Field box contents

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Field box contents

Postby Grabber » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:57 pm

What are you packing in your free flight field box?

Grabber
Grabber

Re: Field box contents

Postby Mitch » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:09 am

1. Winder
2. Push Stick
3. Spare propellers
4. Rubber
5. Clay
6. CA Glue
7. X-Acto knife
8. Extra Balsa
9. Small screw driver
...and
10. a Stop Watch! :D
Mitch

Postby stx44 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:27 am

Ok, whats a push stick???
stx44

Postby Mitch » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:11 am

It is a long stick about 18 inches (whatever you need) to help load your motor. The end is such that you can load the end of the rubber into the model and insert your rear peg though the rubber, then remove the stick. Mine is too long for my field box and I apparently misplaced it. :oops: So no picture. NEED to find that before flight season.

Before I had this, I had an access hole in the bottom of each model to assist in this process. I made a stick from a wood dowel as per Don Ross' book, but now I have a manufactured aluminum one (somewhere). I bought this from a vendor at my first FAC contest.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:04 pm

You also need an Oh!...Oh! hook. This a long piece of stiff wire with a hook in the end for pulling out a rubber motor when it breaks and balls up in the back of the model behind the motor peg. :)

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby Mitch » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:35 pm

Speaking of hooks, before I used a push stick I used a hook. Use the music wire from a 400 series kit (if you don't make the landing gear), bend a hook on the end. With a access hole in the bottom of the model it is easy to attach the rubber motor, then pass the wire and hook the motor and pull it forward...
easy peasy... Mitch
Mitch

Postby stx44 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:27 pm

Ahh, I see- Ive always referred to my "pushstick" as a loading hook- I use a piece of wire about 18 inches long. I use wire as I can bend it slightly to make it easier to fit (depending on the model), and I can adjust the hook on the end.

My kit is limited to clay, duct tape, a tube of glue, a knife , and some small balsa strip.

Most of my flying is done before or after work- I can usually get a few flights in each day, so anything requiring much repair is just left til I get home.
stx44

Postby Grabber » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:38 am

Thanks, to every one for the info. I have just finished my only plane for the year. It is a 904 Skyraider it has a great glide. On forty turns of Peck 3/16"x13"with a 5" peck prop it seemed to have a great flight of over 35'. Hope to get to fly it farther soon. It has snowed here again in Indiana, in mid April, it has been a real long winter. That might be why only one plane has been built this year, just to much snow to shovel. This plane did not require any weight to be added to the nose due to planking in the nose to former D. The nose was also re enforced with two extra disk of balsa as well as laminating a ring to take the place of the plastic one. It weighed in at 24.6 g. with all stock Guillow wood. I did not use landing gear and did not use both W2's just one. Will see how this works out.

Grabber
Grabber

Postby Mitch » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:33 am

As I am going to the field for test flights I thought of something else I need to pack.

1. Some manila folder paper
2. Roll of scotch tape
3. Scissors

I may (not always) need to add a trim tab. I find the manila folder will hold its shape when I bend it. If I use a trim tab it will be on one wing out by the aileron about 1/2 inch by 2 inches.

Good Flying to all... Spring has finally arrived in the NW!
Mitch

Return to General Building Questions