Guillows Lancer 2014 Challenge

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Guillows Lancer 2014 Challenge

Postby scigs30 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Yes, put a DT on this bird, I almost lost it today down at Otay. Members of my club were flying Coupes and cannot believe this stock Guillows kit flew better. I used 2 loops of 1/8th rubber lubed with Old Peck Polymers lube, a 7 inch Peck prop and she flew great. I then went to a 8 inch Peck prop and almost lost her, luckily the nose plug fell out and she came out of the thermal.
scigs30

Postby guitardude » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:33 am

Hello! I just found this post and I was wondering what is the "Guillows Lancer 2014 Challenge". I've actually built and converted a Guillows Lancer for RC, its been a real blast to fly but I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to enter it in the "Guillows Lancer Challenge". The Lancer is covered with "Stevens Aero Models "Aero Lite" covering, it's a GREAT product for covering models that would normally be covered with tissue and requires VERY low heat and is easy to apply.

I used utlra micro servos and modified the elevator and rudder for control surfaces, the dual elevator set up was a little bit of a challenge as I had to install it BEFORE I covered the top of the fuselage. The receiver is a Orange "Specktrum" receiver from Hobby King and I used a Great Planes "Rimfire" 250 with speed controller for the power plant. I'm using a 2S - 160Mha LiPo pack. There's plenty of power with this set up.

Here a picture of the aircraft if interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Men never grow up, our toys just get more exspensive... :^)
guitardude

Postby davidchoate » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:39 pm

I too am doing the Lancer. The wood in the kit( which I ordered from Guillows directly) is excellent. I learned alot on my Javelin, and hope this will fly better. I plan only 2 modifications. The Gear wire of course, and will use 1/64" ply on the LG legs, the balsa just breaks off on landing. I also lowered the dihedral slightly. I posted my progress on Yahoo, and will put it here when I'm done. I got a super new camera so now my pictures are not all fuzzy.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:16 pm

i'm 10 grams heavier than you. I used no dope, and Ca glue sparingly. Did the same mod to the Land Gear too. Why are my builds always overweight? I checked my scale with a 10g weight and its ok.I'm posting a couple pics of My Cub. I stripped it to the bone, and it still 51g's ! I thought maybe since I used acrylic paint on the fuselage (the acrylic takes alot of coats, but looks nice) That it would be lighter by alot more when removed. And this was one of the only planes that needed no ballast except for a steel washer I put under the Prop thrust hook . I loved the build,and i'm starting to think it may become an RC project. Now it needs weight on the nose to balance, so I gain no advantage with lighter paint. The wings I used yellow tissue from a Dumas kit I Got cause Guillows( I think the designer may lack color vision) only gives Grey,white, light Grey, and on a rare occasion Red. I think the kits are priced so that they can put some different colored tissues in them. FF and paint I am finding dont mix well.Oh, Sciggs, I was wondering if you used a double loop rubber. That may be my 10grams. I want to braid it, but just cant get it right. Mitch's tutorial was excellent, but I need a video of it being done to get the braiding right.I think the 900 Cub is nicer than the 300 series. I never got into the 600's& 900's til recently, and the Jav and Arrow, and things. But for FF they are best. A 500, or 300 is a better scale appearing plane,and the 400's. well they're in a different league. The size I would put between a micro and a 1/2 A. I know what 1/2A is but not what it means exactly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by davidchoate on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:41 pm

I think you can enter it with a cox .020, but it cant be RC. The plan has something about a tail with rubber bands and a fuse to prevent your plane ending up in Europe. I Think the Arrow would be a nice RC convrt, but i've been playing with the idea of a whole moving elev/horiz stab, and rudder/ vert. stab. Like you see on a fighter jet.I've seen it in a build in M.A.News. the Volksplane. The tail surfaces rotate on a dowel. Saves weight, eliminates hinginging tiny pieces, and gives a super large control surface area, but I dont know about the fuse tail thing. The plan is from the 1950's and they probably dont use thst anymore. Do they still make Cox engines. I used ti have a bunch 30 yrs ago.
davidchoate

Postby kittyfritters » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:17 pm

Remember, the 2014 "G" Challenge is for rubber powered models only.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby Billy Mc » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:21 pm

davidchoate wrote:Do they still make Cox engines. I used ti have a bunch 30 yrs ago.

http://coxengines.ca/
Billy
Billy Mc

Previous

Return to General Building Questions