Guillows Lancer 2014 Challenge

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Guillows Lancer 2014 Challenge

Postby scigs30 » Mon May 26, 2014 6:13 pm

I am entering the 2014 Guillows challenge with the Lancer. This is built stock with a couple of modifications. I am using a removable nose block and extending the landing gear wire for strength. The wood quality is ok, die crunch is bad but workable. I don't understand why Guillows is using this white and grey tissue for all the kits, what happened to color tissue? I may use a larger prop, add dowels in the cabin for removable wing and use colored tissue. I am going with the color scheme shown on the plans for the gas powered Lancer. Of course that picture is black and white so I will have to guess on what colors they are, either red and white or red and yellow.
Plane is built with mostly white glue and some Testors cement. I really don't like the plastic humps on the side of the fuselage so I may not add them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scigs30

Re: Guillows Lancer 2014 Challenge

Postby hunterdude » Mon May 26, 2014 10:33 pm

Nice looking Lancer.
Last edited by hunterdude on Tue May 27, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hunterdude

Postby scigs30 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:47 pm

Almost ready to cover
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scigs30

Postby Mitch » Tue May 27, 2014 10:00 pm

Looks like a very nice skeleton... I have not made any advance on my Fairchild 24... I built this last winter:
I would like to modify the front end... I need to make a removable nose block. There is no way I will be able to stretch wind any decent amount of rubber.

I have should have some time next week and hope to get a lot of covering done on some skeletons I have around the house...Its starting to look like Halloween around here.

I think the Lancer has an advantage, but I like to build scale models... Only our flight times will tell.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby kittyfritters » Thu May 29, 2014 1:02 pm

You guys might consider adding dethermalizers. I've seen both the Lancer and Fairchild go five minutes with "light air", and with aftermarket props. I've had my Fairchild go over a minute with the stock prop. Never built a Lancer myself.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby scigs30 » Fri May 30, 2014 9:08 am

Dt? No way, I like the exercise that's how I stay skinny :lol: Howard, I entered this build in the challenge, is it ok if I don't add the ugly side cowls? Should be all done today.
scigs30

Postby kittyfritters » Fri May 30, 2014 10:12 am

scigs30 wrote:Dt? No way, I like the exercise that's how I stay skinny :lol: Howard, I entered this build in the challenge, is it ok if I don't add the ugly side cowls? Should be all done today.

But David, what will you do if you fly at Otay Mesa, it catches a thermal and heads South? :cry:

Yes, you may leave off the side cowls. I'm not doing the appearance judging, the people at Guillow are.
kittyfritters

Postby scigs30 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:24 am

Howard, I have seen planes end up in Mexico, I have been real lucky over the years and mine just go East. :D
scigs30

Postby kittyfritters » Fri May 30, 2014 1:11 pm

scigs30 wrote:Howard, I have seen planes end up in Mexico, I have been real lucky over the years and mine just go East. :D

Caught in a Thermal, or "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner". :D
kittyfritters

Postby scigs30 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:06 pm

Here is the Lancer complete ready for flight coming in at 26grams. I used some old Guillows tissue from another Lancer kit I had, really don't know why it is not supplied. I attached the tissue with thinned white glue and brushed on 2 coats of clear dope. I glued the wing on and used thread and glue to attach the landing gear wire to the fuselage. I went with the color scheme shown on the plans for the gas powered Lancer, except I attached the blue tissue at the dihedral rib instead of the inboard second rib as shown in the picture. The inboard rib was not suitable for tissue anchor point and I did not realize this until I started covering. This is the second time I built this kit, first time I think I was about 9 years old and the fuselage came out looking like a banana. I attached the covering with colored Aerogloss dope and it looked pretty bad. Every time I flew the plane the landing gear would come off and the wing was crushed by the rubber band hold down, that's why I glued it on this time.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:13 pm

More pictures
scigs30

Postby Mitch » Fri May 30, 2014 4:04 pm

I like the Blue and White scheme! As for DT's... I'll figure those out after I loose my first airplane from defeating gravity! I am off to a train show this w/e and watching my daughter perform in a quintet at UW (Seattle) with her cello. Not working next week so I should start covering... It's great being 10 years old forever! Mitch... building Guillow models for over 40 years!
Mitch

Postby kittyfritters » Fri May 30, 2014 6:07 pm

Mitch wrote:I like the Blue and White scheme! As for DT's... I'll figure those out after I loose my first airplane from defeating gravity! ...

I have only lost one model to a flyaway and that was due to a faulty engine timer. However, I have seen many models disappear in a thermal, even a Harbor Freight electric powered foamy went O.O.S. at the Grassy Knoll to everyone's amazement. Some records, in 1949 a Wakefield model had a DT failure at a contest in Sacramento. It was returned from Salt Lake City. In the 1960's, an A2 towline glider went O.O.S. at the Sepulveda Basin (Old field, not the Grassy Knoll.) and was returned from St Louis! If you don't use a DT be sure that you name and phone number is on the model. ;)
kittyfritters

Postby davidchoate » Sat May 31, 2014 4:52 am

26g. Nice. MY Javelin was 48g, but I strengthened the fuselage alot. I use it for experimentation now. Cant wait to see the flight results.
davidchoate

Postby Mitch » Sat May 31, 2014 7:25 am

Okay, I'll do that... No DT, but name & phone number... I plan to fly at a proper field when my planes are ready. Schoolyard okay for trim flights. I should be meeting some of the guys in my FAC squadron soon!

I plan to finish up some of my current skeletons before I build my 1/2 Wakefield. I think that model should have a DT. I also have an Embryo planned for WESTFAC V, in 2015. I plan to expand out from my scale planes and enter more events during the contest!

Mitch
Mitch

Next

Return to General Building Questions