Cessna 170

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Cessna 170

Postby markm » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:49 am

Hi all,

Just a quick little update on the Cessna. Been working on her a few hours a night after the kids hit the hay. I have been infilling the fuselage and am about half way done. I also spackled the wings and trail pieces. Sanded one wing and will have to put on another later and sand again. It feels like I don't know what I'm doing but I we will see how things look after I give it another go.

A few nights ago my wife looked over and laughed at me. She found it funny that I had my magnifier out. I guess I looked older than my years. I don't see what's so funny, do you?

Mark
markm

Postby davidchoate » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:46 am

It looks very good Mark. Your supposed to feel that way on your first time doing this. You are doing good, and I think youre going to be pleased at the outcome. It looks way better than my first attempt. Keep the pics coming, and have patience. wait till the sanding. I would sand, stare at it, sand, and stare, so on, and so on for like 2 weeks. Finally I was convinced that I could go on spotting imperfections that no one else will see, forever, and I put the dope on, and it was sooo smooth.
davidchoate

Postby markm » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:27 pm

Thanks for the advice David. Its crazy to be so confused about something that should be straightforward. But I guess doing anything right takes that knowledge that I have yet to gain. I like your idea and will do so. Sand until I can't sand no more!

Once I get to the painting I will need some step by steps. It seems that some tissue over the infilled pieces, some seal and then paint, etc etc. I have NO clue what I need to do at that point so look for my posts.

I did go and look at the Painting with Acrylics but David D's posts have been deleted out so I am missing half the story there. I did reach out to him but he does not have the initial post anymore, I'm hoping someone here might have saved it??

More work tonight I am sure!

Mark
markm

Postby SpiceMan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:46 pm

Greetings Mark.
Just thought I'd jump in here and comment that your work on the 170 looks fantastic :!:
As you probably know, I also completed a build of this kit last year, and posted a bunch of pics on this site. This was my first attempt at doing a rubber powered plane. Turns out that it didn't fly worth a darn, but that was my fault for putting too much weight in the nose during the balancing process. :cry: The good thing was that it actually survived 2 "hard landings" with NO DAMAGE. :D
As I mentioned in my build thread, and I'm sure you'll agree ... this kit is just an EXCELLENT kit, and a real pleasure to build! Guillow's has done an outstanding job with all the laser cut parts, and the design, so that everything lines-up (and fits) perfectly :!: :!:
I'm sure that you'll be very proud ( as I was ) when you finish her, and I'm sure that it will make for a MUCH APPRECIATED gift. 8)
So, as others have already said ... keep up the good work, and keep those pictures coming. :)
SpiceMan

Postby markm » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:22 pm

Spiceman, I completely agree with you. Great kit, love the laser cut parts. I've bought 2 more Guillows models and neither are laser cut so I'm interested to see how they all fit together.

My rainy day kits

my son went to play at a friends house so I got some work done this afternoon. Got her all in filled minus the two spots where the wheels go. I might play around with that tonight but I want to look for more realistic wheels. We will see what I can find.

Mark
markm

Postby David Lewis » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:23 pm

Balsa planking is an alternative building technique used to simulate monocoque skin. The formers and ribs are 1/32" or 1/16" undersize to allow for the thickness of sheet surfaces, which are glued to the outside of the frames.
David Lewis

Postby davidchoate » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:40 am

Mark. AS not having much more experience than you, it is hard to give answers to all your questions, but I can tell u what I knw. after you sandand apply dope it will be hard to go back and touch up with spackle. Dope kinda hardens it and new over old leaves obvious scars.so get your filling 100% satisfactory. 3 coats of 40% thinned dope should work. You can adjust these mixtures to youre own preference.Tissue is not my first choice for a display model. use silk span, or another similar product.These products, though having similar outcomes seem to all have their own individual characteristics when it comes to application. Again you will find what woks well for you.Or in my case. What I can get easily. It is not always best to combine infilled spacled and tissued over on the same surface. you dont want a wing panel with tissued and not tissued portions as this will make an uneven underlay for painting. After this you choose your finish. Usually Acrylic or regular spraypaint. I like them both honestly, but regular spray paints stick to plastic, and make a lighter usually quicker time of things. I probably will never use acrylic finish for a flying model. In fact I try to use no finish. And you are using 1/32" for infill? It looks thicker in the photos. THinner is easier on curves. There are other posts by other Modelers with alot more experience than I at display and acrylics. I wish I had saved painting with acrylics post. Sorry. If no one jumps in I will tell u what I knw along the way, but it looks like youre doing quite well so far, and theres always the next model.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:50 am

Mark. Make sure you dont use any water based dope for your finish over the spackle. it must be the old school stuff. If you cant get that easily, I would maybe try a clear laquer spray enamel or I've seen guys on here try floor finishes and stuff,Im not sure of the end result of water base dope on the spackle is, but I remember being told not to use it. Oh, when I told my ex wife I was only interested in models, and that I needed some dope, she thought I was paying for ladies, and using drugs. Women dont usually get into the airplanes. Some do. I never understood why they dont. It is like Arts & Crafts. It is Arts & Crafts.
davidchoate

Postby Steve Blanchard » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:11 pm

Mark/David,
If you do finish with dope and find some defects that need more fill there is a way to do that actually yields very nice results. Just take a small glass jar and put some dope into it (not too much) add talcum powder (Baby powder) to make a spreadable paste. Use it to fill the spots that are an issue. Comes out like glass after you sand it.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby markm » Fri May 02, 2014 11:49 am

Been a few days so I wanted to give a quick update. The Cessna is on hold for a minute while I learn to paint. I want to give my models a decent paint job and realized Idon't have the foggiest idea of what I am doing when it comes to that. It was recommended that I pick up a paint by numbers kit and learn to use a brush, so that is what I am doing. I did pull the Cessna wings and tail section down yesterday and sanded everything smooth. Have a few areas to respackle and go over again. Little by little it is taking shape.

Here is the new project...

markm

Postby Steve Blanchard » Fri May 02, 2014 1:50 pm

WOW! That's a lot of infilling. I could never do it. That must have taken hours. By the way you probably could have traced the tail pieces onto balsa sheet and cut them out as single finished pieces ready for sanding.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby davidchoate » Sat May 03, 2014 12:01 am

Mark.i KNOW THIS.uSE GOOD BRUSHES.ARE YOU DOING ACRYLIC? I THINK U SHOULD ON A DISPLAY. i will help you with that.
davidchoate

Postby markm » Tue May 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Steve, yes, many hours worth of infilling. But it is taking shape. I started sanding everything and it is looking really nice.

David, acrylics it is. I bought some decent brushes and the painting is coming along nicely. I am hoping that the painting and sanding will conclude around the same time so I can get the plane into the paint shop and get everything looking nice.

I now have 3 planes ready and waiting for me to complete the projects I have going. Just got that P51 laser cut model yesterday. That has been the one that has caught my eye since day one.
markm

Postby davidchoate » Thu May 08, 2014 6:12 am

my p51 900 series in acrylic. you can see how nice it looks.and I only infilled the bottom of the fuselage. the wings are jut covered in tisue
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Mon May 12, 2014 8:10 am

I cant wait to see your plane painted. The suspense is killing me.
davidchoate

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions