Spitfire and Mosquito

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Spitfire and Mosquito

Postby Tienmac » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:59 pm

I am currently building a Spitfire 403 LC kit. The laser cut parts fit really well. This will be a static scale model to represent a Spitfire Mk IX flown by an RCAF squadron 412 pilot in WWII. He was shot down in the aircraft in August 1944. I have the fuselage built and will start the wing next. I am debating on modelling movable control surfaces or just paint them on with the panel lines. I also will make modifications to change the kit from an earlier mark to a Mk IX, such as four bladed propeller and symmetrical radiators under the wings. I will upload photos when I get home at the end of the week.
This week on a business trip, I purchased a Mosquito MK IV 804 kit. I plan on modelling an RCAF Mossie built in Canada by DeHavilland. My Grandfather was an AC2 who serviced Mosquitos before they left Canada for England. I will upload photos of this untouched kit when I return home this weekend. I feel very fortunate to have obtained this kit. I may not build until next winter as spring is around the corner and it's time to go back to flying R/C aircraft and helicopters at our local club field. Any input on building these kits is appreciated.

Tien
Tienmac

Re: Spitfire and Mosquito

Postby twospruces » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:32 pm

I just gave my 804 mossie kit to my brother in law; hope he has a good time building it as he had a relative who build mossies in Ontario north of Toronto.

Now I have to watch ebay for another one!
twospruces

Postby Tienmac » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:40 am

I purchased the kit, south of Toronto in St. Catharines Ontario. I'll post pictures on the weekend.
Tienmac

Postby Tienmac » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Here are a couple pics of the Mossie kit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tienmac

Postby twospruces » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:00 pm

did you find it in a shop, or online?
twospruces

Postby Tienmac » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:26 pm

I found it online. The fellow purchased the kit and several other airplane kits about 15 or more years ago from an LHS which was going out of business. I feel fortunate to find an untouched kit, it was opened to look inside.
Tienmac

Postby Tienmac » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:43 pm

I built the fuselage last weekend and the wing today. The project is coming along nicely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tienmac

Postby davidchoate » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:23 pm

Looks very nice so far
davidchoate

Postby twospruces » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:27 pm

are you going to try and fly the spitfire?
nice looking work there...
twospruces

Postby Tienmac » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:01 pm

Thanks, i have larger R/C planes and helicopters. I am building this as a static model depicting a Saskatchewan man's Spitfire Mk IX from RCAF squadron 412
Tienmac

Postby Tienmac » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:13 am

Update pics on the Spitfire. I'm just checking the general fit of the parts. Still more fit and finish sanding before covering.
Tienmac

Postby mustangman » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:36 pm

:D I have a mossie kit i got on ebay .It was missing alot of the parts but I have all the plastics canopy and nacelles . I then purchased 2 sets of lazer cut parts for it.I'am not sure if i will build it as i have a mustang 1970 mach 1 to concentrate on.Mark
mustangman

Postby twospruces » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi, can you say where you got the laser cut parts for the mossie kit? thanks-
twospruces

Return to General Building Questions