Aeronca Old Kit

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Aeronca Old Kit

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:48 pm

Steve Blanchard wrote:Well Angie, unfortunately people are very protective of Guillows on this forum. If you are going to stick to nothing but Guillow's and this forum you will certainly limit yourself. You really should try the other forums such as Small Flying Arts and Hip Pocket Aeronautics. These are much more broad spectrum sites with much better information when it comes to flying in both Free Flight and RC. I don't think anyone meant to be rude it's just how it is on a corporate sponsored site. One might say it's actually fair. I enjoy Guillow's kits for the box art and the occasional decent design but the real flying ability belongs to the scratch builder and the plans sites. If that is where you want to head in this hobby then you gotta start branching out away from here. by the way there are several kit manufacturers that make good looking and flying scale models.

Steve

Those are valid points, but it all depends on what a person wants. One good thing about this site however, is that of all corporate sites, the corporation stays completely out of the site, and allows us Guillows enthusiasts to do our thing. That is very refreshing, given the advertising and controlling nature of most sponsored sites. As for Hippocket, they didn't last long form me, as the staff interrupted and disrupted my threads more than once, in manners which showed a complete lack of self control. If they were a comparable, corporate site, and you were to have made comments of similar nature pertaining to them, you would probably already have been banned there.

Given the negative mentality toward Guillows models and mass disinformation pertaining to them which is posted at many other modeling sites, it's not surprising that people here may seem a bit "protective" toward Guillows models here. Personally, I contest the disinformation that many post about the models, and show the Guillows enthusiasts how they can have success with these models, based on personal experiences and effort. Thankfully there are also free-flighters here such as Mitch that publish meaningful information pertaining to Guillows free-flight. This disinformation goes as far as numerous people who probably couldn't get anything to fly, but will still publish negative, and basically worthless information on Guillows kits, as well as model kits in general. I know you're far from one of those people, but the internet is full of that type of info.

I've found a number of the Guillows kits to actually be decent designs, big IF, as person knows what they're doing. The main issue is weight, more than anything else. Sure, many require some modification, but at the end of the day, the successful Guillows flyers tend to be some of the most knowledgeable and skilled of all. Those who take on challenges and master them are generally the people at the top. That philosophy is not taught much today. Interestingly, some of the so-called most challenging Guillows models have been excellent flyers, with a small amount of tweaking, and proper building. The "non-flying" DC3 even turned out to be an excellent flyer. I enyoy scratch building from plans sites such as Outerzone as much as any, but there is a paradox there: The people I know who become successful at that, often tend to be the types who mastered scale kit modeling first. This includes learning which tweaks are required to produce good flying models, as well as getting a heavier, sheeted scale model to fly well. To each their own, but a covered framework rendition of a metal skinned WWII warbird just doesn't get it for me.

Angie332 wrote::wink:
I hope that no one takes what I have got to say the wrong way... I so get it that this forum is for guillows. But I thought this forum is were people like me can ask a question about any model or RC and get help. It's kinda aggravating to see someone post something about a RC or model and to see someone post thats for another forum.:-(
I just thought I'd put that out there. Hope to not offend anyone
You could ask me any time. Don't let a few people who make their own rules, dictate them to you. A number of people aren't even aware that Guillows owns the rights to some of the other model companies, many now defunct. It's not as if they're competitors, and posting about them simply promotes building balsa kits in general, and is also enjoyable for the balsa kit building enthusiasts.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Angie332 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:37 pm

Thanks for your input. I just got a little bit upset cause thete is a lot of knowledge to be obtained & the guys are nice most part... I have been to other forums. I do have other kits that are not guillows. Just not ready to play with them. They are Dumas. I hear they are good kits with good wood. Any how sorry if I offended any if y'all in any way.
Angie332

Postby Angie332 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:48 pm

WOW!! Bill thank you. I will ask you questions. Have you seen my Spitfire? It's my best yet. I am bound and determined to get one of my kits to fly more than 2yards. I like building guillows. Maybe cause guillows was my first kit. And I am only on my 3rd kit. So guillows I like :-) I don't care what people say about guillows. They can't change my mind. LoL!
Angie332

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:43 pm

Wow very interesting posts. I consider myself a "Good" Guillow's customer. Anyway here is a pic of my RC throttle control. IMHO I think it would be better to go with a RC throttle control than a timer. Image
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:42 pm

Angie332 wrote:WOW!! Bill thank you. I will ask you questions. Have you seen my Spitfire? It's my best yet. I am bound and determined to get one of my kits to fly more than 2yards. I like building guillows. Maybe cause guillows was my first kit. And I am only on my 3rd kit. So guillows I like :-) I don't care what people say about guillows. They can't change my mind. LoL!

You're welcome. Yes I have seen the Spitfire. Looks nice. The Spitfire is possibly the best example of a Guillows kit that has been unfairly knocked. I have the 28" version that is a nice flyer. Not surprisingly, the mods required were not just necessary for The Guillows Spitfire, but for many Spitfire models, although people have criticized the Guillows Spitfire, as if it was only theirs that had any issues. I've seen my share of takeoff/left roll/crash Spitfire videos. Mine required significant washout and more right thrust than on any model I've built, but after those tweaks became an rc model that could be launched without needing to touch the sticks for any corrective action. Myself and another guy disproved one of those "experts" who stated that ours would never fly at their weight, but apparently couldn't do simple area calcs, along with their ability to speak from vast experience that none of us ever seemed to see documented. Those "just because I said so" types are by far the most annoying. The larger kit has 1sq-ft of wing area, by far the largest of the series, making it a nice flyer at 15oz. I just watched a YouTube video last week of the smaller version, which appears to be an excellent rc micro conversion.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:04 pm

Still working on my experimental 500 Series kit. I took the my time and learned the proper way to tin and solder wirer. This may or may not work out flying wise but I have been having a lot of fun with this build.

WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:15 am

Steve is right. I try my best to show only Guillows stuff on here, but also I go on other forums. I prefer the stick and tissue forum, but thats because I like small planes. The micro RC conversions are a real challenge,but on the other hand sometimes I learn from other kinds of planes things that can help improve a Guilows plane. All in all however, this is still my favorite forum. Alot of the other forums are bigger, and have so many categories that its hard to follow individuals builds. I will always be a Guillows Guy. Maybe cause they are the planes I first built as a kid.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:49 am

OK. The Zero is one of my favorite planes, but I got way off my Aeronca post build thread. So I got the plan , and started on the fuselage. This kit is old. I'm not sure how old . I notice 3/4 of it is 3/32" wood. No 1/20" at all. also it is that darker harder balsa which is strong for formers and such, but if I need to flex any stringers I will have to use diferrent ones. This is definitely going to be an RC plane as I can tell it's gonna be on the heavy side. I am also going to attempt ailerons on Her. I think I learned enough from all my failures to make this one work. I am waiting for parts for my 1 meter Swallow, and so I have a week or so to build this, and if you look at the picture, you can see that Guillows at one time did have other color tisssue besides Grey, Light Grey, and Red.IT would be nice if they would put more of a variety of colors in the kits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby ekram » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:15 am

Bill Gaylord wrote: One good thing about this site however, is that of all corporate sites, the corporation stays completely out of the site, and allows us Guillows enthusiasts to do our thing. .
HAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:
ekram

Postby davidchoate » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:59 am

Yes, I noticed there are'nt any moderators to say on here. Some sites are vicious. I feel that I will always buy and build Guillows stuff, but as I get more experienced, I will eventually have to branch out to bigger planes as far as RC goes.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:03 am

more photos. They gave me xtra vertical tail parts. I still cant believe its all 3/32 wood almost. I'm considering modifying the wing to accomadate the ailerons, and maybe a couple in. longer. :idea:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:04 am

I was concerned about weight as the old kit uses alot of 3/32 balsa, and has 26 wing ribs, and 1/8" spars top and bottom. . so I weighed everthing. een the windshields,prop,rubber, and wheels with the wire gear.. To my amazement it only came to 46g's total ! I know thats heavy for FF, but I'm going to RC conv. it. It should be plenty strong.lol. I have not done but one other 300 kit, and that was the Cub. I dont remember it having 3/32" wood,or so many ribs and spars. The wood is that dark hard balsa that doesnt flex easily. Maybe cause its so old the wood dried out and is super light? The heaviest thing all in all is the yellow tissue. 7g's . I'm hoping the thicker harder wood will be easier to make cuts for the control surfaces, and less prone to warpage.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:18 am

If I was using 1/20" wood, and only half as many ribs, it would weigh like 60g's for me. go figure. The RC gear with battery weighs apprx. 30=40g's depending on if I use a regular Rx instead of the integrated brick; which I most likely will as I have had problems with the super micro stuff.And with the brushless motor power to weight is not an issue. I recently discovered hinge tape. It is the best way on these micros. The LHS has it, and so does Dubro, but its just really 3M packing tape , But it cost double if it says hinge tape on the package. So if my AUW is near 100g; I'm OK. The little 2300kv motor can fly a plane twice that with the right prop.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:45 am

There is no cowl in the box. I'll have to make one the old fashioned way.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:56 am

Fuselage is almost complete.
davidchoate

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions