Cessna 170

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Cessna 170

Postby markm » Mon May 12, 2014 10:19 am

HAHA

Thanks David, I am still in the process of sanding honestly. I am still working on my paint by numbers and don't plan to paint the plane until I get that done. So I have been doing sanding, spackling and sanding to the plane while I paint by numbers. I am hoping to get everything finished up within a few weeks. I can tell you this, the Cessna is looking nice and is smooth as a baby bottom. But I want to get a few areas done again and get it as smooth as glass. I will post a few picks later today or tommorrow after I sand her down a bit.

Mark
markm

Postby markm » Mon May 12, 2014 7:24 pm

Okay, as I said I would. Here are some pics of where I am as of and hour ago. Still not happy with the sanding job so more spackle and more sanding to be done. What I am finding is that as I sand down, some of the infilled pieces get loose because I have sanded through the glue. So then more glue and more sanding. I think it is one of those things you could o forever. I think I will spackle all pieces once more, sand smooth and start the assembly and doping.

One other pic, its not a Guillows but a fun project I did with my boy yesterday....

Mark
markm

Postby davidchoate » Mon May 12, 2014 9:13 pm

you should be using Ca glue. I have not had any problems with infill coming loose. You can glue the loose pieces from the inside so it dont get on the spackle. It looks like it should be sanded almost down to the wood to remove any high spots, then another spackling.
davidchoate

Postby markm » Mon May 12, 2014 9:20 pm

I am using CA but was not gluing from the inside which I think would have helped as the glue would be on the bottom. I just dabbed a small dot on a few sides and figured it was good. While I am sanding a few of the sides get loose so I have to reglue.

I will be applying more spackle to all pieces this week. Maybe even tonight. We will see. My wife went to a volunteer Girl Scout leader meeting so some couch time might be in order. lol

Mark
markm

Postby markm » Wed May 21, 2014 6:07 pm

And so the covering begins. I've sanded, spackled, resanded, respackled, etc. 5 coats of dope lightly sanded in between coats. She was shiny and smooth. Bought the heaviest silk span I could find and have started covering.

Question. When covering wet and in sections between formers do you cover a section, allow to dry and trim, add a section, allow to dry and trim, repeat.....or do a section, slightly overlap, repeat.....

Thanks,

Mark
markm

Postby davidchoate » Wed May 21, 2014 8:48 pm

If ur spacle and sanding is as smooth as a babs butt; then there is no need to cover. Im gonna pull up my edsge build and theres even david duckett advice from him in it.
davidchoate

Previous

Return to General Building Questions