Mini Models #4505 Stunt Flyer

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Mini Models #4505 Stunt Flyer

Postby hunterdude » Sun May 18, 2014 6:31 pm

Thought I would take a break and play a little...the warbirds interest me more in this series but this one has the thickest wing profile, I want to see if that slows it down and makes more lift. Part of me wants to see how light I can build it...the other part says build it stock as a reference point for future builds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hunterdude

Re: Mini Models #4505 Stunt Flyer

Postby hunterdude » Sun May 18, 2014 7:28 pm

Decided to go stock build for a tough bird I can bring to work and practice my trim skills on break time
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hunterdude

Postby Mitch » Sun May 18, 2014 8:09 pm

Okay... Is this a challenge? I got my stunt flyer a while back. (The 4500's were the first Guillow's models that Skyway Model Shop carried! Now he carries a lot more Guillow's... He is primarily a plastic shop.)

Just opened up the package and I see the plans say "If you would like to build a lighter & better flying model, build it w/o the landing gear."

I'm going wheel-less! :D

Mitch
Mitch

Postby hunterdude » Sun May 18, 2014 8:41 pm

I like a little competition! Yes, you want to go without wheels. The P-40 comes out around 14grams with wheels...11.5 grams without....is touchy to trim and balance...I want to RC one later but for now like to practice trim as free flight...should be good practice for trimming warbirds later...are you going stock or light weight? I want to build both ways :)
hunterdude

Postby davidchoate » Sun May 18, 2014 10:29 pm

If U RC one. I would modify the plans to be much larger.
davidchoate

Postby hunterdude » Sun May 18, 2014 10:38 pm

That would work well...however I have some tiny plantraco gear. I have successfully RC convert a 10" wing span so I want to give these a go...it will be heavily modified. I will post pics but not on the build table yet.
hunterdude

Postby davidchoate » Sun May 18, 2014 10:56 pm

AS you must know. I dabble in FF RC, And Display. I would be so grateful if u show me how u hook up ur linkages, and do your modifications. Thanx
davidchoate

Postby hunterdude » Mon May 19, 2014 5:45 am

I will post pics of control rods. I use very light music wire for my control rods, Super light for the super micro builds I source it from music store.It is thinner than most hobby shops stock, is really a guitar string. I do not recommend that light for 16 in wing span and Park zone size RC gear.
Are we going to stay with stock prop for the Mini-Models challenge? Or is upgrades allowed? :)
hunterdude

Postby Mitch » Mon May 19, 2014 9:52 am

Since the prop is assembled in the sleeve already I was planning to use the kit prop. Also I think we are all experimenting with this new kit. I do not think there are any rules... I am doing this for fun and plan to share the performance results I get. I plan to use the full length of the kit rubber, that will make 2 loops. Moreover I plan to lubricate and braid the rubber. I hope that will give me more turns and more torque. I will post pictures of how I do that. Mitch
Mitch

Postby hunterdude » Mon May 19, 2014 9:30 pm

Progress is slow, it can be difficult for me to get build time mid week. This is actually my second build from the 4500 series so I can share a couple things. The first one I built was the P-40 warhawk...one of the issues is the prop bearing is Teflon or some type slippery plastic tubing, its a neat design because is so slim it is hidden inside the fuse even though the fuse is a profile there is laser cut side plates that totally surround the plastic tube bearing..the tube Must stick out the front about 1/16" so the prop does not rub on balsa fuse...the issue is CA glue and wood glue will not stick to the slippery tube so it slides back from rubber motor pressure till prop rubs on fuse. I solved this by rough up the O.D. of tube with course sand paper and even filed some micro V nicks in with needle file.now glue has something to grab and she is holding solid.
Also I did not like applying the wing covering "stickers" they are crinkley type plastic film and do not conform well to the curves on a warbird wing tips and leading edge where problem areas. On the plus side the film is tough and ads strength and shows off the wing structure.
hunterdude

Postby hunterdude » Mon May 19, 2014 9:59 pm

Also when they bent the prop shaft wire on the front...the little 90 deg bend that drives on the prop ramp notch, the bend fixture must not support the straight part where the hole in the prob rides so my prop wobbled a bit and did not free wheel well...a little tweak with a pair of needle nose pliers and all is well.
I calculate that covering the wings with Esaki tissue may save around 3/4 gram or more...but I am build this one bone stock as learning to trim a low wing is my primary goal right now, then try a modifyed one to see how much if any I can improve...I easily got the advertised 50 feet flight on my first build but don't think I have gotten more than 80 ft on first build. I would welcome any trimming advice!
hunterdude

Postby Mitch » Mon May 19, 2014 10:36 pm

Last night put 1 side cowl and clamped, popped out all the pieces and looked over instructions. My build board was occupied with my 401 Me109 wing, so the wing had to wait. Tonight I put the prop in, and clamped the other cowl half, tail is on and the rear peg is in. The wings are pinned to build board. I will let things dry over night. Plan to do a bit of sanding on the wing to remove the burn mark and cut away the excess W3 as I will not be using the landing gear.

I am using White Glue.

I expect total construction time ... less than 1 hour. Waiting for glue to dry... a few hours.
Mitch

Postby hunterdude » Tue May 20, 2014 5:54 am

Mitch, I just viewed a picture of your Red Bull Edge on a different thread....it looks amazing! I look forward to your thoughts on the mini models. I seemed to get flight only on the first half of motor run with a single loop of rubber, then with 2 loops she was a rocket ship but I was not in good enough state of trim to handle the extra power...most of my free flight experience is with slow gentle stable high wings but I want to fly a bf-109 this summer. I did play around with a larger peck silver prop with promising results..it seem to slow the rpm of prop down on 2 strand motor giving a little longer motor run. I did not give the Guillows prop a proper amount of attention so I will on this one.
hunterdude

Postby Mitch » Tue May 20, 2014 9:12 am

Here is my Stunt Flyer with the wings just plugged in. They need to be covered and glued:

I noticed the hook was touching the inside of the opening while turning, so I opened that up a bit more with my x-acto.

And here is a picture of my Edge:

Oh, wait,sorry that 's the wrong picture...

Here is my model:

After her Guillow challenge flight (flew 17 seconds) I took her to a static show at the Boieng Museum of flight... The next time I do that I will have a dozen Guillow catalogs to hand out! The show was presented by a local RC club, but ALL flying models were invited!

Mitch... Keep Building, Keep Flying, Keep Spreading the FUN!
Mitch

Postby hunterdude » Tue May 20, 2014 9:32 am

That's a better pic of the Edge than I saw before...looks perfect!
I had to clear out for the rubber hook to, perhaps this hook is used in larger planes as well. The wire thickness is pretty beefy. Another problem area I forgot to mention is the wire rear rubber peg is a tight press fit in fuse and the cuts in balsa for where it goes weaken the fuse. Plenty strong to hold the rubber but I have had the fuse break in this area on a crash landing.
Your Stunt Flyer looks great...at this rate you may maiden before me, I will be waiting impatiently....:)
hunterdude

Next

Return to General Building Questions