3rd plane

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

3rd plane

Postby Angie332 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:15 am

I finally decided which to do next :-) The Spitfire won :-)
2014071411122000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angie332

Re: 3rd plane

Postby davidchoate » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Is that a 400 series, and laser cut. You must try a laser cut.
davidchoate

Postby Angie332 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:30 am

Sadly it's not. I do have some laser cut models. I just want to throw this one together for the fun of it. I want to order the Bill Ross book but he has a couple of different books. Not sure which book to order on Amazon :-)
Angie332

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:24 am

Kit 504 Super Marine Spitfire. Don Ross's Rubber Powered Model Airplanes was first book. Second Book Flying Models Rubber, Co2, Electric and Micro Radio Control. I'm kind of blessed that I like rubber powered FF. So the first book is fine for me. If you are thinking about the other options maybe the second book is more for you? I have both books. Actually I have a small library of books about the hobby.
WIDDOG

Postby Angie332 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:13 am

Widdog cool on the library. I'd like a small library of my own. I have 5 rc airplanes. My favorite is the little champ it's fun and easy to fly. It's great for beginners like me. Right at this moment I am satisfied with the rubber band flight. Now if I can only get one to fly :-) LoL that is why I am wanting the book. I am also looking for new rubberbands for my plane's. No hobby store sale much of anything for ff around here. Were do you purchase your supplies.
And thanks for the info on the book. I realized this morning Ihad the man's name all wrong. Silly me
Angie332

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Someone here once said about Rubber Power Free Flight... "Welcome To The Toughest Hobby You'll Ever Love".

I think the problem about finding rubber for motors is that A2Z Corp recently went out of business. I recommend http://www.volareproducts.com/BUY/ Valore Products Shorty's Basement. Now you probably are going to want to know what size/thickness rubber you should get. Well I depends on what kit you want to fly.

Your building a 500 Series kit now. They are difficult to get to fly. Here I am trying to trim a old 500 Series kit I had in my junk pile. I used a Hot Glue gun to get the model into a more or less flyable condition. http://youtu.be/DTLsnPg6Ey4

Anyway IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) The 900 Series kits are the best place to start flying. They are designed for rubber power solely. I recommend a 6 inch diameter Peck Polymer propeller. and 3/16 inch thick rubber. Also I would swap out the kit wood with Contest Balsa Wood. Swapping Contest Balsa is a bit advanced for a beginner. However, when you become a Intermediate level builder you will be glad you learned about Contest Wood.

I recommend you get the book(s) they are great. I still use the Don Ross books for reference.
WIDDOG

Postby Angie332 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:34 pm

I have hit every hobby store around my house. None sale the Don Ross book or much in the way of supplies :-( Found it here at guillows and on amazon. My hubby is gonna order it for me today. Happy me :-) he is also offering to buy me some new rubber. I found at hobby linc rubbers starting at size 1/8, 3/16, 3/32, 1/6 strips to 3/32 grey rubber and a 3/16 grey rubber. They are according to hobbylinc guillows product. I looked on guillows sit and didn't see them. As to the reason for the 500 series models they was cheap and a great start for learning to build according to my husband. I will go check your sit out. Thank you Widdog :-)
Angie332

Postby zoomie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:42 pm

Angie, while you're waiting for Don Ross' Rubber Powered Model Airplanes to arrive, here's a website for you: http://www.endlesslift.com

Great info there for people new to the hobby. Covers kits for beginners and kids, scratchbuilts, rubber, free plans, tutorials, all kinds of cool stuff. This is a good place for folks who are just starting to learn how to build and fly.

zoomie
zoomie

Postby Angie332 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Widdog that was so cool. I saw a YouTube video yesterday a contest. This hellcat looked to be a 500 series take off on its own what they called a carrier. I call a wagon with a piece of plywood on it. LoL. She flew so pretty. I have been doing a lot of video watching since I joined the guilliw forum. They just make me want to fly LoL. I hate being on airplanes if I do gotta fly got to have the window seat. I posted a pretty picture of a wing on a American airlines flight to Georgia. It's on the my 2nd build (my hellcat.) You might like it.
Angie332

Postby Angie332 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:47 pm

Thank you Zoomie I will certainly be looking at the sit.:-)
Angie332

Postby Angie332 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:16 pm

Widdog what do you think about guillows rubber motors# 121 and 119. Hobbylinc has some peck - polymers propellers on back oder. Bummer$3.95 item # pecpa-2. I guess I'll just have to keep looking :-)
Angie332

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:18 pm

I believe Don Ross wrote something like the "The rubber motor is all you get in this hobby; You want the best possible motor for your model". I agree with that. To be completely honest I don't like the Guillow's rubber motors. I'm also not too keen on the propellers ether. I wrote to Guillow's that IMHO I felt that the 900 Series kits flew better with the Guillow's D6 propeller than the D5 propellers that come in the kit. They didn't really seem to care much about my suggestion.

I personally pay the extra cost for 1/4 pound box of Valore Produces Shorty's Basement rubber. I honestly feel that this hobby doesn't cost me money but actually saves me money. Compared to what I pay for golf this hobby is nothing cost wise. I would also order some propellers from Shory's as well.
WIDDOG

Postby Angie332 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:31 pm

I showed my hubby your man in the basement widdog and Ishowed him the 3/16 rubber. Sadly he felt for for now I can use guillows rubbber :-( maybe next time he will buy the super sport bands :-)
Angie332

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi Angie332

Your husband may be correct here. The book is definitely more important. The 500 Series kits are designed as multi purpose models. i.e. Cox motor, Co2 motor or Rubber motor. With rubber motor they are designed to be "Hand Wound". They are capable of brief flights. The booklet that comes with the kit talks about "Stretch Winding" to increase flight times.

Awhile back I had made a video on Stretch Winding. I made a homemade Winding Stooge. I also talk about the Winder. Mine has a 10 to 1 ratio so counting is kind of easy. http://youtu.be/M-KOZnsNV6g

Keith
WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:08 am

Widdog is correct. In my opinion 500 series is not the kits to begin to try and fly them. . I learned this the hard way. Also, I have noticed, but maybe just a coincidence, that when ever I ordered a plane direct from Guillows, the wood was better. I use kit wood, I have been having weight issues from day one on FF. I do RC mostly, but if I could turn back the clock 3 yrs when I got back into it, I would have learned FF first. I have been into FF for about a year ever since I heard Mitch talk about his 3rd place 90 sec. flight with a 400 series. But again. buy an Arrow, Lancer, or a 900 series, and when that first flight happens for you, you will want longer, more, and there are alot of other options. Check out air agestore.com. They got books, and a site called Stick and Tissue. Alot of guys on here also are on that site. you will get to see other methods to use on your Guillows. Wind is critical. pick a calm, DEAD calm day to fly. Peanut scale is cool. I Got several plans, but am currently busy on a RC project. Good Luck Flying next time I hope you make it more than 2 yards lol. Widdog. Does anyone still make Co2 motors, I got a couple old Telco's, but can't get stuff for them, and so I sold them to the LHS.. I always liked them better than rubber, but since the 80's dont know where to get a new one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Next

Return to General Building Questions