Wid's kit 902 Bird Dog

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Wid's kit 902 Bird Dog

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:36 am

Hi David,

Sounds like a good idea about the 1/16 plywood. I think as a minimum for the 900 Series kits is that they should come with the Guillow's D6 propeller instead of the D5 propeller.

As a thought,

I think they should come out with a Peanut Series kits. I really like the 500 series kits. However, to be perfectly honest they are made for Multi Purpose. i.e Cox motor. not that that's a bad thing. Its just that IMHO nobody really uses a Cox motor anymore. I think a Peanut Series designed solely for rubber power would be a real good idea. Yes there would be up front costs but I'm sure they would catch on quickly with the Guillow's Customers.

Keith
WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:18 pm

I got lucky, and a fellow I used to work with belongs to an R.C. Club around the Philly region,And I know it sounds strange but unless you know a member,and belong to the AMA,; It's very hard to join a club. I guess they sort of are like those outlaw Motorcycle Clubs, but in a silly kind of way. I will be like a "prospect", and probably made to do all the tasks and responsibilities no one else wants. But whatever. I got the email address of the president his self, and he seems a nice guy. I told him I built these Guillows RC conversions, and lack the experience to do a Maiden flight, and set trim, etc. It didn't take so much work to build and finish the models as per plans, but the fitting,arranging,learning about proper motor ESC Rx setups,and wingloading, and all took me 2 yrs to get the Zero to where I 'm sure it'll fly, and 1 year to complete my Edge.I thought the Edge build was my best ever, as I incorporated a lot of things from the beginning that I learned from looking at other RC designs, and read a lot of periodicals. I get M>A>N>, Electric flight, And my favorite one is Fly RC.And I think I may have just got a subscription to a sailplane & Free Flight magazine. I get online editions automatically, but I still like the real paper ones better. I just joined AMA,but yet to get their publication.One had a 3 part conversion to RC from rubber of a 30"WS Dumas Piper Cub. I got the Idea for the tray that comes out from that series of articles.Also there are invaluable articles about what planes to fly at certain skill levels, and how to improve your flying skills as well.I cant even do a loop yet(on purpose anyway),I can take off, fly around a circle,or figure 8, and land 90% of the time perfectly.But i'm not ready to launch a Warbird, or especially a stunt plane (Edge 540) with enough power to go vertical forever.I'm reading about landing ImageImage,and the wingtip stall on tapered wing, ans so on; So when the time comes and this happens, I atleast have a chance at recovery. I Love it, and I always will.Unfortunately,my next project is not a Guillows,but a build from a plan I bought. A 32" WS Sparrow. a 1930ish German designed British built plane. It is perfect for my next step.But I will be completing my Pt-17 at the same time, so I will still be posting.I'll have to sneak My Swallow in the photo backgrounds or something.But I got ple :mrgreen: nty of Guillows kits in stock so they should'nt be upset.And I got a camera too .so you can see my pics clearly.But now I gotta load them in photobucket cause their too big,bit I wrote down when Widdog told me how so i can do it.Oh, and it's 1/64" plywood.1/16 is way too heavy for Free ImageFlight.http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/david ... b.jpg.html
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:24 am

I did reduce this Guillow's 900 Series kit down to a Peanut Scale model. My flying field/baseball field is too small for the full size kits.

http://youtu.be/P4zDNqiiiIQ
WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:27 pm

Flies nice ! I hope for a flight even half as long and in a perfect turn as tous. . 4 seconds is like a record for me ! Maybe I'll have better luck with my Lancer. My Javelin did O.K., but it was more a learning experience.
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks David,

I am a fan of your RC conversions. Also I have been following your Lancer posts as well. For those of you new to the forum I'm totally no good at RC building/flying. Lucky for me I like FF.

I have not been posting much. I have been working on Scratch Building Peanut scale models. Here is a pic of my Peanut Ta 154 that I'm sneaking into the post.

WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:42 pm

I like it. Was it a night fighter,or one of the attempts the Germans made at copying the performance of the Mosquito? Anyway, how did you do the decals?
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:30 am

The way I did the decals ... I made a copy of a set of decals from a Guillow's kit. Than I scan/copy them to the printer. I than printed them out on to tissue. I cut out and glued the decals onto the model with 50/50 white glue and water.
WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:25 am

there's no problems with the tissue jamming the printer? I WILL TRY THIS AS LONG AS ITS OK FOR MY PRINTER.i GOT A hp oFIICRJET PRINTER/SCANNER.
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:42 am

First I send a blank sheet through the printer and print the decals onto it. I than cover and tape the tissue over the printed area. I than re-feed the paper/tissue covered through the printer and re-print the sheet. The tissue/paper comes out of the printer with decals printed on the tissue.
WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:23 pm

I get it. Thanx.
davidchoate

Postby David Lewis » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:15 pm

Plywood is good for two things: when you have concentrated loads, especially bearing loads, and when you need an isotropic material. An isotropic material has the same strength in all directions. (Balsa is non-isotropic because it has a grain.) The downside is that plywood strength-to-weight ratio is lower than balsa.
David Lewis

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Thanks much David,

I have been working with wood grain directions and different woods. A problem I have heard about with the 900 Series kits is that where the wing attaches to the fuselage is a "Weak Point". I think the plywood would fix this problem. Interesting still is I believe Guillow's is going to go with a increased thickness of wood in their new 900 Series kits. I believe they are going to go with 1/16 inch wood. I think they should go with the D6 propeller as well but we shall see.
WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:58 am

I usually reinforce my RC conv. with1/64" ply. It's expensive. But flexible strong, and about the same weight as 1/16" balsa.
davidchoate

Postby Angie332 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:44 pm

WOW!! That looks like fun to fly like that.:-)
Angie332

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:33 pm

Thanks Angie332

I love this hobby and photography but mixing the two together is totally challenging to say the least. Here is my best 900 series video. http://youtu.be/nHXhz9eQK9g

I recommend the 900 Series to beginners. They are a great kits. "6 Scale Flying Models easy to build rubber powered Jobs"
WIDDOG

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions