Aeronca Old Kit

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Aeronca Old Kit

Postby David Lewis » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:12 pm

Possibly a factory employee inadvertently fed 3/32" sheet balsa into the die cutting press instead of 1/16".
David Lewis

Postby davidchoate » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:54 pm

No, even on the printed plan it tells you the sizes. As best I can tell, It's from the 1980's. I dont know if the newer kits use thicker wood, but I dont remember as much 3/32" wood on the other 300 series planes. I plan on doing some scalloping of the formers, and maybe drill holes in the massive stack of wing ribs, they really use ALOT of them. I cant see this thing flying on rubber. I keep saying i'm done with these micro conversions, but I can't help myself. I got all the parts ,and I know i'm not gonna quit til I get one to fly.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:19 am

Anyone ever heard of this Kit from Guillows?. I wish they would introduce more RC plans, and larger planes.Can I still obtain the Full size plan you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:39 am

Lightened up the tail as much as I dare. My first attemp at scalloping.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:39 pm

Ok. I took some ideas from Mitch, and you can see them obviously. I never scalloped before, but I think in addition to saving weight, it will alsi keep the B former vertical lines from showing through the tissue. If the wood wasnt so thick I would have been more conservative on how much I removed. I'm leaving the stringers off the cowl area til I fit the radio gear. In the past this has given me grief. Having to run controls on the finished model. I also am using the nice thick wingtip to add 1/8" washout to the wingtips. I want to try and make this a one piece removeable wing, and if I can't I'm going 3 channel. Rudder, Elev., and throttle.I have been looking at that old Guillows Cessna 46" Rc plan, and how they have the removeable wing may be possible on this plane.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:43 pm

I am going to use the yellow tissue that came in the kit. If it looks funny, I'll give it a paint job.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:13 pm

Next I will fit the controls and electronics. I'm just goin with 3 channel. I've had off all week so I made good progress, but Monday I go back. So I'm goin to Try and get it done this weekend.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:24 am

Tail is straight
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Making good progress. I am installing motor, Rx ,etc. I finished the wing panels, and chose to put a 1/32" x 1/8" basswood srrip on the leading edge, and a 1/32" balsa sheet to the 1st stringer. I got plenty of power,and The wings always get banged up. I cant get Spruce. LHS says discontinued, and even on Midwest site whats left is it. Is there a Spruce shortage?
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:10 pm

davidchoate wrote:Anyone ever heard of this Kit from Guillows?. I wish they would introduce more RC plans, and larger planes.Can I still obtain the Full size plan you think?

outerzone.uk has the plans, although I imagine you may have found them there. I've done the old fashioned scale/print/trim sheets/tape sheets together thing a number of times, using outerzone plans. Worth the effort for something you really want to build.
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/search/resul ... &Submit=Go

I see these kits on Ebay from time to time, but they get a lot for them. Some of them look like nice rc designs.

davidchoate wrote:Making good progress. I am installing motor, Rx ,etc. I finished the wing panels, and chose to put a 1/32" x 1/8" basswood srrip on the leading edge, and a 1/32" balsa sheet to the 1st stringer. I got plenty of power,and The wings always get banged up. I cant get Spruce. LHS says discontinued, and even on Midwest site whats left is it. Is there a Spruce shortage?
That makes sense, with fewer and fewer builders, as well as hobby shops. I'd try to find one that has a bunch and buy it up, like the one I used to go to. There's always good old basswood, as you mentioned. Then again sometimes they have ironwood balsa stock, that's darn near like spruce. :D

BTW, I'm now building an old Guillows Curtiss Robin, that has the heavy 3/32" wood. Definitely an rc job, and not rubber. I'll have to get some pics.
Last edited by Bill Gaylord on Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:16 pm

I'm not going to make a one piece wing yet, but I will study that old Guillows 48"Rc cessna plan, and see how they did it. I want Guillows to offer thse kits again. When they did in the late 70's early 80's; the Rc gear was crude, and expensive. Not geared toward the typical Guillows customer. Mostly young kids with a small budget, and big dreams. I was that kid in 1983, and I was introduced to hobby by Guillows kits, and could not afford RC stuff till I was like 15 and got a job. But things are different now. The stuff is inexpensive, and easy to work. I just hate to see some of,or all of their RC kits out of production. I want the Aeronca Rc Plan if available. It looks more like a Glider. Saw it once in a old catalog. and if I wasnt lookin through the free plan site for a jumpin bean I'd a never stumbled across the Cessna plans. I cant get them full size cause Staples only can enlarge to 36"
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:23 pm

That C170 probably would be a nice rc model. I'd break down and to the home printing job for the plans. Places like Staples are known to goof them up sometimes. The other benefit of printing/trimming/taping the plan together at home, is that after putting an evening of effort into the project, then you HAVE TO build it. :lol: I have the little Guillows C150 as an rc 3 channel conversion, and it's a really easy to fly model that I would train a first time flyer one. Does well, especially given the added weight of tri-gear and 1/32" fuse sheeting.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:43 pm

I downloaded the plan sheets from that UK link, but dont know how to print them out full size. Does anyone know? I weighed stuff just to get an idea. My AUW with all but some infil, and tissue.is 80g's. Not bad with a brushless, larger than avg batt, and the extra strong wings. I know this one will fly. As long as I get the dihedral, and balance right. I worry about keeping the wings straight as they have no real mid section, and depend on the side window formers for alignment.Also I am going to attempt to make a woodon cowl. Any ideas or advice. I was thinkin a built up with former or 2, several srtingers, and infill,or shet. And a solid piece in the very front.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:49 pm

Ok. So on to sanding the wings, and assembly.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:31 pm

linkage is set.
davidchoate

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions