Wid's kit 902 Bird Dog

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Wid's kit 902 Bird Dog

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:03 pm

Billy Mc wrote:Nice Wid, and cool choice of music.

Yep, I liked it too. Used to watch the Robert Conrad tv series growing up and was a favorite. Nice flying model also.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:24 pm

I never seem to have enough to make a new Topic Thread. So I guess I'll just keep adding on to this one for awhile. I used to be able to change/edit the Headline but I can't anymore. I know it's not right to Highjack someone thread, However, My threads it's ok to post whatever you want to post.

On another Thread Post someone mentioned Aerowerkes DPC Models website. I had know about this site. They sell "Short Kits". Anyway someone had posted it so I visited the site. They used to be Short Kits of WWI models. Well now apparently they added some Pre 1970's kit to the list of available kits. I order kit GU 5011.

Gu 5011 is the old Corsair kit. The Aerowrecks Short Kit version is laser cut. I have done some research on this kit. People that have built the kit from scratch say the kit is very tedious build. The original kit was die cut and probably much more fun to build. Anyway with the Short Kit being laser cut I am hoping for a good building experience.

BTW I will also post here about my 900 series Mustang build. I also will try to add some flying video of my Bird Dog.

Last edited by WIDDOG on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WIDDOG

Postby Steve Blanchard » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:37 am

Just a note: It is Aerowerkes DPC Models not aerowrecks. Just so people can find it.
Steve Blanchard

Postby Chris A. » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:14 pm

I have the exact same Spitfire kit in that series. All of $.69 back in the early 60's. Althogh they are about the same size as the current WWII 20" wingspan kits, the construction is very different. The fuselage in the old kits is "box and former" instead of "keel and half bulkhead". Both my Spitfire and a Hurricane are a very basic build. No canopy and a small red prop, red nosepiece and two little red wheels. The wing ribs are convex on both surfaces so you have to prop up the leading and trailing edges when building. However by making the trailing edge blocks a little thicker at the wing tips, you can build in just the washout you want. I built the Hurricane and it came out straight and very light. These should fly well with a good prop and new rubber. Glad to see someone kitting them again.
Chris A.

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:43 pm

On the side of the box it says that kits 50-1, 50-2, 50-3 and 50-12 had plastic canopies that came with the kit.

I am a huge fan of the 900 Series kits. The new catalog says that the 900 Series kits contain " Quality Balsa." I found this to be very true with my new Bird Dog kit. I was so happy with the wood that I ordered another 900 Series kit. I think that by using good wood in the 900 series kit that this will improve the popularity of the 900 series kits. I have always thought that a 900 series Corsair would be a great candidate as a new 900 Series kit.
WIDDOG

Previous

Return to General Building Questions