lancer build for G Challenge.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

lancer build for G Challenge.

Postby davidchoate » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:31 pm

I began it last night. git the horiz, and vert. tail frames done,and began on Wing. It appears the same as the Javelin almost. It's not laser cut,but the wood is very nice for a die stamp kit. I know I can build it in a few more hrs, bot I need some advice, I am used to RC,and strengthI began it last night. git the horiz, and vert. tail frames done,and began on Wing. It appears the same as the Javelin almost. It's not laser cut,but the wood is very nice for a die stamp kit. I know I can build it in a few more hrs, bot I need some advice, I am used to RC,and strengthening with a nylon covering,I want to know the best material to cover with. My concern as warping. I put weights on the components and let them "flatten, for a week or 3 before covering. I was gonna use the kit tissue because its for the G-Challenge,but I need to prevent warping.If I apply wet; it seems logical that it will only shrink even mere, but applied dry,and then moistened,is how I'm gonna try it if no one has any ideas. ' ' . Sincerely,javascript:void(0)David W CHojavascript:void(0)ate.javascript:void(0)javascript:void(0)ening with a nylon covering,I want to know the best material to cover with. My concern as warping. I put weights on the components and let them "flatten, for a week or 3 before covering. I was gonna use the kit tissue because its for the G-Challenge,but I need to prevent warping.If I apply wet; it seems logical that it will only shrink even mere, but applied dry,and then moistened,is how I'm gonna try it if no one has any ideas. I began it last night. git the horiz, and vert. tail frames done,and began on Wing. It appears the same as the Javelin almost. It's not laser cut,but the wood is very nice for a die stamp kit. I know I can build it in a few more hrs, bot I need some advice, I am used to RC,and strengthening with a nylon covering,I want to know the best material to cover with. My concern as warping. I put weights on the components and let them "flatten, for a week or 3 before covering. I was gonna use the kit tissue because its for the G-Challenge,but I need to prevent warping.If I apply wet; it seems logical that it will only shrink even mere, but applied dry,and then moistened,is how I'm gonna try it if no one has any ideas. ' ' . Sincerely,javascript:void(0)David W CHojavascript:void(0)ate.javascript:void(0)javascript:void(0) ' ' . Sincerely,javascript:void(0)David W CHojavascript:void(0)ate.javascript:void(0)javascripI began it last night. git the horiz, and vert. tail frames done,and began on Wing. It appears the same as the Javelin almost. It's not laser cut,but the wood is very nice for a die stamp kit. I know I can build it in a few more hrs, bot I need some advice, I am used to RC,and strengthening with a nylon covering,I want to know the best material to cover with. My concern as warping. I put weights on the components and let them "flatten, for a week or 3 before covering. I was gonna use the kit tissue because its for the G-Challenge,but I need to prevent warping.If I apply wet; it seems logical that it will only shrink even mere, but applied dry,and then moistened,is how I'm gonna try it if no one has any ideas. ' ' . Sincerely,javascript:void(0)David W I began it last night. git the horiz, and vert. tail frames done,and began on Wing. It appears the same as the Javelin almost. It's not laser cut,but the wood is very nice for a die stamp kit. I know I can build it in a few more hrs, bot I need some advice, I am used to RC,and strengthening with a nylon covering,I want to know the best material to cover with. My concern as warping. I put weights on the components and let them "flatten, for a week or 3 before covering. I was gonna use the kit tissue because its for the G-Challenge,but I need to prevent warping.If I apply wet; it seems logical that it will only shrink even mere, but applied dry,and then moistened,is how I'm gonna try it if no one has any ideas. ' ' . Sincerely,javascript:void(0)David W CHojavascript:void(0)ate.javascript:void(0)javascript:void(0)CHojavascript:void(0)ate.javascript:void(0)javascript:void(0)t:void(0)http://www.phpbb.com/
davidchoate

Re: lancer build for G Challenge.

Postby Mitch » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:27 am

David,

I like to get the paper on dry. I use kit paper or domestic paper in different colors. I would stay away from silver and gold.

1. Get the paper on and as tight as possible. I use a glue stick. Let dry for several hours.
2. Since this plane has a polyhedral wing, have a jig set up for placement of the wing. Blocks or something.
3. Lightly spray the wing and set it in the jig to dry.

Here is a picture of my Arrow with similar construction. I had no problem with wing warp.

PS. You can always go back to your own post if you need to edit the contents of that post.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:45 pm

Here is an example of a simple jig for a wing that has been covered with dry tissue, sprayed, and pinned down to dry. (The wing is wet in the photo having just been pinned down.) The tabs holding the wing down are three layers of index card stock so that the pins do not have to go through any of the structure. Set up the jig, with all the pins and tabs laid out, before spraying the wing since if you use rubbing alcohol, as I do, instead of water, you will have to work fast to pin it down. In this case, I put 1/16", balsa wedges under the trailing edge of the wing tips to shrink in the washout. Done this way the washout stays after the tissue is sprayed with Krylon or dope. I use rubbing alcohol (70%) since it does not take all the shrink out of the tissue and if there are any minor wrinkled areas left, when it is dry, they can be tightened up by applying a little water to those areas. Of course, if the structure is strong enough I prefer to cover wet.

Hope this helps! :)
kittyfritters

Postby David Lewis » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:59 am

The trick to water shrinking tissue, I believe, is to lightly spray the water on, using the finest mist and as little water as possible. That seems to prevent most wrinkles and warps.
David Lewis

Postby davidchoate » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:16 am

My wing is done. I'm beginning the fuselage. So far the wood is great. Thanks for the covering tips. I will post more pictures later. As you can tell I got a camera now, and am just getting the hang of downloading my photos. though I have built Almost all of the planes in the G challenge series applicable, I am going to enter this one just for that. My cob came out beautiful, but didnt fly as well as I had hoped. I learned alot on my Javelin. And this being very similar, I think it has the best chance of flying well. I am going for lightness, and trying to build it so It will balance without addition of much weight. I decreased the dihedral on the outer wing panels by 1/3 of what it said on the plans. My Javelin flies ok, and perfectly straight, but I could never get it to climb to altitude to get good flight times. I'm not yet keen to all aerodynamic cause and effects, but just feel that this will help.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:45 pm

I just realized that no tissue came in the kit. I have planty of extra though , and from what I hear its would've been the Grey and Red again. I already got a Javelin that color.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:28 pm

I am ready to cover. One question, if anyone knows, I want to slightly modify the Landing Gear. The way it tells to do it on the plan will break off on the first flight. Will this be against the contest rules?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:30 pm

Its ver hot in my room.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:33 am

I am trying something new. Instead of Dope, I,m sealing the wood with clear spraypaint. I got this idea from this forum a while ago.We'll see if it helps my weight problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:37 am

If you look at that plansheet, and notice that there is no right side wing panel? Does anyone know the best way to build the right wing using this type of plan?
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:55 pm

ok. I weighed all components and added them up.Tissue 8g, wing 5.3g, hor. stab1.3gVert. Stab .3g, Fuse w/ motor and prop 18.8g, and Landing gear 4g. that gives me a total of 38.8gs , and i expect to use less tissue than I weighed. Is that good so far, qwill it fly good? Mitch; Help me?
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:04 pm

Started covering. used the pin down tequniquue to help the arping,and it seems to work thanx. I've chasen to make it all White, and Black. And no dope. I'm going to spray with glossy lacquer.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:12 pm

I either have to redesign the LG, or make it removeable, cause its nit strong.
davidchoate

Postby Angie332 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:12 pm

Nice looking :-) Davidchoate.. quick question how did you fix your pictures
Angie332

Next

Return to General Building Questions