New to this, question about rudder/stabilizer

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

New to this, question about rudder/stabilizer

Postby Puffin » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi all,
I am new to all this. I built a few balsa and tissue models when I was a teenager (approximately a bazillion years ago). I am building a DHC-2 Beaver. My intent is to free fly it with rubber power. Eventually, I'd like to build another to convert to electric RC but I'm still a total newbie at RC. I just ordered a simulator to start learning to fly.

My question is this. If I'm going to free fly this place with no remote control, do I want to (or need to) pre-set the rudder and stabilizer in any particular configuration? i.e. A bit of rudder so it goes in circles and a bit of up elevator so that it climbs? If so, how do I determine how much..

Thanks in advance,

Paula (Puffin)
Puffin

Re: New to this, question about rudder/stabilizer

Postby Billy Mc » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Elevator up is going to cause it to climb and stall. If it's built to plans and balanced it should climb until power drops then slowly glide back down. You may even have to put in some down thrust to keep it from pitching into too steep a climb. The torque from the spinning prop should cause it to circle with the rudder straight.
Billy
Billy Mc

Postby Puffin » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:45 pm

Perfect. Thanks!

Puffin
Puffin

Postby David Lewis » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:45 pm

The rudder and stabilizer aren't preset during the building process. Instead you just build according to plans -- straight, aligned, warp free, and CG in correct location. Then after the plane is finished, a series of test glides will tell you what trim adjustments need to be made to the fin, stabilizer and wing tips.
David Lewis

Postby stx44 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:42 pm

Like the other guys have said- build to plans. When it comes time to flight test, you can adjust both rudder and elevator by carefully bending. Small adjustments count for a lot , so a gentle bend gives good results.
stx44

Postby Puffin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:16 pm

So, bottom line is; there is no reason at this point and for my stated purposes, to hinge the stabilizer and rudder. That would only be if I was going RC (or control line).

I'm sure this all sounds like a total newbie question, I'd just prefer to ask a silly question than to make a mistake that can't be easily undone.

Cheers,

Paula (Puffin)
Puffin

Postby David Lewis » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:58 pm

That's correct. No need to worry about control surface settings during construction because you won't know what it needs until you test fly it. Trim adjustments are then made by warping or shimming the appropriate flying surface, adding a trim tab, or changing the angle of the thrust line.
David Lewis

Return to General Building Questions