Wid's kit 902 Bird Dog

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Wid's kit 902 Bird Dog

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:39 am

The kit I ordered from Guillow's arrived very promptly. It was packed very well. I am happy with the kit wood. I decided I am going to take a run at this years G Challenge.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:20 pm

Got some more work done on my Bird Dog Build. I noticed that the kit wood on this brand new kit I ordered from Guillow's is very good wood. The major problem I had with Guillow's wood in the past was that some of the parts sheets had "Heavy" wood and some had "Lite" wood sheets. This would cause one side of the model to be a different weight than the other side. With mismatched wood caused the fuselage to warp like a banana. Anyway I measured the weight of the rough framed wings they came out the same weight. Also a problem I had in the past was the "Lite" wood would just crumble up like dry leaves. I am still very picky about wood but I have to admit that this kit anyway has "Good" wood.

WIDDOG

Postby PsyberPhlier » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:54 pm

Great start, WID. Gotta love the Bird Dog.

A little piece of advice I can offer... Put stiffeners on all of the formers. The kit has you only do C,D,E but they are all so fragile that they snap easily. I had less than a gram of weight penalty to do all of them.

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:47 pm

Even though I think it is great advice. I decided that this build I was going to follow the directions as closely as possible. I don't plan on winning the G Challenge but I do plan on entering.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:00 am

I am going to use the white tissue that came with the kit to cover the model. I than may paint the model green and add the decals.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:47 pm

I decided that since I usually use colored paper and not paint to go ahead and try painting. I think the model will look better painted.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:55 pm

Well I finished the Bird Dog today. I will work on flying now. I am working on trying to get my models to look better. I ordered a 900 Series Mustang and will post here about the build. I'm just trying to move the big topic board. BTW I have a hat video camera and hopefully be able to get some flying video. I decided not to enter this model in the G Challenge. I will attempt the Bird Dog again soon.

WIDDOG

Postby PsyberPhlier » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:55 pm

Well WID, how does she fly?

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:48 pm

I was able to get some trim and balance flights in. It flew really well on 150 winds. Tomorrow morning weather permitting i'll try and fly her. Actually the Corsair flew well too but I had a bad launch. The wings are kind of fragile. It really didn't crash that hard... the wing just snapped right off.

WIDDOG

Postby PsyberPhlier » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Glad to hear everything flew well WID.

Really too bad that the Corsair thought it would work better sans a wing...

You going to fix it?

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:28 pm

I don't think i'm going to fix the Corsair's wing. At this moment in time i'm kind of on a 900 Series kit fad. I had in the past built a scratch Peanut Corsair. I have some video of it. I would really like it if Guillow's added a 500 series Corsair.
https://youtu.be/Y-LPAfji0uI
WIDDOG

Postby Billy Mc » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:11 pm

Nice Wid, and cool choice of music.
Billy
Billy Mc

Postby PsyberPhlier » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:02 pm

Ahh man WID. I haven't heard that music in years. Always loved that show.

Nice flying!

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks I like mixing photography and model airplanes. I wish I was a bit better at both but I guess getting better is part of the hobby.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:55 pm

Guillow's has my ordered Mustang shipped already. I dug out my old Guillow's model of a Spritfire. I don't think I will have enough time to build the Spritfire before the Mustang arrives via Priority Mail.

I noticed that the Spirfire kit 50 10 has other 50 series kits pictured. It appears that the 900 series kits of today where 50 series kits at one time. i.e. Bird Dog, Chipmunk Hurricane and T 28. The box says... Rubber Powered models (except-Russian Mig -15) designed for long stable flights and flat glides. Light tissue and balsa stick construction popular among discriminating model builders.

Also I noticed that the Spitfire instructions are similar to the 900 instructions. Of course it does not have the sheet panel fuselage sides but it is very close in other ways to the 900 series kits.

The kit comes with die cut Balsa parts. It does have the parts pictured on the instruction sheet as well. So I could cut the parts out and save the original kit.

Lastly I noticed a Vought Corsair picture on the side of the box kit no 50-11. I have been looking for a kind of 900 series-ish kit of a Corsair.

WIDDOG

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions