help rubber motors

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

help rubber motors

Postby Angie332 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:42 am

I have been reading post about rubber motors. So, I got to shopping found some at hobbylinc. Which one do I buy or need. I have the 500 series and a few dumas 24 inch wing spane planes. Theres 6 different sizes some are strips some are just grey rubber bands. Would love to hear what y'all suggest.:-)
Angie332

Re: help rubber motors

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:24 pm

I recommend the F.I.A Super Sport Rubber in 1/16 inch thickness. I would recommend the 1/4 pound box. http://volareproducts.com/BUY/index.php ... cts_id=396

The FIA Super Sport Thread 1/16 inch at 8 strands will give you some altitude quick with the 500 Series kits. http://youtu.be/aUMBwxJsBCo
WIDDOG

Postby Mitch » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:18 am

Hi Angie,

I do not know what Guillow's supplies with the 500 series now, my older models had a blue rubber band. I have flown the 400 series with the supplied grey rubber. Tan rubber, that you get with Dumas or other sources is softer and gives a smoother power. Some say the grey rubber gives too much torque. BUT the props that Guillow supplies or Dumas are different, and all these things go together. So I would say try what comes with the kit. The rubber will not last more than a dozen flights. After a while you can experiment with different rubber and different props.

I get my tan rubber from Easybuilt. My 400 series have flown just fine, built as per plans with supplied prop and rubber, but not at a contest level. I have been making improvements because I am competing with the FAC...(Flying Aces Club).

That's my 2 cents... Mitch
Mitch

Postby stx44 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:25 am

For the record, the Props, etc that come in Dumas kits are Guillows ones (least in the few kits I've received).

They also come with good quality rubber, just not enough to swing a 6" prop (you need two loops, not one becuase of the thickness provided).

I personally get my rubber from ebay, but thats largely because its nigh impossible to get reasonably priced rubber in australia anywhere else. (I only know of one supplier who only sells in bulk packs beyond my budget, and to get it from the US is ridiculous due to the postage ).

Yes the tan rubber will give a longer flight time that Guillows - the Guillows grey thread rubber (as stated elswehere in the thread) gives a higher torque for a shorter period, and the tan rubber accepts more winds. Ive also found it doesnt last as long as the Tan before turning into a rigid helix or breaking. (OK, so my planes do have a habit of sitting in cars for 8 hours in mid summer, but anyway....)

However,a single thread of Guillows will swing a bigger prop than the Tan becuase of the higher power.

The rubber bands standard in 500 kits are awesome for catajets!
stx44

Postby Angie332 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:11 am

That's good to know. I guess I miss understood what I was reading before. That the rubber that comes in the kits wont fly thanks for the heads up
Angie332

Postby davidchoate » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:10 pm

I have mixed results with the kit rubber. I never tried the blue because from day 1 on here I was told it will give a very powerful, but short burst of run time, but I never actually tried it. I think the motor length has alot to do with fly times. I am FAR from xpert on FF, but since I've been stretching when winding, and following ( I think Widdogs ) a formula for length, I am doing alot better with it.
davidchoate

Return to General Building Questions