R/C use, heck they rarely last a landing in anything other than "tall grass"when using rubber band FF. Even your light R/C model will tax the balsa landing gear struts.

See if you can add some structure like what I show in this thread
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa ... ic=16387.0

I can tell you it is a loads of fun doing touch and goes with these small series 300 guillow private planes.

All the best,
Konrad
Konrad

Postby davidchoate » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:52 am

Oh, I beefed the LG. Addwd 1/64 ply behind the balsa and also made slots so the wire can bounce up into them a little, and I mounted the center to plywood. It's gonna be OK. I'm in the finishing stages now. Nervous to fly it though. I'm already thinkin of My next build. Something cheap! Rubber powered Bird Dog.
davidchoate

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions