Aeronca Old Kit

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Aeronca Old Kit

Postby davidchoate » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:12 am

I'm starting an Aeronca, and conv. to Rc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Re: Aeronca Old Kit

Postby goose » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:51 pm

The Hobbyzone Champ Is a really good flying little airplane, it sure is a lot of fun, but that's for another forum. :D
Creating Sawdust.
goose

Postby davidchoate » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:02 pm

I Know, But I learned so much about Rc conv. Guillows from it. It's so similar in size ,scale, and weight. It cant handle any wind either, just like a Guillows Model ! I plan to use the Electrics in my Aeronca if I can keep it under 40 grams.
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:54 am

Hi David,

Thanks for posting about your Champ. I have a Hobby King version. It came out of the box broken. Your post had a lot of good ideas. I decided to salvage the motor, propeller and throttle out of mine. I hope to put it into a Guillow's 500 Series kit.

WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:40 am

The 500's are hard to keep under 50 grams total. any more and it wont want to fly. cant wait to see it !
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:01 pm

Well I know its not much to look at. I took an old junked 500 Series kit and fitted it with some RC. Now I'm not trying to make it RC I just don't have a real timer yet so I thought It would be easier to use an RC throttle control. What I'm trying to do is get it to fly Electric Free Flight. I just want to see if the motor is strong enough is all this experiment is about.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:29 pm

Well the Champ motor propeller turned out to be way underpowered for the 500 Series kit. I will order up a Brushless Motor and try it again soon.
WIDDOG

Postby Angie332 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:06 am

Davidchoate cute little champ. I have one. I sure do love flying it. The last time I flew mine it got a mind of it's own and went it down in a locked football field. Had to shimmy under the fence tore my backside up trying to fetch it :-) she's home safe in her box. Can't wait to get her out and try flying again. Sometimes if the wind isn't to bad you can lower the throttle back and fly her like a kite :-) if you catch the wind just right.
Angie332

Postby davidchoate » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:07 am

Thats the problem with these tiny planes. Its like flying a piece of paper. And I sometimes cut the gas, and like Angie said, Fly it like a glider.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:16 am

Widdog, If that Plane was under 50grams, it should have flown easily. Also Ares makes micros, and I sometimes will try their props too. But having no certain plan to go by, with a limited knowledge of aerodynamics, Its hard to find that right recipe for success sometimes. Ares(Firelands corp) also has a small 2300kv brushless, esc, and batt. conv. kit for their plane(Taylorcraft). Its a 50g trainer THATS UPGRADEABLE TO A Aileron trainer. The cicuit brick Rx has additional plugs for the aileron, and esc. This is the gear I intend to use on This Guillows Aeronce. The brushless should easily power 100g plane. maybe more. I have had little success with the 8.5mm brushed motors.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:50 pm

How do you limit youre motor run time without esc and stuff? I have been curious about trying electric FF but dont know the correct way to make a timer to cut power.
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:28 am

I have the same problem about electric timers. I use a micro RC and set it up for throttle control only. I am learning up on timers and hope to be able to use one soon.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:33 am

Starting on my absolute fave build. The 500 Series Rufe built as a Zero. I am cutting the kit out of 5 pound Contest Balsa wood. I will order some plastic parts from Guillow's. I will be attempting to convert this kit to an Electric FF model. I had two 500 series kits that where pretty beat up, I used them as experimental models. They both where heavy and both had a AUW (All Up Wieght) more than 50 grams. Even though they never actually flew/glided I did learn a vast amount of information from them. Hopefully I will be able to get this Zero to fly Electric Free Flight. If not I will go back to the drawling board and try again probably with the Hellcat.

WIDDOG

Postby Angie332 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:04 am

:wink:
I hope that no one takes what I have got to say the wrong way... I so get it that this forum is for guillows. But I thought this forum is were people like me can ask a question about any model or RC and get help. It's kinda aggravating to see someone post something about a RC or model and to see someone post thats for another forum.:-(
I just thought I'd put that out there. Hope to not offend anyone
Angie332

Postby Steve Blanchard » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:04 am

Well Angie, unfortunately people are very protective of Guillows on this forum. If you are going to stick to nothing but Guillow's and this forum you will certainly limit yourself. You really should try the other forums such as Small Flying Arts and Hip Pocket Aeronautics. These are much more broad spectrum sites with much better information when it comes to flying in both Free Flight and RC. I don't think anyone meant to be rude it's just how it is on a corporate sponsored site. One might say it's actually fair. I enjoy Guillow's kits for the box art and the occasional decent design but the real flying ability belongs to the scratch builder and the plans sites. If that is where you want to head in this hobby then you gotta start branching out away from here. by the way there are several kit manufacturers that make good looking and flying scale models.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Next

Return to General Building Questions